────── twenty

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

═══ THE SEED OF DOUBT ═══

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

AT SUNDOWN THE SAME DAY, Akiko found herself pacing in front of Musashi Shrine. Midnight was drawing ever nearer and there was no stopping it. Meddling with time, even if she possessed such a power, lead to more trouble than it could fix. Turning it back or speeding it up wouldn't have changed anything besides making a big mess.

"Calm down, Akiko," scoffed Baji, who leaned against a tree and had been watching the brunette for the past five minutes. "If Mikey called for a meeting, he must have some sort of plan."

On the other hand, Chifuyu stood with his arms crossed over his chest, his worries forged a crease between his eyebrows, and his whole body was tense. Call it a bad premonition, he couldn't shake the feeling that something bad would happen at midnight. Not only would it mean a fight against Pandemonium's forces, but it also meant Akiko was in grave danger. Whatever Hoshino Ken had planned, neither Akiko nor Toman would get away unscathed.

"Something feels off," admitted Akiko, chewing on her lip. Momentarily, her pacing stopped as she elaborated. "Ken usually has a plan, but he never tells them to anyone. He's a big fan of keeping things to himself and enjoying the surprised responses when he finally reveals them. Why would he inform us about a fight instead of using the element of surprise to his advantage? It doesn't add up. There's something happening behind the scenes. Something we won't be prepared for. And I'm afraid to find out what it is."

So he wasn't imagining it. Chifuyu wasn't the only one with a bad premonition. He huffed angrily and turned toward Musashi Shrine, the steps still empty, waiting for Mikey and Draken to occupy them. Most of Toman had already arrived, scattered across the place, talking amongst each other. Pandemonium was the subject of most conversations that night. Everyone had a vage understanding of the situation, but the details were kept between the executives.

What piqued everyone's interest was the revving of countless engines, followed by footsteps approaching Musashi Shrine. Hundreds of eyes were watching the steps leading up to the Shrine and the whispers died down the moment four figures appeared in sight: Mikey, Draken, Shinichiro and a blond boy with a burn mark on his face.

Akiko wasn't just surprised at Shinichiro's presence, but even more so at the uniform he was wearing. Never had she seen him in a black coat. A white dragon with the letters B and D embedded into it adorned the back, visible as he turned toward a crowd of people behind them.

"Are those the Black Dragons?" questioned Chifuyu, taken aback by the unexpected visit. "What are they doing here?"

"The better question is," retorted Baji with squinted eyes, pushed off the tree and stepped closer, "what is Shinichiro doing with them?"

Toman moved aside, creating a path in the middle through which Mikey, Draken, Shinichiro and the blond boy walked toward the front to face both groups. The Black Dragons stayed in the back.

"That's Inui Seishu," Chifuyu whispered into Akiko's ear as he noticed her curious look. "Former president of the tenth generation of Black Dragons, then vice-president of the eleventh generation under the mad giant Shiba Taiju, and now the acting leader."