Valley of Nightmares

The air grew colder as Ali and Tyler journeyed farther into the valley. Each breath stung their lungs like a million needles. As they exhaled, the vapor of their breaths condensed into snowflakes, which fell to the ground and disappeared. It was freaky. No one - human or half-blood - should've been able to survive temperatures that low, let alone function normally. Yet, here they were, walking through it.

The grass crunched beneath their feet like dead leaves, crumbling to dust with every footfall. The wind kicked up the ashen particles, swirling them through the already polluted air and making it even harder to breathe.

Tyler fell back, choking on his own breath. He moved to release Ali's hand, but she tightened her grip and stepped closer to him.

"Maybe you should lead for a while." Her voice was hoarse through her chapped lips.

Finally, his coughing fit subsided. "I don't know where we're going." He sounded like he'd swallowed gravel.

She scoffed. "You think I do?" She tried to swallow, to moisten her throat, but whatever saliva she managed was sour with poison. "Just take us deeper in. I have no doubt we'll find him in he eye of the storm."

Red lightening flashed in the clouds, casting sloping shadows across Tyler's face. For a terrifying moment, he looked like a skeleton.

Ali caught her breath and almost ripped her hand free of his grip.

Tyler has a similar expression, but he blinked it away and nodded with determination, leading them deeper into the storm.
                                      *   *   *
Ali felt bad for having left Tyler in her dust, literally. With the son of Apollo in the lead, she struggled not to keel over and hack up a lung ever few paces. The wind seemed to blow the ashen grass directly into her face. But she couldn't walk in stride with him. Every time she tried, something forced her back, almost tearing them apart. As bad as walking in a constant dust cloud was, the last thing she wanted was to be left alone on the Valley of Nightmares.

The lightening overhead turned a richer deeper red as they pressed on into the storm. It resembled jagged blood-filled veins racing across the sky. The ominous red flashes lit up the valley just enough to reveal the ravaged landscape stretching on for miles. There was nowhere for monsters hide, but somehow it felt like they were everywhere, hiding in thin air.

Suddenly, Tyler stopped.

When the dust settled and her vision cleared, Ali sucked in a breath. She'd gotten used the quickened rate of her heartbeat, but now it tripled in speed, pounding out of her chest as she gazed at the scene before her.

A river cut through the valley, it's rushing water churning around the jagged rocks that broke the surface. But that wasn't the worst part. The water was crimson - red as blood.

Ali's throat closed up and her chest felt like it was festering with poison. "Must go where crimson rivers run." Her voice was weak and quiet as she recited the line.

Tyler glanced back at her over his shoulder. "I guess we figured out the rest of the prophecy then." He stared at the red river in horrified awe.

Ali surveyed the shoreline of the river and spotted a stone footbridge arching over the water. "I guess Morpheus finally got around to building his bridge." She heaved strained breaths as she led Tyler to the stone structure. She gazed across the river into the deepening shadows. There was no telling what waited for them on the other side of the bridge, but wouldn't be good.

Ali tightened her grip on Tyler's hand. "A quest to test a fatal flaw."

"And journey into terror's maw." He finished, squeezing her hand.

They locked eyes and nodded. Standing side-by-side for the first time since they'd entered the valley, Tyler and Ali walked across the bridge, hesitating as they reach middle of the river. They each took a deep ragged breath and plunged into the darkness on the far side of the river.
* * *
Ali immediately felt the difference as they stepped off the bridge. The shadows were darker and the poison in the air was more potent. The cold air chilled her to the bone and stabbed at her heart. Her fingers went numb in Tyler's grip. His own fingers were colder than ice. Her labored breaths threatened to freeze in her throat.

"W-what n-n-ow?" His teeth chattered as he tried to speak, his voice weak.

Ali's whole body shook, shivering in the violent cold. "We k-keep going... until w-we f-find him."

He tightened his grip on her buzzing fingers as if he couldn't feel them in his icy grip. "S-stay c-close."

Ali stepped closer, fighting the strange atmosphere trying to keep them apart. She took a shaky breath. "Always."

A/N
A little bit shorter again today, but hopefully you enjoyed it. 😁
The next chapters should get longer again. *fingers crossed*
Anyway, thank you all for the support. Glad you're enjoying my story.
-Cheshire