Chapter 4 ◌ Il mio vestito viola

MARLENA

MARLENA

August 2016, Villa Borghese

It's a sunny day so I decide to wear some lighter fabrics. I know that today the park will be crowded, Italians love to go out in the warm weather and sit by the lakes or stroll around with a nice gelato.

That's when they will see me dancing in my pavilion, hidden under a couple of trees, but with a wonderful view of the water. It's still early so I have time to set everything up before my potential audience arrives. I put my speakers behind a pillar, next to my bag with some food and water. 

I take my purple dress out of my sports bag and I carefully pull it over my shoulders

I take my purple dress out of my sports bag and I carefully pull it over my shoulders. The fabric is soft and comfortable, the top accentuates my waist and the skirt flows in the wind. The purple compliments my slightly tanned skin and chestnut hair. Normally I don't wear such bright colors, but I sense today will be special. This dress makes me feel good about myself, I secretly know I look very appealing at this moment. 

 I start braiding my hair, trying to tame my curls, but then someone touches my arm.

"Ciao," he says, out of breath, "I was doing my morning run and saw you standing here. And I just had to stop by and ask, what is questa bella ragazza in a nice dress standing here so early?"

I laugh. "I'm a dancer. I perform here because I like to make people smile by doing what I love most. Ballet."

My plan to come here early so I could warm-up and stretch before there were other people wandering around is kinda messed up now because I've got unexpected company.

"I'm glad I changed my route today," he says and winks.

The guy looks my age, or maybe a little older. 17, at most 18. His brown locks are sweaty and he smells a little but yet I'm impressed by the way he presents, even a little intimidated. Why would a guy like him come to talk to me?

"When exactly are you performing today, if I may ask?"

"11 o'clock, that's when the mass will come into the park to enjoy the weather and view first, and then they will go eat lunch."