Chapter 39

ARMS SNAKED AROUND HER waist and pulled her closer. She took that as a good sign and climbed over his lap. A soft groan erupted from his throat at the switch of positions, and she deepened their kiss.

"Scarlet," he mumbled over her lips. She buried her fingers into his hair. He let out another groan.

She separated from him, only to run her hands down his chest over his Lexton Prep polo. He watched, panting, as she loosened his tie. Her fingers fumbled, but she got that wretched thing out before tugging him back to her.

A low grumble escaped from his mouth. She kissed him harder.

Her pulse jumped, feeling him all over her. Having him be everything she saw, everything she touched, everything she smelled, everything she heard, everything she tasted, and everything she sensed softened the heaviness on her shoulders and in her mind until it became mush.

She wanted more.

She wanted more of him.

His hands grabbed onto her waist and pulled her back. She panted over him, eyes weary.

"Scarlet, we..." Jake stopped to cup one of her cheeks. "We should stop."

"Why?" Scarlet shifted again, snaking her hands around his neck. Jake closed his eyes as her touch traced his skin.

She leaned closer to his face before he stopped her again. "Scarlet," he said more forcefully. This time her hands froze over his chest.

Her entire body buzzed, wanting nothing more than to keep exploring.

"Scarlet, what's going on?" He asked. "You called me this morning like you were on the brink of insanity. And I don't blame you. I'm glad you called, but now it's like someone flipped a switch in a matter of seconds."

Scarlet pulled herself back from him. "Flipped a switch, how? I kissed you, you kissed me. Actions were reciprocated here."

He clenched his jaw. "You know that's not what I meant."

"Then what?" She snapped. "Make some sense, Jake." He raised an eyebrow as she rose on her knees, towering over him. The bed dipped under her weight and she tumbled forward, but he straightened her up before she embarrassed herself.

Their faces stood an inch away from each other. Jake held her gaze before she dropped hers. She wasn't thinking when she pressed her lips against his again. He didn't move against her for long seconds, and she was about to pull away when he responded. But it was over before she could fully comprehend it.

"Scarlet," he mumbled.

"Please kiss me," she whispered. His eyes widened as she reached under his shirt to trail her fingers down his skin. A sigh escaped his lips, so she dipped her face to his neck and peppered it with soft kisses all the way up his jawline.

"Wait." Jake pulled away from her, his face redder than before. "Scarlet, this isn't right."

"Why?" She didn't wait for another answer before going back to his neck. Jake let out a mix of a sigh and a groan before pulling her away, holding her at arm's length. "Don't you want to?"

He searched into her eyes, breath ragged and chest heaving. "It's not that I don't want to, it's just that this isn't right." Scarlet fell on the bed beside him, facing the high ceilings while smothering her frown. "Scarlet?"

Jake looked down at her, and she couldn't handle the way his eyes glimmered in the afternoon sunlight. A look of pity. The urge to sink into the nearest body of water was hard to pass. There was nothing she hated more than others pitying her, especially him.