18: Confessions

Gavin

“What is he like?” I asked Valerie. We were talking on the phone around evening as I waited for dad to finish up dinner. He was good, but very slow.

“He’s pretty decent, I don’t know,” Val said from the other end. “from what you’ve told me, I like Zane more,”
“His anger?” I asked suspiciously.

“Yup,”

“Our not-so-friendly history?”

“Yup,”

“The reserved personality?”

“Yu-,”

“Don’t say ‘yup’,” I yelled.

"It seems to me like you're digging Zane's flaws, Gavin," I didn't realise that, but I kind of was.

"I don't know what to do, Valerie. What if he doesn't remember me? What if I don't like him?"

I let out a sigh, shifting uncomfortably in bed.
It was what I’ve been waiting for my whole life. A stupid promise, a lifetime of waiting, and a little kid’s last hope. I never expected to find a little kid who shaped up most of my upbringing. I grew up on kids’ fantasies and knights in shining armor. It hit different when the knight in shining armor showed up but I was falling for the damoiseau in distress.

I get carried away whenever I'm with him. He annoys me and makes me angrier than I've ever been. He frustrates me and makes me wanna show him that life is more than what he sees it to be.

"Sounds to me like you're in love, Gavin," I went silent. "Did you swallow your tongue, dumbass?"

"Hey I'm a year and three months older than you,"

"Not the point here, grandpa,"

"Gavin!" dad bellowed from the kitchen. Dinner must've been ready.

"In a minute!" I called back. "I got to go, Val. Dinner is ready,"

"You'll be here for the season's last game and you'll get to meet him. We'll see how it goes then, right?"

"Right," I jumped out of bed. "Talk later."

"later."

I threw my phone on the bed and dashed to the kitchen.

-

Lester, Casper, and I walked into The Mug Drug for a morning coffee. Lester piled a stack of 4 notebooks in front of him on the table.

"I'm kind of late on some homework," he explained.

"Val found the drawing. The actual drawing," both Lester and Casper went into shock. "He's in her school,"

"AND WE'RE GOING THERE SOON!" Lester screamed. In the silent café. I hated his guts. The café was generally quiet on Saturday mornings.

I left the table to order our coffees. Zane appeared from behind the counter, and for a second my heart stopped. I had forgotten he worked here, and I hadn't seen him since Thursday other than the random school meet-ups.

"Morning sir, how may I help you?" He talked sternly, leaving me a little confused. What did I do this time?

"I'm, I want an uh,"

"I'm joking, Gavin," He said nonchalantly. I sighed big time.

"That wasn't funny at all," but he seemed very amused.

"I like it when you're flustered and blushing," it was as if on cue, my ears felt five degrees hotter.

Then he started making the coffees I didn't order. "But I haven't ordered anything yet,"