you are a star in my sky

dreamnotfound

the moon shines in through the window, and an unnamed coding project is still open on george's computer. it's been abandoned on his desk for an hour, ever since they got too tired to continue working. he glances at it for a second, then shifts his focus back to dream again.

dream and his silky soft hair. his decision to grow it out a little more was the best one ever, at least in george's eyes. he's been obsessed with it for months, jumping at every single chance to bury his face in it, comb it through with his fingers. dream used to laugh at him for being so silly, but now he stays still every time george's hands itch for that wonderful texture. he loves it anyway.

"you staying here tonight?"

"think so."

george's place is like dream's second home. it's always been that way, ever since they were just little kids. he would come over after school all the time just to hang out with his best friend, to do all the dumb shit that kids do. climb trees, build snowmen in the winter, draw on the garden fence.

if they weren't doing things outside, dream would usually be playing video games on his old, crappy xbox. he was really good at it, even if george didn't understand his fascination with skyrim and all those other games at the time. whenever his parents bought him a new one, he'd drag george home just to show it to him. he was jumping up and down with excitement trying to teach george even the basic controls, never losing his spark or his patience.

maybe that's the reason why they're here now. coding plug-ins together in george's room, for hours and hours on end. dream awakened his interest for games and coding, lit a flame that could never be extinguished. simple scratch projects turned into unity demos, and mods in javascript. and on top of that, a deep childhood friendship flourished into something even more beautiful.

they were already almost inseparable in elementary school, but as time went on they truly became glued to each other. you'd rarely spot dream walking down the hallways without his scrawny best friend by his side. the best friend that was picked on for exactly that reason, and for his wonky haircut, and whatever other features the bullies would deem undesirable. but no one would mess with george when dream was near. he was taller than everyone else, and usually a cold stare would be enough to make them shut their mouths.

in reality, dream could never beat anyone up. he wasn't the violent type, nor was he strong enough to do any actual harm. but that was a secret best kept between him and george.

their rough high school years only strengthened their connection. dream swears that he can feel it deep within him sometimes, that he can feel george's presence in his soul, like some silly pseudo spiritual bullshit. he never believed in that stuff before, but the more he's matured, and the closer he's become with george, the more his mind has been opened to such things. what other explanation could their bond have? it's special on another level.

he couldn't spend long nights just laying in bed, smoking joints and listening to music in silence with anyone else. couldn't tolerate anyone else's input when he's working on his projects. he's never felt so utterly content, so safe with anyone else, ever. george means the world to him. and together they're stronger than the universe itself.

it's impossible to describe their relationship. it's just the two of them, and it always has been, since the day they first met. it doesn't have to be more complex than that. dream is happy when he gets to be close to george, and george is even more touchy-feely than himself. sometimes it's hard to let go, and sometimes it feels like they're in a warm bubble of safety when they're hugging, cuddling, touching each other in any way. they don't have to talk, just exist.

it's never been weird. it's never been anything they've questioned. all they know is that it feels good, feels right, and that's okay. the head massages, the spooning, the affectionate words and forehead kisses. it doesn't matter what they are, if they're friends or best friends or something more. george understands dream, and dream understands george. in some unexplainable way they're intertwined, fused by their conscience. meant to be. no matter how cheesy it sounds.

dream feels so small in george's lap, despite his actual height. it's always like that. he gets all curled up and comfortable, and all of a sudden he's shrunk to the size of a little kitten. george laughs at his own comparison. dream really is like a small baby cat; kind, gentle, couldn't hurt a fly. only wants to do good and make other people smile.

he's sitting between george's legs, leaning back against his body, letting himself be held close like a teddy bear. george nuzzles the top of his head, sighs contently. he's tired, but he doesn't want to sleep yet. dream tilts his head back a little more, enough so that george's lips can rest on his forehead. he gets one kiss. two kisses. he grins like an idiot.

"you're goofy," george mumbles against his skin.

"you're goofy," he pokes back.

it's so carefree. no judgement. george hits his vape and gently blows the smoke in dream's face, so excited to see him laugh. there's nothing better than that sweet laugh. ever since he was young his goal was always to make dream laugh as much as possible, as if it served as some sort of validation for him. the easiest way to do it is to tickle him, cause there's no one who's more ticklish than dream. the poor thing has been caught off-guard and attacked by george so many times that it's impossible to count.

george must admit that he's a little ticklish too. or more than just a little bit. once dream gets the upper hand in their tickle fights, he's doomed. it's the small things like that that remind them both of how childish they still are, wrestling on the floor and bruising their knees, never losing that youthful, innocent spark. george wants to be a kid forever, and dream makes him feel like just that.

"did you know that i love you?" dream wonders, interrupting his thoughts.

"mm.. you've told me many times..."

dream wrinkles his nose. that clearly wasn't the response he was looking for.

"say it back then, asshole."

george snorts, "don't call me that."

"say it back!"

dream sits up, pouting. george just yawns, pretending to be nonchalant. in reality, his heart is bursting from dream's insisting tone. he reaches out, wrapping his arms around his best friend - his soulmate - and pulling him close again. he lets himself fall back onto the bed, bringing dream with him. that familiar, fuzzy joy, the peace, the safety..

"i love you," he mutters, trying and failing to hold back a chuckle, "love you so much. you already know.."

he gets an extra squeeze for that.

it's just the two of them, in their own bubble, their own little world where nothing can get to them. george knows that no matter what happens in their lives, they'll always have each other. no matter where they go, what they become. dream will always be there in his heart, keeping him strong.

"..asshole."