Chapter 10 (Part 1): "You Weren't Alone"

If Grandpa was alive to see this mess, he'd roll over and die again.

No.

No-

He'd find Thall.

Kill him.

Then die again.

"Stars," you groan, leaning both palms on either side of the sink. Lifting your head, you glare at the face staring back at you from the refresher mirror.

Your face... it feels like it's all you recognize of yourself these days...

You grit your teeth as shame weighs your eyes low, down your bare body, down to the speckled floor beneath your toes. You wiggle them to ground yourself- to reign in the disgrace squeezing at your chest.

...Dank Ferrik.

You press your eyes against the voice pushing, pushing at your consciousness.

...

I told you so...

I know, Grandpa.

I told you Thall was sketchy.

I know! Maker! Do you have to rub it in, Gramps?

Just wanted to point it out. And don't call me Gramps. Makes me feel ancient.

Kark off. You're dead.

...

I love you, Grandpa.

....

Kriff.

No one warned you that the worst part of growing up would be the realization your family was blasted correct about a lot of blasted things.

Hissing through your teeth, you fling your hand through the current of water flowing from the faucet, the droplets glittering across the reflected crown of your head.

Oh, fine. Fine!

You twist away- hand snapping up your shirt from the floor.

You're used to everything going wrong. What's new?

Another day, another "you'll maybe possibly probably die." Only this time, everyone's survival rests upon you.

Big karkin' yay.

If you survive this, you're writing a book.

"Thall, how about you just kiss my- erf!-" the collar of your shirt catches your nose- "kiss my butt!" You yank on the edge of the hem until your head pops free.