6. I Was Wrong

The next day, I went to school and the day was pretty slow. Rafe and I avoided each other throughout class, and when it was time for lunch, I sat alone as usual.

  "Hey, filth face!" A most familiar voice yelled. It was Monica. I suddenly felt cold water pour onto me and I stood up in shock. "That's what you get you bitch!" She yelled at me.

  "Monica, what the fuck!" Tyler ran over from behind her.

  "That's what you get you boyfriend stealing bitch!" She announced in front of everyone.

I was humiliated, and wet.

I quickly escaped the scene through everyone's stares and gazes and went to the bathroom.

I was able to dry myself a little before getting back out. Tyler was standing outside by the wall.

  "All better." I awkwardly giggled at him. He laughed and walked back to class with me. Stuff was always light hearted with him around, and that was nice. Most importantly, I didn't really care about what people thought of me, so that little stunt didn't really bother me. I just felt a little humiliated in there. She used to be my best friend. I sometimes wonder if it was just a distant dream.

  We went to class and everyone was there but Rafe. He came in the middle of class and got scolded, but of course, he couldn't care less.

  "She won't bother you again." He calmly whispered as he sat down. I looked at him, confused.

  "What did you do?" I asked in horror with growing realization.

  "What's with that expression?" He asked me in shock. I kept the same exact horrified look. He sighed. "Alice, I just told the principal." He said, as if it was the most logical thing in the world. The problem is— it was. I mentally face palmed myself.

  "Well, why did you help me?" I asked him.

  "As I said rat, I just don't like sharing my toys." He said with a smirk. I frowned then looked back in front of me.

  The day came to an end and it was time to go and see the movie with Tyler.

  "You ready?" Tyler walked up to me. Rafe looked at me and raised an eyebrow. I ignored him and went with Tyler to the movie. Rafe glared at us on our way out.

  We saw a romantic comedy together and had a great time overall. He didn't attempt anything funny, and I didn't feel awkward for a second. We talked and laughed and he bought me some ice cream before walking me back home. I thanked him and gave him a hug like last time before heading back in.

  I didn't feel anything romantic for him though, and I wished I wasn't giving him the wrong idea. But I knew I was. Maybe I should throw in a subtle hint the next time I see him. I sighed but still felt happy about the night. I hope I can have him as a best friend, that's how I truly feel about him.

I strode upstairs to my room and opened the door.

  "Alice?" Someone said.

  "Rafe?" I yelled in shock. I put my hand over my mouth at how hard he frightened me. He was sitting on my bed and looking at me annoyedly. I really should fix my damn windows.

"You can't still be that surprised." He said and rolled his eyes.

  "What are you doing here?" I asked with exaggerated movements.

  "What were you doing with Tyler?" He asked me accusingly.

  "Wait! what? Why are you even asking that!" I asked, my voice getting louder by the second.

  "You don't like him, do you?" He asked in a mocking tone and got up and walked towards me.

  "Rafe, you don't actually own me!" I yelled at him. It was a dumb move. I felt the air get knocked out of me as his fist made contact with my stomach.

  "Shut up! Just shut up!" He screamed at the top of his lungs. "You are mine! you hear that!" He yelled with a scratchy voice. "Mine!" He repeated as he looked at me while I lied on the floor in pain. I looked at him in fury and disgust. He saw my expression and his eyes softened. His expression changed to one of guilt. "I-I'm sorry. I don't want to be like this. I-I swear." He stuttered as his eyes teared up. He walked closer to me and I slowly moved away. He looked at me through his tears and I heard a single sob before he left through the window.

  I went to bed in pain that night. I woke up the next day with a giant bruise on my stomach. Still in pain, I changed into a big hoodie and jeans for school. I arrived to class, and as always, Rafe and I were the first people there. I should really stop coming this early, but part of me knew I was curious to see what Rafe is up to. I sat down and didn't spare him a glance. I bent down to grab my book from my bag but heard him place something on my desk. I looked back up.

  Arnica for bruises, inflammation, and swelling.

  He stole a glance my way and quickly looked back down and fidgeted with his hand.

  "I'm not feeling bad, if that's what you're wondering." He murmured.

  "Good to know." I said in a monotone.

  "I just need my toy in good shape to play with." He said with a small smile forming. Part of me thought that this maybe wasn't the case and I looked at him questioningly. "You're an idiot." He scoffed as he noticed my look. He then got up and left the room. I sighed and raised my hoodie; Unfortunately though, Tyler entered.

  "Alice what happened!" He yelled in concern.

  "Oh, don't worry it's nothing!" I said after quickly applying some of the ointment. "I'm just a little clumsy." I said and put my hoodie down in a hurry.

  Rafe walked in.

  "Are you sure you're okay? You've been getting hurt quite a lot lately." Tyler pointed out.

  "She said it's nothing. Get your nose out of her business." Rafe blurted at him.

  "I'm getting tired of you." Tyler threatened. Rafe aimed a devilish look at Tyler. Rafe reached inside his jacket and I realized what he was up to. I ran at him and acted like I was giving him a hug. I wrapped my arms around his neck and tip toed up to his ear.

  "You'll get in trouble!" I whispered. I let go, and lowered back to the floor. But Rafe didn't let go. His arms both started to wrap around my waist. I could feel an exchange of looks happen between Tyler and Rafe but I couldn't see it as Rafe held me tight with my face in his chest. My heart was beating out of my chest and my face was flushed. I heard Tyler walk out then Rafe finally let me loose. I gulped and stood back in shock. I took a deep breath and went back to normal.

  "Rafe what was that! He'll get the wrong idea!" I yelled in frustration.

  "Let him." He replied coldly and sat back down with a smirk. I let out a frustrated breath and sat down. I then remembered, I wanted to check his arm. Part of me despised him; yet part of me felt a responsibility towards him after what I learned happened. Maybe I was trying to play the good guy, but what terrified me was that I knew that part of me actually cared.

  I hastily got a hold of his arm and pushed back his sleeve. He looked at me in surprise as I inspected his arm. There were many more scratch marks there, but what caught my attention were the bruises scattered all over it.