Chapter 8 ◌ L'occhio umano

ETHAN

ETHAN

August 2016, Via del Corso

My friends are standing in front and I sit in the back as usual. But I don't care because I see everything from this position. Sitting here gives me a newer, more interesting perspective on the daily life of the people passing by.

Damiano, Victoria and Thomas walk around while doing their thing whilst I am sedentary. And I really don't mind, I enjoy drumming with my hair in the wind, it brings me to another dimension. Right now we're playing in the shopping street, people passing us by and now and then they stop to watch us. They cheer for Damiano's raspy voice, he catches the most attention. While people are watching us, I watch them. I'm a guy who likes to pay attention to details. I want to get where the human eye stops.

I wonder what people think of us. Are they really applauding for us because we have something extraordinary or just because Damiano is hot and Vic's cute?

I feel like we're a heap of irregularities, we really need something to make us an entity instead of a bunch of loose particles. I want us to become something unique but I'm afraid of not fitting in. That's why we only play well-known songs, our safety net. But I'm new here, the others have known each other for a longer time, so I'm a little afraid of speaking up. I like to be silent sometimes, except for my drumming then, but for once I want us to agree on something for our own stability and constancy.

We can't keep switching places like this, trying to attract the public. Not after the little fight we had with that girl last week. But you know, Damiano is stubborn, he always finds something to bicker about. He acted come un bastardo to her, but surprisingly their tempers matched. I was glad Vic stepped in and talked to them both. The rest of the day was a blast, she taught us some funny dance moves to try while we're playing. Well, not for me, but some steps to make us coherent. Exactly what I meant with "an entity".

Marlena was a very nice girl actually and also not the type you'd predict to fight with Damiano. She definitely wasn't that frail as she looked, she was bold and smart. Exactly what we need. That's why I invited her for today, only the rest of the band doesn't know yet. She promised she would come and see us after lunch since it's only a quarter of an hour walking from her pavilion.

And then I see her around 1 PM, a slender girl in a flowy dress with her hair in a braided bun. She's gorgeous but in the way she's walking, I think she doesn't see herself like that. It's completely different from when she dances: her shoulders pushed back and her back straight with the elegance of someone who was just born to dance.

She's coming from behind, sneaking as a fox, I guess she's trying to scare Damiano as she puts her finger on her lips, signing at me that I have to shut it and act normal. Damiano's too busy entertaining some girls who are filming us. I don't like that, why does everyone have to watch everything through a lens when God gave us the gift of decent eyesight. Why can't people just live in the moment and enjoy what life brings us, burn the memories on their retina instead of the storage of their phones?