Chapter 48

SCARLET GRABBED THE TASSEL from her right side of her cap and turned it to the left as her entire class erupted in cheers. She let the happiness that everyone exuded fall over her shoulders. A welcome feeling after the last few weeks of hell.

She had officially graduated from Winter Bay High.

Principal Padilla asked for the audience to clap for her class, and their field went into absolute madness as claps, whoops, and stomps resounded. He said one last congratulations, and they all filed out of the ceremony.

Scarlet watched as her classmates walked into the arms of their family, receiving an abundance of gifts. Many friend groups got together to take photos, all posing with their diplomas in broad daylight. She hung her head low as she walked out of the field in her black platform heels.

"Ms. Turner," she heard from behind. Scarlet turned to find her English teacher, Ms. Stanford, hurrying to catch her. "Oh, Scarlet, how proud I am."

She couldn't register her words as she engulfed her in a hug. Ms. Stanford pulled away to study her face, her hazel eyes no longer flashing nor portraying a judgemental glint.

"Thank you, Ms. Stanford," Scarlet replied.

"I know everyone says you're quite the experience to have in class, and I have to agree, but I don't mean that in a negative way. You're a fighter, Scarlet. I don't know where you'll go next, but promise me that you will never let that fire go out. Stay true to who you are."

Scarlet blinked back tears as her teacher embraced her again. She bid her a goodbye as she went off to speak with other students. The moment confused her to the point where she didn't even know what to do next.

"There she is!"

Scarlet turned around for what felt like the thousandth time to find Jake coming up to her with the biggest bouquet of roses she had ever seen.

"My girlfriend is now a graduate. Look at her. Cute and an academic."

She chuckled. "You are so cheesy."

He leaned forward to give her a quick kiss and handed her the bouquet. "I'm proud of you. We made it out of high school!"

She smiled down at the flowers, smelling their petals to distract the deep flush of her cheeks.

Jake had graduated the week prior. The one event that didn't fall on the same day from both high schools. He had been ecstatic about that since he could attend her ceremony, and she could attend his.

He wrapped an arm around her shoulders, walking her out of the field. "Now we can start the next phase of our lives."

Scarlet nodded. College started at the end of the summer, but in the time being she would be moving out of her house for good. It took her a lot to come to the decision, but after standing in the same spot where she found her mother and balled her eyes out, she knew she could never heal correctly in that house. She needed a new environment, and maybe with proper nourishment from her part, she could fully bloom into who she was meant to be.

So far, Sierra's dad was being a major help. After a trip he took to Lockfell, he noticed an apartment building renting out nice apartments for a fair price. It looked like they were desperate for people to rent. Scarlet was a little concerned about that, but Mr. Jenkins reassured her that in the last year there was a surge of people moving out of the town, so less money for landlords.

That's where Scarlet would come in.

Her house would remain hers. Although it was covered in the terrible travesty of her mother's unfortunate end, it was where she made most of her memories with her parents. She didn't think she could get rid of it so easily.

Instead, she would rent it. The money she made with it would help her pay her apartment rent. It was the best solution she could find.

"Scar!" Sierra yelled. She got barreled down by her friends, all exclaiming their congratulations from one another. Poor Jake had to stand to the side as the chaos unfolded.

"Can you believe we are out of this dump?" Aura squealed. "I can't wait for cosmetology school."

"I can't wait to move out to Lockfell," Gwenn said. "I think we're all going to end up there, aren't we?"

Zilla gasped. "We're all gonna be at Lockfell!"

Sierra jumped up and down, almost mirroring Aura. "Oh my gosh, we're going to transfer all our crazy to Lockfell. Goodbye Hales Bay, it's been pretty sucky knowing you."

Scarlet couldn't help but laugh.

"Oh, and we can't forget our latest addition to the group. The first actual boyfriend." Sierra gave Jake a personal round of applause as he blushed bright red at the attention. "Oh, wait, I think that would be the second boyfriend."

Everyone turned to Zilla, who gave a sheepish grin. "Raf is actually waiting for me in the car. I want you all to meet him. Will we be going out to celebrate?"

Scarlet knew they would eventually plan something for graduation day, but the day was there and nothing had come about. Sierra held up her diploma to grab everyone's attention.

"We should go eat in Lockfell," she suggested and gave Scarlet a wink. "I know a place."

Jake found her hand again, pressing the back of it to his lips as the plan was settled. She watched as her friends went on about what they would eat later, what they would do once they were all settled in Lockfell in the summer, and dreaming about the near future.

Scarlet looked down as her head swirled with so much information, so much she couldn't process it all. Jake squeezed her hand, and she looked up at him.

"One day at a time."

The pressure pushing against her chest dispersed. "No, I'm going to look ahead."

"