Together, One Last Time

Ali took a deep breath before stepping out of her cabin and walking towards the central hearth. She wasn't sure what she was going to tell Tyler. She just knew it would be awkward.

"There you are!" The words bounced through her mind like a siren, sounding her doom.

She turned to face the son of Apollo. "Hey, Tyler."

He stopped just shy of the hearth, a worry line creasing his forehead. "Where have you been all day? I haven't seen you since you took off at breakfast." He moved to her side, studying her features in the flickering light of the fire. "Is something wrong?"

Ali couldn't meet his gaze. She just stared into the flames. "I know I just got you to come here with me - to give up your whole life, to live here with me." She finally looked up, gaze locking on his sky blue eyes. They'd seemed to darken since their time in the Valley of Nightmares. "I shouldn't even be asking you this."

He cocked his head in confusion. "Asking me what?"

Ali dropped her gaze to the ground. "I... have to leave." She met his gaze. "I have to find out what Hypnos and Epialtes meant when they called us 'the Chosen.'" She bit her bottom lip nervously. "Aubrey... err, I think you have to come with me." She tore her gaze away from him again. "I understand if you don't want to."

Tyler grabbed her hands in his and waited for her to look at him. "I'm in."

"Just like that?" She asked.

He gave her hands a little squeeze. "Just like that. If Hypnos is right, our destinies are intertwined." He shrugged. "Besides... I'm a little curious myself."

She gave him a serious look. "Are you sure you want to get mixed up in all this? To get mixed up with me?"

"Definitely." He smirked. "I'm with you, no matter where it takes us."

Ali's chest tightened. "Well, I guess there's only one thing left to do."

"What's that?" He asked.

She took a deep breath. "Go."
* * *
"Let me get this straight." Thomas stood next to Aubrey on top of Half-blood Hill. "You don't know where you're going or what you're looking for... and you still think this is a good idea?"

Ali chuckled. "It sounds pretty bad when you put it like that."

Tyler draped his arm around her shoulders. "We'll be fine. I mean, we survived the Valley of Nightmares, didn't we?"

Ali looked at him and smiled. "Right."

"We'll miss you around here." Chiron strode forward in his equine form.

Ali flashed a wicked grin. "You didn't think you could get rid of me for good, did you?" She walked up to the old centaur. "I'll come visit."

Chiron nodded his approval. "Good luck, Ali."

She smiled and returned the nod. Raising her fingers to her lips, she gave a shrill whistle and Baron bounded up the hill with a large bundle of supplies slung over his back.

She stroked the dire wolf's huge furry head. "Well... I guess it's time." She turned to face the crowd that had gathered to see them off. It was bigger than she'd expected. Did that many people actually care about her?

Baron nudged her with his snout.

She looked back at him and gave a small smile. "I know." She walked around to his side.

"Wait!" Lydia and Lyra pushed out of the crowd. 

"You didn't think we'd let you go without saying goodbye." Lyra stopped in front of the large wolf, her long blonde hair cascading freely down her back.