Chapter 20 ◌ La colpa sarà tua

MARLENA

MARLENA

Rome, 2021

The news that Damiano was in a traffic accident spreads like wildfire. Before they could post something on their own socials, paparazzi pictures started circulating on the internet. Pictures that I rather not have seen, of his bruised skin and broken smile. This novelty just broke my heart. Not only because I assume that I won't see them on their special gig, that would be selfish to think but I see some greedy fans cry their eyes out on Instagram because the accident ruined their chance to meet Måneskin. It breaks my heart that Damiano is in visible physical pain, he looked decrepit, tired, and scared. 

I feel sick as well, wishing that I was in physical pain instead of him because he has been through enough. I have this queasy feeling from overthinking, why on earth was he on the streets at night?

When the message of the accident came out at night, I couldn't fall asleep so I have been awake for too many hours by now. It doesn't make sense that I'm so wretched that I am restless and have no appetite. It's like my body wants to feel defeated because Dami is. I wish I could take his pain away because I am to blame for how he's been hurt in the past and my body can endure some more right now to balance with my mental distress. My thoughts are intoxicating my brain. 

Were they fighting? What about the rest of the band? Was he drunk? But most of all, will he be okay?

In the morning there's a new tweet on MåneskinOfficial's account:

We're very sorry to inform you and mostly our Italian fans that we will take some time off, mainly for Damiano to recover from the car accident he was in this night but also for us to work and reflect on ourselves. We don't know yet how much time we'll need but we ask you to be patient. We promise we will be back, stronger than ever!

Instantly this message gets trending and fans react with many hearts and kisses, they understand exactly that their break is necessary. I kinda love the way the Måneskin community is, not as selfish and toxic as I always thought and how I saw their fan base as a bad thing. I believe they actually love them, maybe not as much as I did but enough to thrive for. I know the band doesn't really need all those people to do well but their support and kindness definitely is a positive thing.

I used to blame the fanbase and craze for bad things happening between me and Damiano but now I see I am the one to blame. I was the one that wasn't understanding enough, and I absorbed all the love Damiano had in him. 

I'm sad as well I won't be able to go to their concert but what was I thinking? I was the person who fucked it all up, they wouldn't even want me there. It has been such a long time... I'm pathetic for not even reaching out to them, thinking it was his fault for not taking the first step when I stepped away back then without further explanation after our fight, just leaving him there with the mess I made. Our love was messy from the beginning but that doesn't mean it wasn't pure. For my love, he'd do everything I wanted. I could easily take advantage of it and maybe I did unconsciously.