Chapter 6: "Not to a Mandalorian's Standards"

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* Chapter 6: "Not to a Mandalorian's Standards" *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"Tell you what, Starlight-" your father's eyes twinkle down at you- "there's no better place in the galaxy to make a tough decision than on the back of a speeder bike, going faster than your mother would ever approve."

Great advice, Papa.

Too bad that advice is about to get you killed.

Though, you do have a slight suspicion that when he told you "fast", he never meant quite this fast.

But then again, knowing your dad, maybe he did.

"Oh-" you reach up, wiggling your goggles down into position- "blast it." Gritting your teeth tightly together, you accelerate the speeder bike, shooting over the dried desert landscape of Arvala-7.

The cool evening air prickles the exposed parts of your face like a thousand sharp needles sinking into your skin, but the discomfort doesn't distract you. You stare straight ahead, focused only on the tangled thoughts rolling back and forth in your brain in a jumbled, glued-together mess.

"Running away? You're good at that."

Faster. Faster.

If you could just go faster, maybe the voices would fall behind, leave you alone.

You lean forward on the accelerator, pushing the speeder bike to its absolute limits. The old bike begins to vibrate under your body, rattling as if threatening to blow apart in a thousand pieces. If you were still that adrenaline-seeking teenager, you might would take that as a challenge.

But hey, you've cheated death this long. It'd be a shame to lose the game at this point...

That and Cara's the last person you'd want to upset if you destroy her bike.

You notice a cliff-wall looming in the horizon, rapidly approaching at the speed with which you are traveling. With a sharp hiss, you slam on the brakes, bracing, squeezing your eyes tightly together as you spin around in tight circles.

One...

Two...

Three...

Four spins.

You stop.

You don't fight the grin that stretches across your face.

"Banthaspit! Hell yeah." You peel the goggles off your face, harshly rubbing your eyes with a dust-encrusted hand. "If I wasn't forced into hiding, the Keolith racing circuit wouldn't know what hit it!" you snort.

With a sigh, you kick one leg over the speeder bike, positioning your body sideways on the seat. You force yourself to slowly exhale, shivering as all of the tension pent up within you tiptoes its way up your spine, releasing out into the fresh open air.