Gold in Avonlea

(mostly edited)

Her knees reddened and pressed against the wood of the attic floor, Alice stared out of the large round window. Her fingers gripped over the edge as she watched her brothers run through the yard. The annoyance that is Billy Andrews running behind them. His legs barely hit the ground as he sped off behind them. She could hear their screams, along with laughter, from below. Her nose scrunched as she fell into her thoughts. She enjoyed the fact that her brothers had started making friends and inviting them to the home but why of all people did it have to be Billy Andrews?

She would have settled for any of the boys in their class whose names she barely knew and seldom remembered. She was down to four more shelves on the walls each one seeming farther away than the last. The world began to become a bore everywhere around her.  Nothing new had come to Avonlea, the gossip was still the same. Emma still got dirty looks over her "pregnancy scandal." Alice would worry about that but Lilian had already devised a plan. Within a few weeks, Emma was to say that the child had passed. She was to say that the family was in a deep depression and prayed for happier days.

Standing slowly Alice made her way toward the exit door. Stepping over beams and swatting away at the endless cobwebs. Pulling open the door she could hear the pattern of footsteps. Eveline had begun to run through the house. Not caring about the padding of the sand any longer.  Inching slowly down the steps  Alice made it a point to move slowly so that she didn't draw too much attention. Reaching the bottom step the pater of feet was far beyond in the distance.

Opening the door slowly she was met with Theo's booming voice,  "Don't be a bloody imbecile Emma!" 

Closing the door behind her she crept towards the sound. Emma's voice grew harsh, " I'm no Imbecile, rather I just believe." The two began to argue back and forth. With each lunge at the other, their tones get louder. The final breaking step came from Theo, "The theory that gold in Avonlea is about the stupidest thing you have believed in yet Emma. The world isn't as prim as you think. There is only so much I can stop from reaching into these walls, I have coddled you and your ideals but this is too far!" Silence filled the home. By then everyone in the estate had heard. Gold had reached Avonlea, and Theo rammed a train into his and Emma's relationship. Emma's only hope is to be able to believe in a better world, a world she knows she will never live to see. 

~Filler chapter~