Chapter 16 ◌ Accanto a te

DAMIANO

DAMIANO

Quirinetta, April 2018

Tonight is the last gig of Måneskin's first tour in Teatro Quirinetta in Rome. We decided to go home for the closing concert because it would be extra special for our own people that can come to see us, and our newest single Morirò da re came out last week. So we can give our public a premiere performance of the song. The venue is completely sold out, but that isn't a surprise since this is our own city and these people might have seen us play on the streets or in the park. 

We're always a little nervous before a show, but those are healthy nerves. And with my Marlena by my side, I feel invincible. She stands always stands on the same spot backstage with a proud look on her face and her thumbs up. Sometimes I look at her while singing and she reminds me to completamente go for it. 

Everything goes well, we do our covers, the public goes wild on our cover of Alors on danse and I grin when I see Marlena swing and clap out of the spotlights. 

We end our performance with Morirò da re, the public is quiet because they don't know the lyrics yet, but halfway through they start singing along. We're giving everything but I feel something is missing. I sign at Marlena that she has to come on stage as well. I take her hand and make a bow for my queen, the girl I wrote this song for. I drag her on the podium between us and we start over with the song. 

Marlena, vinci la sera. Spogliati nera, prendi tutto quello che fa comodo e sincera. Apri la vela, dai viaggia leggera

Tu, mostra la bellezza a questo popolo ed io...

And she swings her hips, flutters among us, she's charming us with her extraordinary movements. She's definitely showing her beauty to the people. And then she takes my hand and sways with me. Our legs move synchronically like we do this every day. It reminds me of the first time we danced, and the second one and ...

When the song's over, we're all out of breath. The audience gives us a thunderous applause. Victoria and Thomas are cheering as well, they're so proud and thankful for our journey. Ethan comes from the back to stand with us and as he bows, his long raven hair swings in our faces. Marlena is standing awkwardly next to me, the magnetic, tempting dancer she just was has changed back into the timid girl I love equally or even more. 

I kiss her full on the lips and she looks me questioning in the eyes. 

I whisper "La vita senza te non può essere perfetta (life without you can't be perfect)."

She laughs at me with love written all over her face. She lighted up right in front of me. Oh to my longing for another kiss and her touch on my skin, but we're decent human beings so I decide to wait until we're home without all these people around us. They come to congratulate us, praise our performance, they even give us flowers. I put one in Marlena's hair as I kiss her on her forehead, and Thomas tries to stick one in Vic's hair but she resists, so he puts it in Ethan's delicate locks. Ethan runs after Thomas but then he sees himself in the glass of a window. "Bell'uomo," he says and winks at his reflection colored with neon lights. We all start laughing, the craze of our show rolls off our shoulders. 

We even pop a bottle of bubbles that we got of a fan because we've deserved this. The drink sparkles on my tongue. Thomas, Ethan, and Vic get the brilliant idea to drink from each other's mouths because they saw people do it in a series. Gli idioti spill it everywhere, what a waste of this enchanting drink. Yet I'm kinda into their idea, so afterwards I give Marlena a sweet peck to taste the sparkles mixed with the taste of her luscious lips.

When all the people are gone, we're tired but gratified. We hug and kiss each other goodbye and we part our ways. Thomas and Vic giggling walk away together and Ethan takes his phone to call someone to take him home, because he knows I won't do that tonight. I take Marlena's hand in mine and pull her closer as we walk to my car. We're smiling quietly on the drive, it's just us in the dark under the starry midnight sky with AM by Arctic Monkeys coming through the speakers. When we arrive at my apartment block, I walk out to open Marlena's door and I kiss her on the hand when she crawls out of her seat. I want to touch every cell and every flake of her body with my smoldering lips. But I've to keep my hands and lips to myself for a little more time because I have a tiny surprise for her.

We go upstairs to my place and I ask her to go sit on my bed. I take my guitar, I am still learning but it's the gesture that counts. I sing Morirò da re once more on the top of my lungs and she's humming the words with me, but when it's finished, I merge the sound coming out of my guitar from rhythmic to a ballad, I start singing softly and lean my face to her ears, my lips just not touching her blushing cheeks. 

**

dopo la mia vita da re,
prendi la mia corona,
e prendi il mio trono.
salute la regina.
seppelliscimi sotto gli alberi in fiore.

il mio eterno amore,
marlena, accanto a te, moriro da re.
non scappare quando ti ho chiesto di restare
dal primo giorno ti amerò per sempre

*

After my life as a king
Take my crown
And take my throne
Salute the queen
Bury me under the blooming trees
My endless love,
Marlena, next to you I'll die like a king
Don't run away when I ask you to stay,
I'll love you forever, from the first day

**

When I'm finished with the extra part of the song, I hear her gasp because she was holding her breath to suck in my words. "E ti adoro fino alla fine," she whispers, responding to the last verse. Her heart is bouncing rapidly in her chest and mine likewise. I pull one leg over my lap, I'm glad that I put my guitar away right on time. She sits straight up with her body against me, I bury my lips in her neck. She tastes like the candy I could never have when I was young. 

She heaves a long sigh when our lips finally fuse. Her fingertips wander over my torso and she softly grabs my hair. She's everywhere. 

We're two magnets: pushing and pulling, waiting to attach. The potential energy between us is sky-high. Sparks fly when our fibers collide.

Our sweet caresses turn into greedy touches. 

And as we lay down our hips fit perfectly like the sun smoothly sinks behind the horizon. We create our own sunset and dawn over and over again as the moon secretly glances through the curtains. The moonlight illuminates our intertwined silhouettes as we become one. 

The stars watch over us the entire time as well. I bet all those glimmers are their cheeky smiles because they can attend another dance tonight. But no lights shine brighter than those in Marlena's eyes piercing in mine. Her brilliance only extinguishes when we fall asleep eventually, her body is resting on my warm skin. 

This was the perfect closure of this day, although I think it's already the next one. This was the excelling end of our amazing first set of official gigs, it will take some time to process it's over for now, and that we've time again to explore and search for our own (musical) limits. I don't know yet what will be there for us when we wake up. But that's the greatness of artists, we get to be creative to fill our own lives. It can be hard and it can be exhausting but that doesn't matter as long as we have fun.

I promise myself that night that I'll take Marlena everywhere with me, I'm wishing for a shooting star. I want this to last forever.