10. Rivals

"I have a bad feeling he won't leave us alone Alice." He took a deep breath. "You'll stay next to me at at all fucking times! Got that!" He yelled. My breath hitched. He held my face and looked into my eyes. "Okay?" He asked less aggressively. I nodded. He sighed and let go of me. We both went quiet now.

"So, Rafe." I said. He looked back at me. " Why don't you like people calling you by your name?" I asked.

"I don't want to hear the last name my father screamed before he died." He said and looked at me with an eerie smile. The old Rafe was back. He finally let out his signature laugh and a doctor walked in and looked at me a little surprised.

"U-um you may be discharged now." The doctor awkwardly said. I thanked him and he quickly left.

"Come on rat. Let's get you home." He said and hopped off the bed. I followed him out of the hospital. We took a cab and arrived at the mansion. I'm sure he was sick of the hospital food so Winston made him some chicken alfredo pasta. After eating,  he said he was going to help me move. We called a moving team and we went to my house to pack up. While packing boxes of clothes and pictures, I noticed how easily he moved everything, he was muscular yes, but he was still stronger than you would expect.

"Hey Alice." He called from across my room.

"Yeah?" I answered.

"I'm sorry I hurt you." He randomly apologized .

I walked over to him and gave him a hug. I wrapped my arms around his waist and held him tight. "You must hate me." He said with a sad little laugh. "I made you leave your home. I made you faint- twice. I hurt you. I made you sleep at a hospital. You even almost got kidnapped twice now." He listed.

"Ra-" I stammered.

"You must hate me Alice." He whispered sadly.

"I don't. Rafe look at me." I demanded . He raised his head from off my shoulder. I tip toed and gave him a slow kiss on his head. His eyes widened and he quickly turned around.

"I-I'll go give them these box-es." He stuttered. I let out a giggle at his cute little reaction. A while later we were done and back at his mansion. He helped me unpack and was finally sitting next to me on the bed. It was a bit awkward after I had to snatch some privates from him every now and then as he helped me. He just loved to tease me, and it worked.

"Hey, Rafe. Can you promise me something?" I timidly asked.

"What is it rat?" He asked and rolled his eyes.

"C-can you not hurt yourself again?" I pleaded.

"I just can't help it ." He replied with a huff.

"Well can you try? Everytime you want to, just come see me." I offered. He kept silent. "I just don't want to see you like that again Rafe." I pleaded. He sighed and pulled me into his arms.

"Alright. I'll try." He said. "Hey rat, I need you to come help me with my homework." He then said.

"Sure." I answered and went to his room. I tutored him for hours and he became drowsy. He fell asleep and I put the chemistry book down. I put all the scattered books away off of his bed and went back to my room. I changed to some comfortable pajamas and went to sleep.

Thunder.

I jerked up from the noise and felt myself panic. I stood up and instinctively went over to Rafe half asleep. I slowly opened his door and went over to him. I sat on the small empty space and he groaned. He opened his eyes and saw me sitting at the edge of his bed.

"Alice!" He half yelled and sat up.

"C-can I sleep here tonight?" I asked like a child. He didn't answer and just scooted over. I lied down next to him and covered myself with the blanket. The storm went on for hours and every time there was thunder I would shudder. Rafe noticed and threw his arm around me.

"Shhh. It's fine, I'm here." He whispered drowsily before falling back to sleep. I clutched his shirt and went to sleep with my face buried in his chest. I felt cozy and safe in the arms of that psychotic lunatic.

I woke up the next day pretty early and decided to surprise both Rafe and Winston for breakfast. I struggled to get out of Rafe's grip and then I tip toed to the kitchen and got to cooking. I made some eggs, pancakes, bacon, roasted potatoes, and a fruit salad.

"Alice?" Rafe called out from the hallway.

"I'm in the kitchen!" I called back. He came in with Winston behind him. "I made breakfast today!" I giddily told them. Winston gave me a sweet smile.

"Thank you miss!" Winston said with a grin.

"Thanks." Rafe muttered with an awkward smile. Winston insisted to eat in the kitchen and Rafe and I ate at the dining table. I stared at his every bite to see if he liked it. He ate it normally, but noticed me gawking. He paused with his fork still in front if his lips. "It's nice, if that's what you're wondering." He said. I giggled and continued eating. He chuckled as well and proceeded to finish his food. When we were done, we went upstairs to change for school.

I wore a simple flowery dress with sneakers. I went downstairs to see Rafe. He wore a tight black shirt and jeans. I never saw him wear anything but hoodies so I was surprised. He noticed my expression and looked down at his clothes. His scratch marks were on full display. I now also noticed how toned and defined his muscles were. I gawked.

"Alice?" He said and snapped me out of it.

"You look good." I shyly said and grabbed my bag.

"Thanks pet." He said and grabbed his bag. I glared at him. He raised an eyebrow and walked past me and out the gate. With a frown, I followed him to school. We arrived and every single person was staring at him. He didn't spare anyone a glance and walked to class normally. We sat down with all eyes on us. I slipped down in my seat to avoid all the attention. Class then started with a ring of the bell and the teacher walked in.

"Good morning class!" The teacher said as he walked in. He got some murmured replies and stood at the board. "Please welcome your new student." He signaled for someone to walk in.

"Mason."