9. You Stayed

I woke up the next day with Rafe nowhere to be seen. I got up, stretched, and went to his room. It was the weekend so I took my time. He grabbed his keys and looked over to me.

"I'm heading out." he said and walked right past me. I looked at him as he went downstairs and ran to my room and got changed in a flash. I then ran past Winston and out the gate. I saw Rafe turn a corner and I followed. I saw him follow someone. It was a girl. Rafe kept a distance from her, and I kept a distance from him. The girl turned to cross the street and I was able to get a glimpse of her face. It was familiar. I got a flashback of the article I read and my heart almost stopped in realization. It was Nora, his sister. She stopped a cab and got in. I saw him walk some more and I followed him. He then walked into a narrow alley and I saw him slump down to the floor and let out a high pitched scream. Alarmed, I ran towards him. He got out his blade and started cutting himself frantically.

"Rafe!" I yelled as I reached him and threw the bloody blade out of his hand. He had tears in his eyes and his arm was bloody.

"I don't feel good." He weakly sobbed.

"D-don't worry Rafe. You'll be okay!" I said with tears forming. I quickly dialed for an ambulance and kept shaking him until they arrived. "Keep your eyes open Rafe!" I yelled as the ambulance arrived. Men came out and I heard many instructions being yelled as they placed him inside. I hopped in the back with him and they drove us to the hospital as a nurse hooked up some blood bags. He was moved to the emergency room and I waited outside, crying. I didn't want to lose anyone else like this. It was all too familiar. A doctor then finally walked out of Rafe's room.

"How is he!" I asked and jolted out of my seat.

"He's alright. He might need to stay here for a while, but you may go check up on him." He said and gave me a polite smile. I thanked him and flew over to his room. He was asleep with many needles in his arm. It broke my heart seeing him like this. I then slowly sat down next to him. I held his hand tightly and gawked at his sleeping figure. I was grateful that he's okay, I was so happy I cried. Hours passed and I stayed there unmoving. I suddenly felt my hand being squeezed. In shock, I jumped off the bed.

"Rafe!" I yelled with tears.

"Alice? I'm okay?" He asked. I nodded with a big smile.

"You're okay." I answered.

"Someone sure was worried." He laughed. It wasn't his usual high pitched laugh. It was a beautiful melodic laugh. I stared in awe. He noticed and laughed again as I felt my face turn a deep shade of red. I then pulled my hand back again and his face fell.

"I-I'll go get something to eat." I said and left without looking back. Saying I was flustered was an understatement. I reached the cafeteria and someone stopped me right in my tracks.

"Hi there pet." The guy in front of me said. It was the guy from back in the alley.

"What are you doing here." I spat in disgust.

"Don't make a scene honey." He taunted. He towered over me and wore all black oversized clothing.

"We're in public, so you don't scare me." I bravely stated.

"Not you pet, but what about Rafe. All helpless in a hospital bed." He smirked. I glared at him and didn't find anything to say. *Damn it Rafe.* "Follow me pet, that is, if you don't want Rafe to get hurt." He said and walked past me. I simply didn't have a choice. I huffed and walked behind him. I followed him out of the hospital. We silently walked through many streets and reached an empty one with a white van and guys surrounding it.

"What do we have here Mason?" Another guy near the van asked.

"In the van." He gestured to the men. I was shoved and pushed into the back of the van and I yelled out but no one heard me.

"Now what do we owe the pleasure?" A guy said as he closed the back of the van.

"She's Rafe's." Mason grimly said. Silence pervaded and everyone looked shocked.

"Are you crazy! Drive!" One of them yelled out. Mason grunted and started the van. No one dared approach me and I trembled with fear. What the heck have I gotten into! The van suddenly stopped and Mason grabbed me by the arm. He opened the door and dragged me out. The guys all looked alarmed and stood frozen.

"Back to Rafe. And stay!" He hissed in my ear. Without a second passing by, he went back into the van and closed the door. I heard many guys yelling and arguing as the van sped away from me. In shock, I looked around me and spotted a taxi. I quickly got in and went back to the hospital. I paid the driver and ran out of the car and inside the hospital. I hope Rafe is oka-

"What the fuck do you mean she isn't here!" I heard someone yell. It was Rafe. I ran to him and he was yelling in the lobby with nurses holding him back. He saw me and I ran up to him and squeezed him tight. He hugged me back and then suddenly held me away by the shoulders. "Where the hell were you!" He screamed in anger.

"I'll tell you when we're alone." I whispered. He pushed me by the shoulder in rage and left to his room. I ran after him and closed the door.

"Where the fuck were you Alice!" He screeched.

"Mason!" I blurted out. He looked at me furious and grabbed my wrist.

"What?" He asked, his voice getting lower. He squeezed my wrist tightly and I yelped in pain. He finally let go.

"What the hell Rafe!" I yelled and rubbed my wrist.

"You could've died." He grimly whispered. "Tell me every single detail." He demanded.

"A guy named Mason." I explained. I sat down and told him everything that happened. He was shocked the entire time. When I was done, he quickly pulled me into a hug and I felt hot tears on my shoulder.

"I'm so sorry Alice." He apologized. I didn't react, but then I looked up at his red eyes.

"Who is he, Rafe?" I asked.

"H-he was my best friend." He said.