Consulting the Journals

The group was rather quiet as they finished their tea and for good reason. They were all nervous about what they were about to do because they knew that once they started they couldn't go back. But what else could they do? They couldn't let Mabel get to Merlin. That would be a whole new level of disaster. One that they didn't want to witness.

Once they finished the tea they all said their goodbyes and set off to bed. All except Pacifica, whose room the gang had tea in. Dipper almost stayed, wanting to get a word in with her before he left, but Kathy stopped him. She knew what he was thinking the moment he turned back to look at Pacifica. And, wanting to spare him the embarrassment, she grabbed his arm effectively getting his attention, and shook her head.

Dipper got the message but he still left rather reluctantly.

While he made his way back to the tent of Telepathy, Gideon and Kathy made their way back to their hotel room which happened to be close to each other. So they walked with each other and happily took the opportunity to talk in private.

"Do you think that Dipper can be trusted?" Gideon asked immediately.

Kathy sighed. She had expected the question to come up but she didn't quite know the answer. She decided to tell him where her mind was at.

"I don't know." She told him. "I want to trust him. I do. But Dipper's past isn't as white as it is black."

Gideon nodded. "So you're saying you don't trust him."

"No, I didn't say that." She said, "I'm just saying that we should be careful around him. Don't trust him just yet but give him opportunities to earn our trust. And so far he's doing a really good job at it."

"You mean when he told us not to tell him about our lead?" Gideon asked.

"Yes." She nodded. "If he was teaming up with Mabel I don't think that he would have told us to keep it a secret. Besides if he were working with Mabel that's a pretty lousy way of doing things."

Gideon gave her a confused look. "What do you mean?"

Kathy laughed. "C'mon Gideon, you know as well as I do that Mabel isn't exactly the most patient person. After all, she did kidnap me and force Dipper to impersonate me when she wasn't getting any closer to the journals. Now I imagine her patience is wearing thin at this point. She'd want Dipper to get whatever information we have as soon as possible. And if he didn't," she shuddered. "Well, I don't want to think about that."

As much as Gideon didn't want to admit it, he knew she was right. Dipper encouraging them not to tell him their lead made Gideon trust him a little. Yet there was still a little part of him that was hesitant, that was yelling at him that Dipper Gleeful could not be trusted.

He knew that things had changed and his enemy would have to be his ally, maybe even friend. But he couldn't just forget how Dipper used to torment him. It might have been for one year but it was still full of terrible memories that still haunted his dreams.

Sensing the inner turmoil that Gideon was going through, Kathy grabbed his hand reminding him that she was there for him.

When Gideon felt her hand grasp his hands, he jumped a little. Then he turned to look at her and gave her a thankful smile. She returned it gladly.

"Thanks for being here." He told her. "And I'm sorry for the argument from before. I'm just worried. This isn't just running and hiding anymore. The world is at stake. I'm scared that when the time comes to save the world I'll have to choose between the world or you guys."

Kathy smiled reassuringly. "I understand. This is an important decision. One that's going to require a lot of sacrifices and hard work. But I know we can do this. Things might get a little tough but as long as you and Pacifica are by my side I know I can get through it. And just like how you're here for me, I'm here for you. So remember if you need to talk or anything I'm here for you."