Duel (fluff)

I had no title motivation, okay? XD

Warnings are swords and combat, although there's no blood or injury.

Enjoy!

Clash!

Xay suppressed a wince at the horrid sound. The sound of two metal swords slamming together was never really his favorite, but it was all a part of fighting.

Xay swung his sword at Hels, determination and adrenaline fueling him to move faster than usual. Hels barely dodged the blade, practically jumping back, his feet skidding on the netherrack. His orange-red eyes sparkled, temporarily distracting Xay before he snapped back into focus.

Hels charged at him, and their swords met once again, the movements of deflecting and attacking swift.

Xay tried to concentrate on the combat and not on Hels himself, like his flaming eyes, or the small smile on his face, or the little tuft of golden-blonde hair that escaped the confines of his helmet, or-

Xay was jerked out of his lovestruck thoughts by the feeling of his sword being flung out of his hand.

In a flash, Hels had his swordtip under Xay's chin, the blade pricking the skin ever-so-slightly. Xay met Hels's eyes, knowing that he probably looked like a terrified animal. Hels grinned, and reality came rushing past the previous adrenaline.

"You don't have to look so malicious," Xay grumbled. Hels laughed, lowering his blade.

"Aw, but where's the fun in this if I don't get to see your hilariously terrified face?" he teased.

"What are you, a sadist?!" Xay yelped, feeling his cheeks go warm.

"Maybe~"

Xay rolled his eyes, going to retrieve the sword that Hels had knocked out of his hand.

"Let's go again," he suggested, earning a nod from Hels.

And they were at it again, swords slamming together and swiping at each other.

Neither noticed that Hels was slowly driving Xay further and further back.

Closer and closer to the cliff edge.

It wasn't until Xay finally risked a glance back when he realized, oh crap, that's a bit close-

But before he could try and divert the duel away from the drop, Hels had already caused him to stumble just a bit too far.

It was like slow-motion.

Xay felt himself fall backwards.

But before he could fall any further, he heard a clatter and felt strong arms pull him back up.

Hels, one arm looped around his waist, and the other hand clasped around his own, pressing their bodies together and bringing their faces very close together, only inches apart.

Xay swallowed, heat rushing to his face. He felt like he was trapped, trapped in a spell cast on him that forced him to not break eye-contact with Hels. The two stared into each other's eyes, both flustered, and both under the same spell, unable to move.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, Hels let go, breaking the frozen magic that was shared between them.

"Sorry about that," Hels apologized, clearing his throat and moving away. "Let's move to where, erm, you won't nearly fall off a cliff."

Xay nodded numbly, still trying to process what had just happened.

"Uhm," Hels mumbled once they had moved further away from the edge. The awkwardness hadn't died down, to Xay's disappointment. "Let's just... go again, I guess?"

"Y-yeah," Xay replied.

Words, evidently, were not his friend today.

Hels sighed, and Xay tried not to stare at him. The previous event only put his, as Xisuma called it, "simp-mode", into full-gear. The way Hels moved, his whole-

"Earth to Xay?" Hels snapped him out of his thoughts. "Is something... I don't know, wrong? You've been completely frozen there for like three minutes." Xay's cheeks flushed, and he forced his gaze away, shaking his head 'no'.

"Is it what happened earlier?" Hels guessed, hitting a little too close to home. "Because I'm sorry if it was awkward. We're still just friends-"

"Exactly," Xay spat.

Hels blinked in shock, but Xay didn't care about what had just come out of his mouth.

"'Just friends'," he repeated, sighing. "That right there is the problem."

It was then that Xay's brain finally clicked, and he stepped back, ready to apologize.

Hels crossed over to him in swift movements, and before Xay could process what was happening, Hels had one arm holding Xay close and the other hand cupping Xay's cheek.

"What if we were... more than just friends?" Hels's voice was soft, and Xay wanted to just melt into a puddle right then and there.

"I- I'd like that," Xay admitted, smiling. "A lot. I'd like that a lot."

Stupid- stop repeating yourself!

Hels didn't seem to mind or notice his stupidity, his thumb tracing small circles on Xay's face. Xay inched a bit closer, unable to contain himself, then pressed his lips against Hels's.

It felt like the world had just stopped for a moment, everything freezing to allow this perfect moment to happen without any disturbances.

When they broke apart, Xay felt that spellbound feeling again, staring into Hels's eyes and not wanting to let go, not wanting to pull away, not wanting to ruin this.

Hels might've won a few duels today, but another thing he's won is my heart.

And I think I've won his.

THE FLUFF FUELS MY SOUL

-Storm