Things Get Better When You Fall: Rewrite (hurt/comfort, but with lots of angst)

If you take one crappy oneshot and combine it with another crappy oneshot, what do you get? A good oneshot, or an extra crappy oneshot.

Well, we're about to find out.

Things Get Better When You Fall (original) was a house with no framework.

Forever Is A Lie was a bunch of framework with no house.

I combined them- do we get a house, or a big mess?

Let's see.

MAJOR TW!! Suicidal thoughts, suicide attempt, temporary eating problem, character death, THIS IS A SUICIDE-BASED FIC, DO NOT PROCEED IF YOU FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THAT.

WC: ~1600

Enjoy!

To be blunt, Xay hadn't been doing the best.

Sometimes, life doesn't go your way, that's just a fact. Everyone gets used to it, everyone gets over it.

But sometimes, life doesn't go your way, many times over, and all in the worst way possible.

Things weren't going Xay's way, but a certain message in chat was the end of anything good going for him.

<Xisumavoid was slain by Skeleton>

Xay froze as he read it, reality not clicking in his mind.

Only the messages that followed brought the hard truth forth.

<MumboJumbo> WHAT???

<Grian> how- how did a skeleton get to him??

<TangoTek> NO- WHAT???

<ImpulseSV> I... I can't believe it...

<Keralis1> I saw it... I saw it happen- I couldn't save him... I'm so sorry...

<Ethoslab> it's not about what did the most damage... it's about what dealt the final blow.

Xay closed the communicator, tears burning in his eyes.

Xisuma, his brother, his light in the dark of the Void, was gone.

Xay didn't know what to do.

So he did the only thing he could do.

Xay locked himself away and cried.

He didn't want to eat. He didn't want to drink water. He didn't want to do anything, because how could he?

How could he when Xisuma was dead?

There was a knock at his door.

"Xay, I know you're in here," it was Hels. That was surprising, Hels and him weren't that close. "I left food and water out here so that you could get it yourself, but you never did, so I figured I might as well just give it to you."

Xay didn't respond. He didn't want Hels's pity, he didn't want whatever Hels had to give him.

"Xay, if you're listening and ignoring me, so help me I will kick this door down-" Hels took a deep breath and tried again. "Look. I- I know it's really hard, and I'm sorry, but you've still got to eat and drink like a functioning human being."

Xay stayed silent.

Eventually there was a sigh, and the sound of Hels leaving.

Xisuma used to do something similar, a voice in Xay's head reminded him. Force you to drink and eat.