Chapter 29

REHEARSALS HALTED AS EVERYONE struggled to move the balcony to the stage. Scarlet placed her hands over the foam stones, careful not to unglue the fake moss, and acted as a hold so the rest of the crew could lift it onto a wheeled elevation. She expected with the amount of hands helping, it would be an easy task.

But she almost got squashed by a student-made balcony.

When seven o'clock rolled around, Scarlet heaved on a random audience chair, leaning her head against the red velvet as she closed her eyes. Sierra bounced on her heels as she ranted about the evening's events, still laughing at being scolded by Ms. Stanford for eating Oreos.

Scarlet was included in the scolding, but it went in one ear and out the other. She was more focused on moving, adjusting, taking away, and replacing props all over the stage.

"Well, I hope this was a good birthday, Scar," Sierra said, plopping on the seat next to her. Scarlet ran her hands down her cheek as she remembered once again what day it was. "Which reminds me... I got you something."

"What?" Scarlet asked, looking over as her friend bent down over her bag. Sierra retrieved a flat box wrapped in brown, a singular red bow sat on top. "Sie! What the hell?"

Sierra grinned. "You thought I didn't get you anything? Come on now. Open it up."

Scarlet grabbed the box, wondering what was inside. With careful movements, she unraveled the red bow, letting it fall limp on her lap as she went ahead to rip open the wrapper.

"Sie..." Scarlet trailed off as she took in the original box "I don't even know what to say."

Sierra laughed. She got her a pumpkin pie, her favorite, but the box read a nice customized phrase right on the top: Perfect date, screw Jake in golden calligraphy. Scarlet clasped a hand over her mouth.

"Hey, guys..." Jake leaned over Scarlet's shoulder as she spluttered. Sierra jumped out of her seat, red in the face as she hid her guffaws. "What is that?"

Scarlet leaned over the pie, letting out her laughs.

"Did you give her this?" Jake aimed at Sierra. Scarlet looked up to find her friend nodding enthusiastically. Not an ounce of regret graced her face. Jake gasped in disbelief. "No," he extended the word and pointed at the calligraphy. "Don't listen to her, Scarlet. I'm the perfect date, not her or anyone else!"

Scarlet grinned up at Jake, who narrowed his eyes over at Sierra. The lightness in the air surrounded the three of them, exhaustion stealing away the need to take everything serious. Jake fought off a laugh, lips twitching as he tried to keep a scowl on his features.

"Aye, just to be clear, I'm gonna be at the wedding," Sierra said, pointing at Scarlet. "But you might not, so know your place, dude."

His jaw fell to the floor as Scarlet gasped. Even she couldn't defend that.

"That was brutal, Sierra," Jake said, placing a hand on his heart. "But whatever. It's fine."

Scarlet reached for his hand, and he interlaced their fingers as he stuck his tongue out at Sierra. She laughed.

"Anyway, I gotta head out," Sierra said. "You—" she pointed at Scarlet "—have a good rest of your birthday and stop stressing. And you—" she then pointed at Jake "—be careful with my best friend. Bye!"

"Bye, loser!" Scarlet called out. Sierra flipped her off with a smile as she walked out of the auditorium.

Jake whistled. "I swear there's something in whatever Winter Bay's feeding you all."