Dance (fluff, AU)

I don't have a horrible upload schedule, you do.

I started this today and finished it today so if it seems hasty, that's why.

No warnings, this is fluff

IRL/highschool (?) au, mostly just the first one, though

W: ~1000 (okay more like 980 but I want this to seem longer than it actually is KJDHSD)

Enjoy!

"Come on," Xisuma urged him. "It'll be fun! I swear you'll enjoy yourself." Xay groaned.

"No," he replied, ever stubborn. "I don't have a date, I probably won't know anyone, and there's no point."

"You will know people!" Xisuma protested. "Wels and Hels are going, Gri-"

"Hels is going?" Xay interrupted him. "Never thought I'd see the day where that idiot dances."

"He's your best friend!" Xisuma chirped. "You two can spend some time together!"

"Why are you even going?" Xay shot back. "You don't want any sort of date, last I checked."

"Very true," he agreed. "But Impulse offered that we go as friends!"

"Great," Xay sighed. "Even my brother has managed to figure something out, and he's aromantic."

"Just come with me?" Xisuma pushed his point. "Please?"

Xay's eyes flickered to meet Xisuma's indigo ones, and he let out a small sigh.

"Fine."

"Look," Xisuma whispered to Xay, nudging him and pointing. "See, there's Hels!"

Xay glanced over through the daunting crowd of way too many people under the flashing, colorful lights, and was easily able to pick out Hels.

After all, no one else managed to look that stunning.

Crap, Xay's brain muttered. Not now. Hels is just your stupid, sort of arrogant, not attractive friend.

"Go and talk to him!" and there was Xisuma, forever oblivious to his brother's conundrum. "I don't think he came here with anyone, either."

"Over my dead body," Xay hissed back. "I'm going to go get some water."

Walking over to the drinks, he poured himself a cup of water and held it in his hand, watching the people around him.

"Came here alone?"

Xay's head whipped around towards the voice, internally sighing upon seeing Hels. He'd taken up a sort of casual stance, a ghost of a smirk on his face.

"Shut up," Xay grumbled, breaking eye contact with him and opting to take a sip out of his cup. Hels chuckled, low and deep.

"Don't worry," and he took a step forward, surprising Xay into straightening up a little. "I'm here alone too."

"I'm surprised," Xay said, using a dry tone to mask any other, far more raw emotions. "I'd think a generally attractive person like you would be able to get someone. Pretty girl, handsome guy, unfairly hot enby? I'm shocked that someone like you didn't manage to strike all three."

"Going sappy on me, Void?" Hels snickered.

"Not in the slightest," Xay sneered.

"And besides," another step forward. Xay didn't move. "I knew I could just get someone over here."

"Oh?" Xay kept his voice neutral.

"Yeah," Hels held out his hand, open and inviting. Xay's breath caught in his throat, and perhaps for a second, his heart may've stopped beating in his chest.

Distantly, the song that had been playing came to a stop, and a new one was selected.

"So, Xanthus," Hels continued. "May I have this dance?"

And by the Void, Xay froze.

He entirely froze up, not only his face, but what felt like his entire body was on fire. Swallowing back the sudden wave of nerves, he placed his hand in Hels's and nodded.

Hels grinned, swept him close, and they started to dance.

Turns out, Hels was surprisingly good at it. The pair opted to stay tucked away in the back as opposed to directly in the center, like anyone else. A couple of seconds in and all of Xay's nerves had turned away, leaving him be with his crush and some electric music.

Suddenly, the floor flew out from underneath Xay as Hels dipped him to the music. Xay gasped, pressing his lips together right as the noise slipped out. Hels's eyes glinted under the light as he leaned in. Hels nipped the skin of Xay's jawline before pulling back up.

They continued in silence, before Xay decided to speak up.

"Hels, I lov-"

"Save the sappy things for later," Hels whispered, interrupting him. "Just know for now that it's all requited." Xay felt a crap-eating smile come onto his face.

"Okay,"

They continued until the song slowed to a stop, and they slowed and stopped right along with it, leaving Xay breathless and panting softly for breath.

Before he knew what was happening, hands were on his upper arms and he was pressed against the wall, locked in a kiss. Xay gasped again, his eyes drifting shut as he relaxed into the fire that was brought with the embrace.

They broke away after a moment, each taking a moment to regain their breath.

"Dang," Xay chuckled. Hels smiled, red eyes reflecting the lights and sending butterflies into his stomach.

"Shall we do this again, sometime?" he asked. Xay grinned.

"Of course," he replied. "Now come on, I want to dance with you again."

"It's a lot of mixed feelings, isn't it?" Impulse came up behind Xisuma after seeing him watch Xay and Hels kissing each other for the first time. Xisuma had watched for half a second before wincing and turning away.

"Yeah," Xisuma chuckled, turning to face Impulse.

"Like, you're happy for them, of course," Impulse said. "But holy heck, that's gross." Xisuma giggled.

"And that's my brother," he added. "Kissing my best friend's brother. For whatever reason, I didn't really see this one coming."

"Congratulations!" Impulse laughed. "That makes you the only one. Other than those two, of course."

"Do you think that'll work out for Xay?" Xisuma couldn't help but ask. "I trust him to handle himself, but I want a second opinion."

"I think Hels is exactly what Xay needs," Impulse assured him. "It should do a lot of good for him, even if it doesn't look like it for us."

"Yeah," Xisuma agreed. "You're right."

"I always am!" Impulse joked. His gaze flickered away for a moment before meeting Xisuma's again.

"Come on," he said. "Tango and Zed are beckoning us over." Xisuma smiled.

"Okay!"

this has been echoing in my brain for around three days, kinda good to just dump it out onto this laptop akjdhk

-Storm