1: scared cupcake

"That's what, a three-story fall to the deck?" 

Hearing voices I glance up seeing Pope holding a nail gun as he yells out to John B who currently was dangling his foot off the roof of the abandoned house we'd decided to sneak into purely for the thrill of it - after some slight begging from JJ and I. 

"I give you about a one-in-three chance of survival" John B simply smirks holding out his beer and staring off into the horizon.

I twirled my hair around my finger smiling and listening to the boy's stupid conversation. I was content in this very moment sat up on some random scaffolding with my legs dangling down, a beer in hand, and relaxing with my best friends. I thanked my past self for choosing to wear nothing but jean shorts and a bikini top as although the sun was setting the heat was very much still present.

I couldn't seem to tear my eyes away from the breathtaking sunset as I felt my hair flowing in the wind behind me. This was purely what summer in the Outerbanks was all about. It's what made me fall in love with the island. 

"Should I do it?" broke me out of my trance.

"Yeah, jump. I'll shoot you on the way down" Pope aims the nail gun right at the boy hovering on the roof. If we ended today with no injuries that would be a massive win in my book. 

"They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers" Kie bursts out of the house effectively ending the boy's conversations. 

"What a bunch of assholes" I roll my eyes having the same distaste for the kooks just as any other pogue would. 

 "This used to be a turtle habitat, but who cares about the turtles, I guess?" Kie complains while I shrug my shoulders. She looks around at the house and John B on the roof sparks her interest, "God can you please not kill yourself?" she points to John B with a distasteful look on her face. 

"Don't spill that beer" I heard JJ yell from down below her, "I'm not giving you another one" he sends him a final warning right as I saw a beer can fall down from the roof. 

"Smooth" I snicker shaking my head. 

"Of course, you did" JJ voices at the same time as me. 

"Dumbass" I heard Kie mumble but mostly to herself. 

"Hey! Hey, uh, security's here" Pope yells which catches pretty much of all of our attention. I couldn't help the smirk forming on my lips, I was ready for the real fun to begin. 

"Let's wrap it up" Pope sounded more eager this time for us to get a move on and hopefully avoid any trespassing charges. 

"Boys are early today," John B says whilist I pull myself up from my seat and start moving down the scaffolding with only a little bit of difficulty. I hear the security guards yelling at us from a distance but I knew they were quickly catching up to us.

Spotting my friends in the foyer of the half-built house we began sprinting through the empty house. "Gary is that you" JJ taunts the guard who was chasing us. I was practically giggling the whole time secretly loving the thrill as I hear the boys letting out loud whoops whilist running. 

I turn my head and spot JJ swiftly avoiding the hands of a security guard he almost ran into, "Not much of a hugger!" 

I follow JJ's lead and hop over the relatively tall iron fence before running closer to the van. Hearing Pope whimper I turn my head and see him struggling to pull himself over but within seconds he'd successfully made it over.