Times Up

Ali hesitated before knocking on the door of Cabin 3. She knew Percy wasn't there, but she half expected to see him when Tyson opened the door.

"Ali?" He cocked his head. "Why are you here?"  He narrowed his eyes when he noticed Tyler standing behind her.

She drew Tyson's attention back to her. "I think we just spotted the Athena Parthenos, in the Long Island Sound just outside our patrols." She gazed seriously into his big brown eye. "I need you to make sure they get here. It's the only way to stop this war."

Tyson studies her for a moment before nodding. He turned into the cabin. "Ella, we have a mission."

The red-feathered Harpy hopped into sight. "Yay! Missions are good for Harpies."

"Thanks Tyson." Ali said. "I'd do it myself, but..."

"You need to keep the camp safe." Tyson finished.

She sighed. "Exactly."

"Don't worry." Tyson assured her. "We will get the statue here."

Ali nodded. "I know you will." She watched them stroll away towards the beach, disappearing into the night.

"What now?" Tyler asked.

She turned to face him. "Now... we prepare for the worst."
                                       *   *   *
The campers, especially Clarisse, we're less than excited about the message Tyson and Ella brought back.

They'd arrived at the beach rough an two hours after departing with Gleason Hedge riding behind them on Rainbow the Hippocampus. The satyr had gotten back just in time to watch his son be born. Tyson also said that Reyna would arrive with the statue at dawn, literally right before the Romans attacked.

Ali wasn't too happy about that part either, but at least it would get there.

"What if she's delayed? Or the Romans start attacking early? Or she never shows up?" Clarisse challenged. "What then? I, for one, would prefer not to be caught with my tail between my legs when the Romans get here."

"We won't." Ali raised her voice to be heard throughout the amphitheater. "I believe Reyna will get here in time, but, just in case, I'll take a few volunteers to scout the Roman forces. Then, at least, if worse comes to worst we'll know what we're up against."

Owen, Thomas, and Aubrey all looked ready to volunteer, but Ali gave them a hard glare. She didn't want to put them in anymore danger than they were already in. Tyler was a Roman so no one would let him go along and Ali had asked her sisters to keep an eye on things while she was gone. She didn't trust Clarisse to sit still in her absence. All that to say, she'd be going into enemy territory with strangers.

"I'll go!" Will Solace, the head councilor of the Apollo cabin stepped forward.

"Me too." Lou Ellen from the Hecate cabin emerged from the crowd. "I'll shield us from prying eyes."

"I'm in." Cecil, a son of Hermes, added. "Anything to mess with those douchebags."

Ali nodded. "Gear up. We leave in ten."
* * *
Ali crouched among the bushes with her scouting party. They'd reached the bottom of the hill without being spotted. The Roman line was only a few yards away and she already saw a problem.

"Catapults." She muttered.

Will peaked out at their enemies. "Technically they're Onagers."

"Either way." Ali pulled him back behind the bushes. "They're a problem. The Hephaestus kids never got around to building any heavy artillery."

Lou Ellen poked her head over the leaves. "It's a coward's way to fight. They could wipe us out without spilling any Roman blood."

"That definitely sounds like something Octopus would do." Ali observed.

"You mean Octavian?" Will clarified.

Ali bit her lip. "Right." She stared at the war machines. "Cecil, any ideas on how to take 'em out?"

The son of Hermes leaned around the bush. "I'm sure I could figure something out," He furrowed his brow. "but not from this distance."

"Nico?" Will stared off to their left, where the Sone of Hades had just appeared. He looked deathly paler, even more so than usual. His skin was almost transparent.

Will moved out of hiding and marched towards Nico.

"Will!" Ali hissed. She sighed and motioned for the others to followed they crept after the son of Apollo.

Will addressed the son of Hades.

Nico examined their little group confusedly. His gaze settling on Ali a bit longer than the others. "What's going on?"

"We're scouting the enemy." Will replied plainly.

"What about you, Ghost King?" Ali crossed her arms. "And why do you look more like a wraith than usual?"

He locked eyes with the daughter of Artemis. "I'm here to sabotage the Onagers."

He ignored her second question, but Ali could guess from the look on his face. He was exhausted. Whatever ghostly things he'd done to get here were draining him, in every sense of the word.

"Well," she looked from Nico to her three companions. "As long as we're here, it looks like the Son of Hades could use some help."

Nico resisted. "I can do this alone."

"It's always good to have help." Will offered.

"I don't need it." Nico held.

"Too bad," Ali said bluntly. "you're getting it."

Lou Ellen shrouded their presence with the Mist as they approached the first Onager. Cecil sabotaged the trajectory of the weapon and they continued on to the next catapult.

It was going well until one of the guards spotted them near the base of the weapon.

"Hey!" The legionnaire shouted and drew his gladius.

Ali drew Mason's sword and her venomous dagger. "Cecil, finish this catapult and get out of here."

"But Ali-" Will protested.

"That's an order, Will!" Ali raised her blades and faced the legionnaire, who was now joined by a few of his companions. She gripped the hilts tightly and narrowed her eyes. Ghostly silver flames licked across her weapons. "Bring it on Romani."

Suddenly, as the sun crested Half-blood Hill, the Greeks marched into view with Clarisse in the lead. Chiron stood among them with his bow, although he looked reluctant.

"Greeks!" Clarisse's voice carried into the valley. "Attack!"

A/N
We're almost done with Blood of Olympus! I plan to do more with this story. So, it'll continue past the HoO series, but we've almost reached the end of this part. 😁
Thanks for all the support guys. I'm glad you're enjoying this series.
-Cheshire