The Ship Sails

Kathy knew those words were bound to come out of Mabel's mouth. What else was she going to say? That she wanted to make out with her since the moment they met? That she wanted to force her to give her the Journals of Merlin? Neither of these options made sense and the first one was just sort of random. Why would Mabel want to make out with her?

Needless to say, Kathy was unaffected by Mabel's words. Everyone else, however, was not. Pacifica gasped and covered her mouth, Dipper became pale as the dead, and Gideon looked ready to vomit.

So Kathy stood up tall and made sure that Mabel's attention never left her. "How original. The long-time foe comes back to fight against their rival and end the battle between the two for good. Tell me, will you miss me when I'm gone?"

It wasn't just Mabel who was surprised by Kathy's question. Everyone in the room looked at her with surprise. They almost didn't believe that she asked that.

"Am I going to miss you?" Mabel asked, incredulously. "Of course not! Why would I miss someone who was such a thorn in my side for all these years?"

Kathy shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe it's because I've been a thorn at your side for all these years. You're used to my presence. And once you kill me, that's it. I'm gone. I'm dead and I'm not going to become a ghost even though I have the option. I won't be there anymore and you'll realize just how much you care about me."

Mabel scoffed and rolled her eyes. "That's ridiculous. I'm not going to miss you."

"You say that now, but what if, when you finally do it, you'll regret it immediately and try to bring me back? Which you won't be able to, because no magic can bring someone back to life. Then you'd slip into a depression and live out the rest of your life in misery." Kathy said.

Mabel glared at her. "Stop it! I won't regret killing you. I'll be fine and I'll live without you. I've done it before and I can do it again."

"Okay," Kathy said. "But can I choose how to die? I feel like you owe me that."

"No!" Mabel cried. "I'm not going to let you choose how you die! That's not how this works! Besides, I don't owe you anything!"

Kathy raised an eyebrow. "No, I think you do. You and your brother tortured me for years, forced me to run away from home, and leave behind everything I've ever known and loved. If anything you owe me big time! So let me choose how I'll get to die and we'll call it square. Deal?"

Mabel shook her head furiously. "No! What is wrong with you?!"

"I'm just trying to die with a little dignity," Kathy told her. "Is that so wrong? Also, I know this goes without saying but I need you to bring my body back to my parents. Just because you're my murderer doesn't mean that you shouldn't be considerate. And I want to be buried in my black mini dress with the glitter belt. Also, try not to mess up my face too much. I want to look cute at my funeral."

"Will you shut up!" Mabel yelled. "Dear god I have never met someone who talked so much before they were killed!"

"Does that mean you killed a lot of people or that you've watched a lot of people die?" Kathy asked.

Mabel gave her an incredulous look. "Why do you want to know that?"

"Oh, I don't," Kathy replied. "I'm just trying to buy some time."

"Buy some time? Buy some time for what?" Mabel asked.

Kathy stole a look behind Mabel and grinned. "It's more of a who and what I'm buying time for."

Mabel didn't get it at first. Then she slowly put all the pieces together. The long conversation kept Mabel from killing them. The look Kathy shot behind her. The strange feeling she got as if something were standing right behind her.