Chapter eleven

I wake up in the morning to the sun streaming through the window.

And then the memories come flooding back.

The party. The amount of alcohol I drunk - Jesus I drank enough to make 5 grown men blackout.

And Roman - is this just my fuzzy memory, or was he... nice? I remember him picking me up and taking me home. And my nightlight is plugged in. What the hell?

Have we landed in some alternate universe?

I decide to test the waters. Is this niceness a permanent thing or a one time only kinda thing?

Maybe we could even be friends?

No, probably not.

I pad downstairs after taking off my dress and replacing it with sweats.

Roman is eating, as per usual.

I grab some ingredients from the fridge and decide to make pancakes for me and Alyssa, the way my dad used to when she slept over at my house.

I pour the flour, eggs and milk into a bowl and start stirring.

Ro Ro and I have been sat in comfortable silence the whole time. I like that with him, silence is never awkward. You don't have to try and make conversation, and he doesn't want you to either.

"What are you making?" he asks.

"Pancakes." I reply simply

He looks at me.

"You're already eating."

He carries on looking at me.

"Fine, you can have some."

As I create the mixture I say, "Thanks for taking care of me last night Ro Ro."

He grunts.

He's not really giving me much to work with here.

"Have you dropped maths class?"

He grunts again.

"Why?" I push.

He looks up at him like I'm stupid. "You. Obviously."

Rude.

I decide to make friendly conversation. To see if we really can be friends.

I suddenly announce, "I'm a Capricorn."

"I thought that was a drink."

"That's caprisun."

"What are you?"

"Uhh, a fanta, I don't know."

"No. Your star sign."

"No clue."

I whip out my phone.

"What are you doing?" He asks.

"What time were you born?"

"How the fuck am I supposed to-"

"Message your mom," I say.

"Seriously?" He asks.

"Seriously. I need to know if we're compatible. As friends."

"Of course we're compatible." He says simply.

I shrug, "I don't know."

"Of course we are." He insists.

"Well, find out what time you were born, and then we can find out for sure."

He messages his mom and finds out he was born at 11.02pm.

"You're a taurus and your rising sign is a-"

I stop myself abruptly when I realise, we are actually having a nice, normal conversation.

"What?" He asks leaning forward, "What's my rising sign?"

"Ro Ro listen," I take a deep breath , "I think that we could be... friends."

"Friends?" He asks.

"Friends," I confirm.

"We're living together, whether we like it or not. Let's just make it easy for ourselves."

"I don't really have any friends."

"What about the like 10 guys you hang out with."

"They aren't really my friends-"

"Ok, well I can be your first friend. Your best friend."

"But also my worst friend. Because you're the only one."

"I'm your worst friend?" I ask, mock offended.

"I'm sorry but none of my other friends said I needed therapy and called me a psycho."

I smile. "You wanna start that? You think you can win on who's been the worst person? Bitch, firstly, you-"

"Ok, ok, you win." he laughs. "As a friend, will you come to my game tomorrow?"

"Your game?" I ask, confused.

He laughs, "Football."

"Interesting. A football game. I've never been to one before."

"I know. That's what makes you different from the rest of the thousands of people at this college."

"That's what makes me different?" I ask, offended. "That I haven't been to a football game? Not my stunning good lucks or my incredible personality?" I say, jokingly.

He splutters on his drink. "Stunning good looks, where?" he pretends to search my face.

"Stop," I laugh, pushing his shoulder.

"Will you come to the game then?" He asks, hopefully, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

I nod, still smiling.

"Sure, I'll come to your game," I say, sliding a few pancakes onto a plate and passing them to him.

Maybe we can be friends after all.