the things you do to me

dreamnap

nsfw

9k words, enjoy

sapnap puts his head in his hands when the discussion ends, leaving a chilling silence to take over. the others abandoned the call just minutes ago after the stream ended.

he's never one to feel relief when people start to drop out, but today it's different. he's been waiting at the edge of his seat for an hour, just hoping for an interruption and for the stream to be cut short.

it never happened, and he didn't dare to opt out in the middle of it all, but now he's finally left alone with the person he so desperately needed to talk to. dream.

he had noticed something was wrong early on, maybe even before the stream started. dream typically isn't talkative in group calls, but he was being more quiet than ever.

sapnap could hear his fidget toy making noise several times, even during the games, and it only concerned him more. dream never uses it in bigger streams like these.

as a childhood friend - or best friend, even - it's sapnaps duty to console him when something's up. at least he believes so himself, although dream would probably laugh if he called it a "duty" out loud.

"don't go around worrying about me, i'll handle it," or something along those lines. but sapnap wants to worry about him. he loves him, and he just wants his best friend to be happy.

dream is an emotional person, but he tends to keep those emotions bottled up until it becomes too much. sapnap has seen it firsthand throughout the years, and he's not about to let it happen again.

he can't take that late night phone call one more time. he can't stand hearing dream cry on the other end of the line, knowing he's many miles away in a different state, and that the only thing that's keeping them connected in the moment is a stupid call.

"are you alright?"

it's a short and simple question.

"what do you mean?"

one that's not typically answered with another question.

"well, like, is something up?" sapnap tries, "i just... thought you seemed down."

he hears dream chuckle, his fidget toy falling off his desk.

"how do you always know?"
"dude, we've known each other for like nine years, it's not that hard to tell. you get all quiet, fidgety. it's the same every time."

dream sighs. sapnap can picture him sitting in front of his computer, looking down at his lap like a kid who's misbehaved.

"it's.. kinda dumb. i don't know," he mumbles after a while.
"it's not dumb. if it's making you sad it's not dumb. you can tell me."

silence again. sapnap lets him take his time. as much as he wants to find out what's bugging his best friend, he also doesn't wanna force him to reveal anything.

he plays with his hair, responds to a dm on discord. his room is dead silent apart from the clacking of his keyboard when he types. occasional creaks come from dream's chair when he spins on it.

"sam texted me last night."

sapnap freezes.

"again?"
"well it's.. been a while now," he scoffs, "i've just been thinking about it all day."
"what did she want?"
"i don't know. i don't know what she's holding on to."

dream takes a deep breath. his voice is shaky as he proceeds.

"things are just- things are weird. i feel weird. as if something is really wrong, you know? like that."