𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙎𝙞𝙭

(By the way, from now on, you'll most likely be wearing your uniform (≧∀≦).)

You were assigned a mission, finally after a few months.

It was an abandoned building, a little intimidating to be honest. The building was said to contain a Grade 1 curse, which shouldn't be too difficult to deal with, and had a few lingering Grade 3's and 4's.

Shouldn't take too long, atleast. You thought.

The building looked a lot bigger in person, but you wouldn't let that affect you (other than a sweat drop or two threatening to fall from your forehead). You took a few steps in, already feeling a little uneasy.

"This is my first mission in months, suck it up and exorcise some curses!" You whisper-yelled to yourself in hopes of feeling braver.

It didn't really work. Were abandoned buildings always this creepy?

You strolled throughout the building, not finding hints of anything living.

"Come out, come out, where ever you are!" You yelled with a tint of anxiousness.

I thought I came to kill monsters not play hide and seek.

You rolled your shoulders and straightened your back, continuing to plod through the hallways. You discovered a set of stairs and decided to use them. Maybe then you would find the curses?

You walked up the seemingly never ending staircase to be met with a long hallway with rooms connecting to it. You sighed, knowing it would take forever to check every single room, so without wasting another second you walked into each room, one by one by one.

There were a few of the rumored Grade 3 and 4 curses, but no Grade 1 in sight.

Boring.

Once you reached the end of the hall, not finding the Grade 1 curse, you found a young girl, looking around the age of seven or eight. She seemed to be crying, knees to her chest with her arms around her legs and her head resting on her knees.

"Hey, hey, are you okay?" You gently spoke as you crouched down in-front of her.

She looked up at you with red, puffy eyes, tears still flowing from them. She didn't say anything, all she did was point to her right. You looked towards where she was pointing and saw a woman's corpse, seemingly fresh. The woman looked to be around her early 30's and similar to the little girl, so you assumed it was her mother. She probably died from the curse about a few hours, at most a day before you found her.

You turned back to the young girl to find her silently crying into her knees. You weren't really the best at comforting people, so it was a little awkward for a second.

"Is, uh, is that your mother?" You quietly said.

She nodded. You gently grabbed her arms

"Do you want her necklace? I saw it on her." You said giving her a small smile. She immediately nodded, so you moved towards the corpse, gently pulling off the necklace and then handing it to the young girl. The sight was horrible, you didn't understand how the young girl wasn't screaming with how disfigured her (possibly) mother's body was. Her face was rather in tack, but her body looked chewed and she was missing a few limbs.

"T-thank yo-you." She muttered.

"Of course. Now I'm going to get you out of here and into safety, okay?"

"I d-don't want t-to leave my mom-mommy."

"I'm sorry, but we have to."

She looked down to the necklace previously placed in her hand.

"C-can you put it o-on m-me?"

You gently but swiftly grabbed it out of her hand, not wanting to use up too much time. You took one end in your right hand the other end in your left hand, connecting it in the back of the girl's neck.

You held out both hands for the girl to stand up.

"I'm going to carry you in front, alright? It's dangerous here and I want to be able to keep you safe."

She nodded as she held her arms out. You crouched and she wrapped her arms around her neck. You stood straight, the girl wrapping her legs around your torso. You used your left arm to support her and make sure she doesn't fall. You two adjusted a little until you were both comfortable, her head buried in the crook of your neck. You felt warm tears on your shirt, alerting you that she was crying. You used your free hand to gently rub along her back, trying to calm her down a little.

You started to slightly run down the stairs and out of the haunted building, as quick as you could. You navigated throughout the halls, trying to remember your previous path and finding the exit.

"You can get down now if you want." You whispered into her ear.

You felt the friction of her face against your neck as she shook her head.

You took your hand that was rubbing her back off to reach for your phone.

You searched for the contact and found 'Gojo'. You dialed the number, the other end not answering. You didn't want to startle the young girl clinging on to you so you just mentally cursed. You called again, Gojo actually picking up.

"Hey you finally called me! Did you miss me? "

"No. I need you to come here. There's a little girl with me that I saved from the abandoned building the higher-ups assigned me to exorcise."

"Ah, send me the address. I'll be there soon, princess."

You quickly hung up after hearing the pet name he used, and sent the location.

Only a little after, you felt a tap on your shoulder and the grip from the little girl tighten.

You turned around and rubbed the girl's back again.

"Finally." You said in a sarcastic tone.

"Congratulations on calling me for the first time, although you've had my number for weeks."

"Yeah yeah."

"So what'd you need me for?"

"Well, either you can take her-"

"No!" The young girl interrupted.

You and Gojo equally looked confused.

"I-I don't want you to leave." She stuttered as she tightened her grip on your shirt.

"Alright, I guess it's settled. I'll need you to finish checking the building for curses. I'll wait out here."

"Fine, but you owe me."

You simply rolled your eyes as you watched Gojo walk into the building.

"So what's your name?" You whispered to the young girl.

"K-Kumiko."

"That's a beautiful name, Kumiko."

You felt her smile slightly against your neck.

"Thank you. W-what's your name?"

You told her your name, still rubbing her back and slightly bouncing her, hoping to comfort her.

"You have a pretty name too." She mumbled.

You smiled as you heard the young girl's words. You noticed that she stopped shaking as much and there weren't anymore tears coming from here eyes. You two stayed in a comfortable silence for a few minutes, before you saw Gojo come back out.

Thanks for reading!

Updated in 2023: two years later still love kumiko :3

1198 Words.