Last Goodbye

"I can't believe this." Annabeth sat down on the bench of one of the tables in the pavilion. "I thought you were finally done running."

Ali walked over and sat next to the daughter of Athena, unable to meet her or Percy's gazes. "I know. My life just keeps getting more complicated." She stared at her hands resting in her lap.

Percy took a seat next to Annabeth. "When do you think you'll be back."

"That's just it." Ali finally locked eyes with the son of Poseidon. "I'm not coming back. Not for good anyway."

"What do you mean 'you're not coming back'?" Percy looked ready to jump up from his seat and lock her in a closet.

Ali dropped her gaze to the ground. "I... I can't do it. I can't stay in one place." She scoffed at herself. "Yet another way, I take after my mother." She looked at her friends. "I'm really sorry. Before the quest... I wanted to stay, but something always comes up. Home is something I don't think I'll ever have." She gave them a weak smile. "Not in the physical sense of the word anyway."

Without warning, Annabeth threw her arms around Ali. She squeezed her so tight the daughter of Artemis struggled to breathe. "Good luck." She pulled back and punched Ali in the shoulder, fighting back tears. "You better come visit."

Ali bit back her own tears. "Nothing could keep me away."

Percy chuckled. "I'll believe that." He pulled them into a group hug.

"What's going on?" A voice drew their attention to where Thomas stood watching them, grease smeared across his clothes and face and a pair of oversized goggles pressing into his forehead.

Ali looked at Percy and Annabeth. "Can we have a minute?"

They both nodded, stood, and walked away towards the cabins.

"What was that about?" Thomas asked again.

Ali sighed. "Come here." She patted the bench beside her. "You're gonna want to sit down."
                                  *   *   *
"Okay, What?!" Thomas met her gaze in confusion.

Ali sighed. "Thomas, I've had to explain this like six times today. Please don't make me do it again."

"But..." he scrambled for the words. "I... I just don't get it. I thought things were getting better."

"They are." She assured. "They have. Just..."

"Not good enough to stay." He finished.

Ali wrung her hands. "It's not your fault. It's never been anyone else's fault." She met his gaze. "It's me. I'm just... too much like my mom."

"I can't believe I'm about say this." Thomas sighed in exasperation, shaking his head. "Fine. Go... do your weird Artemis stuff."

Ali pulled him into a side hug. "You're the best."

A smirk crept across his face. "I know."
* * *
Ali sat on the edge of the dock, her feet dangling in the water, trying to figure out how to tell Aubrey she was leaving.

The daughter of Apollo had not been happy with her disappearance almost two years ago. She wanted an explanation, but... Ali wasn't sure how to give one. She'd told the story so many times that day, it should've been easy, but, for some reason, this time was different.

Someone approached her, footsteps creaking on the dock. She prayed it wasn't Aubrey.

"May I join you?" A wave of relief washed over her as Percy's voice greeted her ears.

"Of course." She answered without looking up.

Percy took a seat beside her, his feet splashing into the water next to hers. He sighed contentedly. "It's been a while since we've been out here, just the two of us."

"Yeah." Ali agreed. "Not since I left to find Meg and the twins." She stared at the horizon.

"I think about that day a lot." His comment caught Ali off guard.

She finally looked at him as he leaned back on his hands, gazing at the calm water. "Really?"

He nodded, keeping his eyes fixed on the Long Island Sound. "I remember the way you looked at me, the way the breeze tossed your hair. I'd never seen it down before." He chuckled and finally looked at her, his green eyes shining with nostalgia. "I wonder what would've happened if you had stayed. How things would be different." He moved his gaze back to the water. "I know we'd never be... well... you know, but I still care about you, a lot." He took a deep breath. "I missed you." He locked eyes with the daughter of Artemis. "And now, here we are again - on the dock, right before you leave."

Ali hung her head, not sure what to say. Out of a lack of options, she pulled him into a hug. It was extremely awkward, but it felt good. They both needed a little comfort right now.
                                 *   *   *
"You're really doing it." Aubrey stood in the doorway to Cabin 8. "I didn't want to believe Thomas was telling the truth."

Ali took a deep breath before turning to face the red-headed daughter of Apollo. "Aubrey..."

"Don't." She cut Ali off. "You don't need to explain. I can't tell you how to live your life."

Ali met her gaze and stood from where she'd been packing things into her bag. "Don't talk like that." She walked over to her friend. "You deserve to know why, but you might want to sit down first."
* * *
"Wow." Aubrey finally said when Ali had finished. "That's... a lot."

Ali chuckled. "My thoughts exactly." She hung her head. "That's why I have to go. I have to figure out what I am - what being 'the Chosen' entails."

Aubrey nodded. "I understand, but you forgot one thing." She locked eyes with Ali. "My brother."

Ali looked away.

"You know you have to bring him with you." Aubrey pressed. "Tyler's a part of this too. Without him, you're just Ali, the daughter of Artemis."

"The freakishly powerful daughter of Artemis." Ali muttered.

Aubrey rolled her eyes. "My point is you two are connected. You're stronger together and your destinies are intertwined."

Ali sighed annoyedly. "You have no idea how tired I am of hearing that."

Aubrey shrugged. "It's true. When you go, you have to take him with you."

A/N
So... that was very much a filler, but I hope you enjoyed it. We have like one chapter left... 😐🥺😂😅🥰😱😭 I don't know how to feel.
Anyway, I'll see you all next time. Hope you have a great week.
-Cheshire