────── twelve

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

═══ WHEN THE TRUTH
HUNTS YOU DOWN ═══

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

SILKY SOFT SHEETS UNDER HER FINGERTIPS was the first thing Akiko became aware of as she regained consciousness. Next up was the pounding headache and the heaviness of her limbs. Still drowsy, Akiko opened her eyes to be met with the sight of a white ceiling.

"You're finally awake."

Turning her head to the side, Akiko saw her sister sitting in a chair next to the bed. She looked the same as always. Shiney black hair at chin length, hazel eyes with slightly dark circles underneath, pale skin, dressed in a business casual outfit consisting of black pants and a white blouse. For being 24 years old, Seina had reached the maturity level of a middle-aged business woman.

"Seina? What are you doing here? How long was I out? Where am I?"

A smile tugged at Seina's lips. A rare sight to Akiko. She stared at her sister as though she were an alien.

"I saved you and your friend from Kurayami. We're safe in my apartment for the time being. You've been out cold for five hours."

When Akiko made a move to sit up, Seina pushed her back into the mattress with a strict look.

"You have a concussion," she said. "You shouldn't get up just yet."

"Aren't you supposed to be in Yokohama to finish your last year of clinical education?" questioned Akiko.

"I was. And I did. But father believes I still have one year ahead of me. He has no idea that I've returned."

"But ... why?"

Seina lowered her gaze. Something seemed to bother her, something she had kept under lock and key for many years. But being in her little sister's presence after so long, witnessing the kind of pain Akiko had to go through, had given her the last push to finally take action.

"When Shinichiro called and said you had run away again, I had just finished with my medical studies. I came back as soon as I could. There are many things you don't understand or know of yet, Akiko."

"Hold on," Akiko interrupted her and sat up against Seina's orders. "You know Shinichiro?"

"He's your cousin. And he's been keeping an eye on you while I was gone."

Akiko groaned. "I don't understand. What's going on?"

Seina locked eyes with her sister. And without further hesitation, she dove into a lengthy explanation.

"As you already know, we don't share the same mother. Itachi and I also have different mothers. But when father treated you differently, I became curious and started looking for answers. It took me years to get a full picture of the situation but once I did, I saw right through father's plan. I was still in high school at that time and Shinichiro was one year above me, as the leader of the Black Dragons. He helped me when he found out that you were family."

"What plan?" Akiko felt herself growing restless. In the back of her mind, she had a suspicion that Mr. Hohsino had an ulterior motive. Yet the shock still came when Seina revealed the truth.