Griffins at the Gate

Ali held her sword with a death grip as she faced down the monsters. She'd been prepared to fight one of her fears, not griffins. They were one of the few monsters she hadn't fought a hundred times before. And from the look on Tyler's face they shared a similar sentiment.

They were backed up to the bottom of the stairs, complete darkness behind them and blood thirsty lion-eagles in front of them. There wasn't much room to maneuver around the room. They either turned and ran - not a good option, or they faced the griffins head-on - also not a great option.

Ali gritted her teeth and muttered angrily under her breath. "Gods forbid, I face the same challenge twice."

Tyler gripped his sword with white knuckles. "What's the plan?"

"I've only fought a griffin once... and it didn't go exceedingly well." Ali stared down the prowling beasts. "What about you, Captain Sunshine? Any ideas?"

"They have extremely good eyesight," Tyler glared at the approaching monsters, his back bumping the wall behind him. "but they also have a blind spot. Right behind their ears."

Ali tightened her grip on her sword. "Good to know." She lunged forward.

Tyler paused. "Wait. Did you just call me 'Captain Sunshine'?"

The second griffin pounced before he got his answer. He ducked and the creature head-butted the cavern wall.

Ali danced around the first griffin's swiping attacks, stepping just out of reach of its deadly claws. She ducked and spun closer to the beast, but the griffin snarled and stomped the ground next to her, it's claws slicing her across the shoulder. She gritted her teeth to hold back a scream as she rolled away from the monster.

Clutching her bleeding left shoulder, she glared down the griffin and reached for her venomous knife. "Now, you asked for it." Her eyes flashed with silver flames and she charged the griffin, spinning and dodging the monster's claws and fangs, but, try as she might, she couldn't get close to it. Finally, she dove over it's paw and and slashed her dagger across its furry shoulder.

Roaring in pain, the griffin smacked her her across the room, racking its claws across her chest and throwing her into the cavern wall.

Pain surged through Ali's body as she collapsed to the floor. Blood streaked down her arm and streamed from the cuts in her chest. They weren't deep, but they stung.

Meanwhile, the griffin stumbled around the room, favoring its injured leg. It sidestepped into its companion, running them both into the wall. The other griffin growled and shoved the poisoned monster aside. It collapsed with a whimper and didn't move again, it's body crumbling into golden dust.

The second griffin turned back on Tyler, a growling hiss rumbling in the back of its throat. It lowered its head and arched its back, staring down the son of Apollo.

Tyler readied his sword, ghostly golden flames igniting along the blade and burning in his eyes. "Bring it on, Fuzzy." He sounded less than confident.

The griffin charged him, teeth bared. Claws spread, it lunged forward.

Tyler just managed to duck as the beast sailed over him. He swung his sword over his head, slicing through the griffin's throat.

The monster exploded in a cloud of golden glitter as it made contact with the wall. The shimmering dust drifted through the air like a curtain blown in the wind. Tyler pushed through it, choking on the monster remains.

Ali forced herself to stand and meet him, clutching her stomach with her bloodied arm. "I see you got lucky."

Tyler scanned himself for injuries, but only found a small cut on his right shoulder. "I see you didn't." He unslung his backpack and dug out a piece of ambrosia. "Here."

Ali accepted the small parcel of godly food and popped the ambrosia into her mouth. Her tastebuds flooded with the sensation of chocolate milk running across her tongue. A warmth blossomed in her chest and the pain subsided. Her arm, which had gone numb, buzzed with renewed feeling.

"Thanks." She pulled a jacket over her shredded shirt and faced the cats.

Morpheus as grooming himself, his velcro tongue combing through his black fur. Phantasus watched them curiously, his big eyes shining with rainbow colors. They turned and the wrought iron gate squealed open.

Ali stared into the colorful Realm of Dreams beyond. She couldn't help remembering everything that had happened their, the good and the bad. She'd gained an ally, but she'd Morpheus had almost killed. She'd lost all her memories and almost joined Kronos. She'd gotten her memories, she'd remembered Mason, only for him to be taken away from her. A new pain rooted itself in the pit of her stomach - a pain no amount of nectar or ambrosia could take away.

Her hands shook and her heart raced. She wasn't ready to return the Realm of Dreams.

Tyler took her trembling hand in his and gave it a gentle squeeze. He waited for her to look at him. "Don't worry. You're not doing it alone this time."

Ali took a long shaky breath and tightened her grip on his hand to remind herself that he was there. Steeling themselves, Ali and Tyler walked through the gate together.

A/N
Yay! I managed to get a chapter out this week!! Hope you guys enjoyed it.
Also, Hailey gave me book one of Trials of Apollo, so I've started to read that as well. 😁
Thanks for all the support guys.
Until next time,
-Cheshire