Chapter 4

AN UNFAMILIAR MAN UNLOCKED the front door to Zion Auditorium. He wore an olive green cap that highlighted his dark skin and a beige sweater vest paired with brown dress pants. Scarlet wondered how he could withstand the California heat with that outfit, but the lightness of his movements and the easy grin that stretched over his lips showed how comfortable he was in his own skin.

She appreciated the gumption to be himself despite standing out amid the crowd. It was something she strived to do every day of her life. Though she never walked around in sweater vests and caps, she wore her signature eyeliner all over her eyes and stomped around Hales Bay in her black combat boots.

The auditorium doors spread open for the public, the man whooshing his arms dramatically to urge them forward. Scarlet walked inside, attempting to smother her awe. The building was made with careful consideration and a confidence of a decent turnout for events. The place was huge with red velvet seats and high ceilings. A large, polished stage stood on the front, waiting to be performed on.

Stanford walked through a door, and the lights switched on, showcasing a greater radiance all over the building.

"I cannot wait to see backstage," someone squealed. Scarlet agreed, imagining just how luxurious the rest of the place must be.

The man who had opened the doors whistled for everyone's attention. "Listen up, everyone! I'm David Williams, Lexton Prep's theatre teacher." Loud whoops followed from deep within the crowd. "There are two groups here for two separate things. Those of you who will be auditioning for the play will all sit at the front with me. Everyone here who is going to work behind the scenes will all go with Ms. Stanford in the corner."

Ms. Stanford waved from her place beside a small row of seats.

"This is the first time that Lexton Prep and Winter Bay join forces, and it's going to be wonderful to work together to make art. I know I'm more acquainted with my Lexton students and their abilities, but I'm excited to see what Winter Bay has to offer. I don't know if Ms. Stanford has anything else to add." Mr. Williams pointed over to her.

Ms. Stanford smiled. "Hello, everyone! I'm Ms. Candace Stanford. As opposed to Mr. Williams, I'm more acquainted with my Winter Bay students, who I'm sure will perform greatly."

A snicker rose from the back. "Yeah, alright."

Scarlet clenched her jaw as the Preppies around her fought to hide their chuckles.

"Anyway...I'm excited to meet so many new faces and get to work on this play. If you have any questions, whether you're from Lexton or Winter Bay, you can come to me. I'm always happy to help."

Scarlet crossed her arms, resisting the urge to roll her eyes. She could tell Ms. Stanford lied right through her teeth, annoyed at the Preppies for their behavior. They had just entered the auditorium, and the feud crackled in the air like an obvious thunderstorm waiting to take land. Ms. Stanford and Mr. Williams could play professional all they wanted, but, deep down, they knew they were going to have to navigate the hardest feud in all of Hales Bay.

The groups broke out after a few more minutes. Scarlet ignored the weird stares coming from Preppies towards all Winter Bay students, and followed Ms. Stanford into the far right side of the auditorium.

Scarlet thought they'd plop on the floor or on the velvet seats around a corner, but Ms. Stanford continued walking until she made it to the edge of the stage, went up the steps towards a side door, and motioned for everyone else to follow her to the back. The space was dark, and the other students around her murmured. Some bumped into her, apologizing quickly, until Ms. Stanford turned on the lights.