Welcome Party

Peeking her head around the door, she saw Kara sprawled across her bed, the blanket weaved over her body from tossing and turning in her sleep. Lena couldn't help but relax the tension in her muscles and smile tenderly. She tiptoed to sit in the chair beside the bed. Kara was faced away from her but just watching the rise and fall of the covers was enough for Lena. Just knowing that Kara was alive and home was enough. The thought of never seeing Kara again after their relationship was left on such fragile terms broke Lena. She wanted to bring Kara back even if it was just for her to yell at her, to scream that she never wanted to see her again and to completely cut her out her life. Lena had always hated uncertainty, she liked things that were tangible, facts she could rely on. So when Kara was taken away, right when their relationship hung in the balance, it tortured her. She'd lay awake at night spiralling, constantly asking herself an endless thread of what-ifs. The sleepless nights finally caught up to her now as her lips began to tremble and she quietly cried for the first time since Kara's return. It didn't help that when Kara turned in her sleep, she saw the sweet face that had suffered so much hurt in her lifetime. Lena despised the fact that she was a part of that long list. She wanted so badly to curl up beside her, holding her in a tight embrace in some feeble attempt at making her feel safe and protected.

This desire intensified as she watched Kara shaking her head with furrowed brows, some hair stuck on her face with sweat. Lena sniffled, unsure what to do and snapping out of her emotions. She didn't even have time to wipe her tears away before Kara suddenly bolted upright with a sharp intake of breath. She rushed to the bed and sat by her side as she worriedly scanned Kara's face searching for answers. She caught a glimpse of that lost little girl that arrived on Earth. Lena's instinct was to wrap her arms around her but Kara scurried away from Lena's touch like a petrified, helpless child. The hurt displayed on Lena's face as she retracted seemed to have brought Kara out of her terrified trance as she raised her eyebrows in disbelief. "Lena?" She breathed, barely audibly, before she lunged across the bed to hug her.

"Yeah, it's me." She whispered into the blonde's hair as she stroked it. "It's okay. You're okay, you're safe, you're home." Lena held back from kissing the top of her head, burying her spontaneous desire, she didn't want to cross any boundaries or make Kara uncomfortable. So they stayed there for a while, in their most intimate embrace they've shared yet. Neither one of them willing to let go of the blissful comfort brought by the other's touch.

Eventually, albeit reluctantly, Kara pulled back. It was then that she recognised her friend's tear-stained face. "Hey," she cooed and cupped her cheek. Lena hadn't realised that she'd leaned into her palm until Kara softly spoke. "Have you been crying?"

She cleared her throat and shook her head, "no, it's okay." Lena continued, knowing Kara was not convinced by her weak attempt at hiding. "I'm just... it's really good to see you." She admitted like it was a secret, which made Kara smile wide as she brought their foreheads together.

They had both instinctively closed their eyes and Lena's heart fluttered at the novel form of intimacy. "It's really good to see you too." She whispered. After pulling away, an awkward atmosphere seemed to linger, which was apparently only sensed by Lena as Kara soon continued to speak. "I kept thinking about you," she started then shook her head as she hurriedly uttered, "in the Phantom Zone." She explained. "I was so worried you'd blame yourself for all this and I wouldn't be there to tell you otherwise. To stop you from punishing yourself and assure you that I never once resented you while I was trapped there." Luthor had kept her head down, avoiding eye contact until there was a shift in Kara's tone. "Lena, I need you to know, without a doubt, that we're good. I still trust you and I would still do anything I could to save you. I still...care so much about you and I want you in my life."

A slight chuckle accidentally escaped Lena that became delirious with relief as she realised they were both anxious about the same thing. When she caught Kara looking upset at her reaction, Lena tried to explain, "I'm sorry, it's just-" she fully composed herself. "One of the reasons I was so desperate to bring you back was because I couldn't live with not knowing where we stood with each other."