IV. Maze

IV. It was dark when you gained back consciousness. You were laying on the soft mattress of a king size bed, covered in warm silky seats. You sat up trying to find a lantern or a candle to see where you were. Or better yet, where he had taken you...

'You're finally awake. I was starting to get worried.' The male voice was coming from the distance. At once, lights lit up at either side of the bed. You could see him now, sitting at a velvet-covered armchair at the far left corner of the room, legs spread, one arm resting on the chair to support his head. He had thrown a black coat with yellow accents over his shoulders to cover up his exposed pale upper body.

The room itself was spacious, occupied by a single bed, a wide closet and the armchair, whose dark plum color matched the thick curtains which blocked all light from entering the room, making it impossible to tell if it was night or day.

When realization hit you, cold sweat started running down your temples. You checked yourself, all your clothes were untouched, wearing exactly what you did when entering. You were more surprised to find that he had tucked you in the expensive covers with your dirty, raggedy clothes more than anything.

'Pff. You insult me', he scuffed ironically upon realizing what you were doing. 'You're always free to leave... but I wouldn't recommend it. You've got a nasty wound on your right leg.'

You threw away the warm sheets to find your leg covered with bandages from your knee tying all the way down to your heel. In the midst of the rush and the exhaustion you probably hadn't realized how severe your wounds had been.

' Did you... Clean this up for me?', you asked at the unexpected gesture.

'I used the same method my mother taught me. She was a doctor.'

The son of Dracula had just tended to your wound and invited you to stay at his castle to recover. They weren't joking around when they said myth strays from reality.

'I- Thank you.', you said, starting to feel ashamed of your previous behavior.

He nodded.

'I wouldn't walk around too much if I were you. My mother was a great doctor but it seems her medical expertise didn't exactly get inherited to me'. He got up. 'You need to rest. If you need anything just shout, I'll hear'.

The lights turned off as magically as they had lit up and the blonde man exited, the door shutting behind him.

He had watched you sleep. The moment you set foot in there he couldn't take your eyes off of you. Watching you. Like a predator? No, he was studying you. Observing your every angle.

You tried to get back to sleep but every time you'd close your eyes all those horrendous images popped up. You twisted and turned in your bed, which cracked under your more abrupt movements. Convinced that sleep wasn't in the books for you, you carefully got up, minding your wounded leg. It didn't hurt at all, rather it felt numb probably from the treatment provided by... Alucard.

You began exploring your room. Your first instinct was to search for a source of light, however, the moment your feet hit the floor the same lights Alucard had lit turned back on. Witchcraft. But then again, you were in Dracula's moving castle, so magic lanterns were probably the least frightening thing. All the things hidden in here. But you made a promise to yourself to not snoop around. You've already offended your host in more ways than one.

With that you could finally see the entirety of the room and not just the single aspect of it you had previously experienced. The high walls were painted in a melancholic cerulean hue, while a heavy purple curtain covered one of them almost entirely. You moved towards it, holding onto the wall as you hopped on a single leg as to not further damage your healing one. You pulled the thick fabric back to a midnight landscape spreading under you from within the large window. You must have been at least 100 feet off the ground. The view was breathtaking. The forest slept soundly, the lullaby of nocturnal life putting it at ease as it prepared for the morning. It all seemed so peaceful from up above...