Cabin 8

Ali and Tyler appeared in the middle of pavilion as the campers were eating supper. All conversation stopped as every single camper froze to look at them.

Ali scanned the array of tables and stunned campers, still in shock from her conversation with Hypnos.

Tyler squeezed her hand, making her realize she'd grabbed his by instinct. He was still slightly pale and extremely uncomfortable.

Meg and the twins jumped up from their table and rushed them out of the pavilion before the campers could start shouting their questions. They ushered the pair to Cabin 8 and shut the door behind them.

Ali immediately sat down on her bed, Tyler flopped down next to her, staring at he wall.

The daughters of Artemis watched them expectantly, struggling to quell their curiosity.

"So?" Meg finally broke the silence. "What happened?"

Ali met her little sister's gaze, fear and confusion and a million other emotions warring in her eyes.

"Oh." Meg sat down beside Ali and wrapped an arm around her sister's shoulders.

There was a knock at the door.

Ali flinched and looked up.

Lydia watched her in concern. "I've got it." She walked to the door and opened it a crack. "Their not in the mood for visitors right now."

Annabeth's voice sounded from outside. "Please. I just want to if she's okay."

"Lydia." Ali took a deep breath. "Let her in."

"But..." Lydia protested.

"It's okay." She assured her.

Lydia nodded and stepped aside, opening the door for Annabeth.

The daughter of Athena slipped inside and walked over to Ali. Meg moved and Annabeth took her place beside the daughter of Artemis. "Are you okay?"

Ali struggled to hold Annabeth's gaze. "I'm not quite sure yet." Her voice broke on the last word.

Annabeth pulled her into a hug. "You know, you don't always have to be the 'strong one.'" She didn't say anything else. She just sat there with her arms around Ali.

Ali sank into the embrace, letting silent tears roll down her cheeks before pulling away and grabbing Tyler's hand.

He turned to meet her gaze.

They didn't need to talk. The gravity of everything they'd been through danced through their eyes.

Ali couldn't help remembering what she'd seen in the Valley of Nightmares - the little girl falling through the ice, no doubt the biggest regret of his life.

He squeezed her hand tighter and released a shaky breath as if he knew what she was thinking.

There was another knock at the door and Thomas threw it open without waiting for an answer. He, Aubrey, Percy, and Owen filed into the cabin, either unaware or unconcerned about the danger of Artemis striking them down.

Ali looked at the half-bloods crowding her cabin. "What are you all doing here?"

Thomas shrugged. "What do you think?"

"We're here for you." Owen gave her a warm smile.

Ali couldn't help but smile, wiping the tears from her face.

Annabeth squeezed her shoulders. "You have more family than you know."

She chuckled, fighting more tears. "I guess we do." She nudged Tyler to make him look at her.

He grinned awkwardly. "I think I need some rest."

Ali nodded. "I'll second that."

Annabeth pushed herself to her feet. "We'll leave to it then." She ushered the others out of the cabin.

"We'll let Chiron know you're not to be disturbed." Lyra led Meg and Lydia outside and shut the door behind them.

Tyler stared at the door as if hesitant to move.

Ali placed a hand on his shoulder, making him flinch. "You can stay here if you want." She offered.

He met her gaze, his fear morphing to relief. He nodded.
                                    *   *   *
Ali woke up before anyone else. Tyler was lying on the floor next to her bed. Despite the many open bunks, he'd refused to leave her side. It made sense. After everything they'd been through...

She'd slept fitfully. Constantly double-checking that she was in the cabin, that they were safe, that he was still there. There was still so much fear pumping through her system. She couldn't bring herself to settle down.

She pulled her knees close to her chest, blankets and all, hugging them tightly. It was the middle of the summer, but she still felt cold every time she thought about what had happened.

Tyler shifted and rolled over, his eyes fluttering open. "You're up."

Ali glanced down at him, her arms still wrapped around her legs. "I couldn't sleep." She stared at the blanket draped over her knees. "I was just... to afraid. That probably sounds really stupid."

"No," Tyler shook his head. "I know exactly what you mean." He threw aside his blankets and hopped onto the bed next to her. "It's almost like we're still there." He stared at his lap, hands shaking.

Ali reached over and grabbed his trembling fingers. "Well we're not. He can't hurt you here."

Tyler met her gaze, a shimmer of tears in his eyes. "He was never the one hurting me."

Ali let her legs hang over the side of the bed and wrapped her arm around his shoulders, still holding his quivering hand in hers. "You know it wasn't your fault."

He blinked back his tears. "You saw?"

Her thick black hair fell around her face as she moved to better see his face. "Everything." She squeezed his hand tighter. "Was she... a sister?"

A single tear escaped his eye as he nodded. "It was my idea to go ice skating. Mom warned us the ice was too thin," He squeezed his eyes shut. "but I promised her I'd keep Livvy safe." He couldn't fight the tears this time. His shoulders shook as he repressed his sobs.

Ali held him tighter. "You couldn't have known."

"Maybe." He locked eyes with her, tears streaming down his cheeks. "But I should've known better."

She took a deep breath and leaned her head on his shoulder. "I know what it's like to blame yourself - to hold yourself responsible for... the unimaginable." She shifted her head to see his face. "We always put more on ourselves than we deserve."

He looked down to meet her gaze. "Not in my case."