[9] Quietly, She Makes an Oath

1

The events that followed our last hurrah with Cerberus were, shockingly, a lot calmer and easygoing than I had expected.

For starters, we, notably, fled the scene as hurriedly as physically possible. It certainly wouldn't have been pleasant to be caught then of all times, so as soon as we'd taken a breather, we'd gathered ourselves and booked it.

Our next step was to find a way to leak it to the press. News had to get out some way or another, be it through a radio system or newspaper, and although none of us had ever caught signs of it, there was, in fact, a newspaper industry running about. As far as I was aware, it was run by an affiliate outside the Guild as well, implying less of a defense toward Blairs' parents- given they were the leaders and all.. Minako then handed Blair the papers; it would have seemed somewhat less suspicious for the daughter herself to present such audacious information, so we followed her to a small hut outside the World:Two town's border.

Oddly enough, for a newspaper industry, the building itself wasn't of too high quality. It seemed worn down, almost as if its structure had lasted a million years by now, with dust gathering in corners and cobwebs lining the walls like they were hung up for decor. Not only that, but the building appeared rather hidden as well, tucked just behind a bulging cliffside. Blair had informed us that she'd only known of its whereabouts from when she was a kid, exploring the boundaries of World:Two, but since then, not much had spread regarding its existence.

As we approached the building, she crossed her arms, carefully clutching the papers in one hand. "That's odd. I remember this building looking more... extravagant."

"Maybe nobody cares about newspapers now that there's radios?" MInako suggested, but Blair dismissed it with a simple shake of her head.

"Back when I was younger, when my parents had recently been appointed as Guild leaders, newspapers were all over the place. Everyone was reading them. It was the gossip of its time," she frowned. "It seems strange that it disappeared all of a sudden."

"Have you ever read it, Blair?"

"I did, once. As a matter of fact, perhaps its contents are what took it out of business," Blair murmured. We had grown closer to the door, creeping about to ensure that no passerby would know of our affairs. "It was a fair amount of... rumors, I suppose. Large accusations placed primarily on World leaders, exposing them for unknown crimes. Of course, everyone began believing this strange word of the paper, so maybe..."

"The Worlds shut them down?" Nyoko mumbled.

"That's some funky business," I rubbed my chin. "Well, whatever Blair's parents were doing with human trafficking clearly means something sketchy is going on. If this newspaper business really knows something..."

"I reckon that they have not updated their newspaper in a multitude of months, or potentially years. They fear how the World may lash out at them. Their newspapers have been replaced by foolish cutesy magazines in the meantime."

"So then why are we trying to publish the training camp situation here, meow?" Seiko inquired, to which Blair gave her a pat on the shoulder.

"You see, if they hear about something that directly counters the World, then what action may my parents take about it? If they stop them, it will prove the occurrence of something sketchy. And besides," she cleared her throat, "anyone wondering about the camp is capable of seeing it for themselves. A walk behind the estate, and they've practically already compromised it."

It seemed we'd all mutually agreed with Blair, as none of us responded by the time she'd cracked open the door to the hut. As the first couple of us stepped inside, we craned our necks to glance around us. The walls were coated in frames, each containing a different picture, document, or some kind of torn-out newspaper letter. In a back corner was a stove, appearing dusty and moldy, and beside it, a messily crafted wooden table. Behind that was a door, one that most likely led to a more work-related sector. And then, in one of the other corners, a hammock sat tied to either opposing wall. However, Atop it...