7. The Alley

"Rat, know your place!" He hissed at me and pulled his arm back. Bruises? That was weird.

"Well, if that's how you treat me I'm going to check up on Tyler!" I said with an attitude, just to annoy him. As i got ready to get up, he harshly grabbed my arm.

"Excuse me?" He asked with warning.

"What?" I spouted out.

"I didn't say you could." He replied with a glare.

"Why not?" I asked innocently.

"Because I said so!" He yelled. I couldn't help but smile. It was childish, but my plan worked. "What's so funny?" He asked in frantic confusion and his grip tightened. I yelped as his grip got a little too tight. Surprised, he let go of my arm. Students came in and class began.

Was I going nuts? This guy was possessive, unstable, violent, and aggressive.  I shouldn't be messing with him like this, but part of me somehow enjoyed seeing this human side of his. It rarely came out, and it was so conflicted; but I was happy when it did. He's went through a lot, and I could never imagine it. Could I really actually help him?

Classes were over and I went to lunch alone as always. The rest of the day went by and it was time for us to leave. Since I was having an unexplained urge of "mess with the psycho bully spree" I decided to do something horrendous.

I decided that I was going to follow Rafe today after school. I was just too curious about him, and I seriously do think he's starting to open up.

Rafe got his bag, and walked out before I did. I took my bag as well, and walked behind him with a safe distance between us. While I walked behind him through the halls, no one bothered him, and he didn't bother anyone. It was as if he was invisible. He walked out of school with me still behind him. I made sure to stay well out of sight. We walked to a sketchy part of town with many alleyways, liquor stores, and pubs. My legs started to hurt from all the walking, but curiosity won me over.

It was getting dark and gloomy and I accidentally tripped over a soda can. Rafe bolted around but I quickly hid behind a corner. There were a few people around, so he probably thought it could be anyone passing by. Thankfully, he started walking again. He turned and walked into an alley and I waited a few seconds before taking that same turn. As i stepped out from behind the wall, Rafe stood there with crossed arms.

"What do you think you're doing rat." He questioned and grabbed my arm tightly.

"N-nothing I was just-" slap.

I didn't finish my incoherent sentence and he didn't hesitate to give me a harsh slap against my cheek. It wasn't the first time he slapped me, and I don't know why, but this time it really hurt me. It hurt me emotionally more than physically. I actually thought I was getting somewhere with him. I teared up as I looked up at Rafe. He looked back at me with a frown.

"I shouldn't have tried! You suck!" I yelled before running away from him. I ran through the mostly empty streets with tears streaming down my face. When my legs finally had enough, I stopped to catch my breath. I knew it. I wasn't being kind, I was being dumb. I just had to act like the hero, didn't I? I sobbed and put my face in my hands.

"What do we have here? Rafe's pet?" A guy with a rough voice said. I looked up. He was around our age with outgrown hair and bangs. the guy walked closer to me and leaned down to my face. He wore oversized black clothing and was smoking a cigarette. He huffed out some smoke in my face and smirked. He quickly took a hold of my arm. I looked at him in shock but it only took me a moment to kick him in the groin. He grunted and let go of me.

"Freak!" I yelled as I ran away as fast as I could.

"You'll pay for this! You and Rafe!" He yelled from behind me.

I ran away far enough from him, then ended up taking an uber back home. I walked up to my room and saw another arnica bottle for bruises. He thought that's what it took? Ointment? I looked at it, infuriated. I threw it in the bin. I went to bed and slept like a baby. The next day, I woke up with a slight bruise on my face from his slap. I wasn't that good at applying make up, and I don't even think I had foundation. So, I just tried to keep my hair in front of my face. I put on a hoodie and sweatpants and let my messy hair fall down my face.

I arrived at school and sat next to Rafe without looking at him. We were both early as always.

"Rat." He called me quietly. I didn't respond. He let out a long sigh. "Alice." He called me with my name. I finally looked at him, and he had a huge bruise on his cheek.

"Rafe what the hell!" I yelled at him.

"Now we're even." He guiltily told me.

"What the hell Rafe, you shouldn't do this to yourself!" I scolded him.

"Look at my rat, all worried about me." He chuckled.

"This isn't funny Rafe!" I frantically pointed out. He looked at me with a genuine smile. I stopped right in my tracks and my heart melted at seeing him smile like that. I moved my hand to his cheek and traced the bruise. His lips parted and he stared at me intensely. People walked in and we snapped out of it.

Around lunch time, I got up to leave but Tyler came my way.

"Hey Tyler!" I said as he came. Rafe was still there, watching.

"Hey Ally." He said, surprising me with a nickname. He surprised me even more when he scooped me into a hug. I smiled as he squeezed me tight and the scent of his cologne filled my nose. "Wanna go out somewhere today?" He asked me and let go.

"Sure!" I instantly replied.

"I'll pass by at 6 then." He said with a smile. I nodded and with that he slowly left after glancing at me a few times.

"Don't go with him." Rafe calmly said, yet he had a dark tone.

"Why?" I asked.

"Just don't." He said with the same tone.

"You don't get to decide that Rafe." I said.

"Don't anger me Alice!" He yelled this time.

"Well you anger me!" I yelled back. He raised his arm and I shrieked. He quickly pulled his arm back and looked at my frightened expression.

"I-I'm sorry Alice." He said and his voice broke. "I swear I don't mean it." He said and a few tears fell from his eyes.

"Rafe." I sighed and moved closer. I slowly managed to wrap my arms around him and he didn't protest. He just placed his face at the crook of my neck and let all his tears out.

"I'm sorry Alice. Sorry." He sobbed. I didn't answer and instead placed a hand on his head and stroked his hair.

"Can you not see Tyler tonight?" He asked, still in my arms.

"Alright, but why?" I softly asked.

"I just want to show you something."