[8] Alternatively, They Break In Once More

1

"...And that concludes my tale."

Blair's story was followed with a brief breath of silence. Between Seiko and I, neither of us knew how to properly respond. Training camps? Cerberus? I mean, how could anyone process this crap all in a row?

As my mind reeled, struggling to develop a proper response, I heard Seiko clear her throat from beside me. "So... you just... left?"

"I did."

"And they didn't stop you?"

"They hadn't been able to find me. Guards were only able to account for the fact that I had left, and not where I had left to."

"They never sent out search parties to find you, either?"

"Not once, although I suppose I was only gone for a month. That is enough time to scout the entirety of World:Two."

"One last question," Seiko murmured, shuffling her feet. "Why did you leave Valeria behind?"

This question seemed to catch Blair off guard, as her expression drooped, shoulders slightly sagging. Flashing her eyes to the side, she mumbled, "it would have been too dangerous for her to come with me. I didn't want anyone to come after her."

"And you think the camps are any safer than that?"

"Seiko, are you alright? You have displaced your usual diction."

Seiko bit her lip, rubbing her elbow a bit. "I'm fine. Just unsettled."

"Anyone would be, after hearing a story like that," I finally chimed in with a nod.

"I apologize. I should have warned you both of its contents."

"That's not the issue," Seiko's body fell limp. "I'm just worried about Valeria, that's all. I know I've never met her personally, but she's just a little girl. Not even a teenager yet. Should any of those tests happen again..."

"Prior to my leaving, we had just concluded a test. They would not hold another for a couple more months."

"But still, you can't justify based on that!"

"...I apologize."

"Don't apologize to me. I'm not Valeria."

"Regardless, I am sorry. Especially because I was unable to save her."

"But it was for her sake, wasn't it?"

Blair hesitated for a brief moment. "...I suppose the real reason is because I am a coward."

Seiko fell silent.

"I needed to escape that hell of a training camp. My thought process held no other factors beside that against me. I figured that..."

"That you had to leave, even if it meant leaving Valeria behind," I bit my lip as I finished her sentence.

With a grim nod, Blair's head lowered, and she clamped her hands into fists that rested beside her legs. "With each day I spent there, it was growing insufferable. Even now, I can still hear the cries of those who died and those who adored the dead.

Although in the end, for my actions... I truly do believe that I am weak."

Within an instant, the palm of my hand met the side of Blair's face. She flinched backwards, lifting her sleeves to cover the reddening skin. She opened her mouth to speak once more, but I cut her off with a shake of my head.

"You shouldn't say things like that, Blair. You know just as well as I do that you're far from weak."

"But-"