────── fourteen

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

═══ CONFESSIONS ═══

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

ON THE DAY WHEN IT WAS Chifuyu and Baji's turn to watch over Akiko, the mystery of where Kazutora had disappeared to was solved. Days had passed, leaving everyone worried, suspecting the worst. It weighed down especially hard on Akiko and Baji. Baji felt at fault because he hadn't properly watched out for his friend, whereas Akiko was very much against the idea of anyone sacrificing themselves or being harmed for her sake.

"He called late last night," said Baji. He stood in front of the window, the expression on his face matching the gloomy weather. "He struck a deal with Hanma."

Akiko gawked at him. "He what?!"

"What deal?" Chifuyu demanded to know.

"Apparently, Hanma is in contact with Pandemonium. He reports back to them and takes their orders. Being under Pandemonium's protection and the nice sum of money they offer, seems to lure in a lot of the smaller gangs, too. Hanma offered Kazutora to work as a spy for Pandemonium."

"And he accepted?" Akiko asked, eyes wide in disbelieve. "Why?"

For the first time since Akiko had stepped foot into the Bajis' home, the ravenette turned around to face her. His face spoke of nothing but utter trust and faith in Kazutora.

"You don't know Kazutora like I do. You don't know what he went through. Of course you wouldn't understand his reasons."

More level-headed than his captain, Chifuyu took to explaining the situation. Just like Baji trusted Kazutora, his trust in Baji was unwavering.

"Kazutora had a difficult childhood. It was Baji who helped him deal with the trauma. I guess you being here has opened up old wounds and now, Kazutora is hell bent on stopping Hoshino on his own. He couldn't do much as a kid, but now he wants to take his chance."

"Kazutora isn't stupid," added Baji. "He knows what he's doing. He's already working out a plan."

Reluctant to admit it out loud, Akiko began to see where the boys were coming from. Not only could Kazutora gather intel by being in touch with Moebius and Pandemonium, he would also be able to stop important information from being leaked and assure that no other mole had found its way into Toman's circle.

"If we're smart about it, we can set up a trap," Akiko thought aloud. "If we can find a place and a time and a way to lure them in, we can confront the upper echelons of Pandemonium."

She slid off the sofa and stood next to Baji. "Think about it. We could turn the tables and win the upper hand!"

"Slow down, Kiko," Chifuyu said, looking between Akiko and Baji. "This could put Kazutora in danger. We have to be careful. These are grown men we're dealing with. They have access to firearms and control most of the gangs in Tokyo. We can't run headfirst into danger."

"I like the way you're thinking," Baji told Akiko, deliberately ignoring Chifuyu's warning. "What do you have in mind?"

"Well, for starters we need bait to lure Pandemonium out of hiding. If they think it isn't worth it, the upper echelon wouldn't waste their time and send another gang to deal with it, most likely Moebius. But if it's something that piques their interest or that is important to them, they won't want to miss out on it," Akiko proposed, tapping her chin thoughtfully.