First Day

Forks, Washington. My last resort.

Moving to Forks wasn't really my choice, but rather my mom's. My parents had just gotten divorced and mom wanted to be near family, so she bought a house in the tiniest place you could imagine, her hometown. It didn't help that I was just starting my junior year here.

I was thinking about my new living situation when we drove past the welcome sign. I hadn't spoken much the entire trip, so my mother tried to start a conversation as we drove to our new home.

"Isn't it exciting, Y/N! We're starting over! You get to see your grandparents more, you'll have your own bathroom, and you even get to design your own room." she listed as I watched the houses we passed.

I looked over to her with a small smile on my face. "Yes it is." I answered before looking back out the window. I had to admit, this move wasn't all bad. I'll get to see my grandparents more, and make new friends. Or friends in general. I wasn't really the social type.

Another minute passed and we had arrived at our new home. It was a small house, yellow with a deck and a garden out front. I smiled at the thought of planting my own flowers there. Mom quickly parked the sedan and hopped out, I quickly followed.

"Well," she turned her head to me, placing her hands on her hips, "welcome home." I walked over and gave her a quick side hug. She handed me the keys before saying, "You go have a look around, I'll bring in our things. The moving truck won't be here until tomorrow, so we'll make do for the night." I quickly nodded before jogging to the front door and unlocking it before walking inside.

The house was only one story, but it had a basement. I walked slowly through the entryway and into the kitchen to my right. It seemed big enough for the two of us.

I then looked down the hallway that held two bedrooms and two bathrooms. I walked into the smaller bedroom that would be my room and imagined what I would do with it. Before I could decide much, I thought to walk back out of the hallway and into the living room. The living room and dining room were conjoined, but big enough to hold a decent sized couch and a medium table.

I smiled to myself and quickly jogged to my mother, who was struggling to bring in our suitcases. "Here, let me help." I said before taking my suitcase and a box. I brought the suitcase over to my room and set it down along with the box.

Mom was smart enough to bring air mattresses, so I took mine out of the box and brought hers over to her room. She was setting her luggage down when she turned to me, sighing. "Thanks, Y/N/N. Hey, since we don't have anything to set up today, what do you say to going down to the diner to get some food?"

I smiled back at her, "That sounds great mama." She came over to me and pulled me into a loving hug.

"Thank you for being such a trooper through all of this. I know it's been tough for you." She pulled back and took my face into her hands. I gave her a soft smile before speaking, "I'm hungry, let's get going." She laughed before pulling away completely, grabbing her keys, and walking out to the car, while I trailed behind her.

We pulled into the Carver Café, and walked inside. The waitress sat us down and handed us some menus. I already knew what I wanted-chicken tenders. It was my way of testing a restaurant's food. If their chicken tenders were crap, so was the rest of their food. I looked up to my mom to see her scanning the menu.

The waitress came back and asked us for our orders. "I'll have the garden salad with a water." Mom smiled while handing back the menu. I responded, "I'll get the chicken tenders with fries along with a lemonade." The waitress took my menu, "Sure thing, those'll be out soon" she said before walking away.

As soon as she left my mom turned to me. "What do you think of the house?" she asked. "I love it," I replied, "I haven't seen the basement yet, but from what I've seen, it's great." Mom seemed to breathe a sigh of relief at that. I knew how hard she was trying.

"Okay, we also need to talk about school," she added, "it starts in about a week. I'm not worried about your grades, but how do you feel about making friends?"

I knew I had trouble making friends, but I didn't want to tell my mom that. She'd just worry. "I'm sure I'll have no trouble," I smiled at her.

We then got and finished our meal before heading home. We set up our air mattresses and went to sleep. Today was long and tiring so it wasn't hard.

Hopefully Forks won't be as bad as I thought.

1 week later

We had mostly gotten settled in. I got my Volkswagen Beetle back from the moving trucks, along with our stuff. We just needed to add the finishing touches, decorations and such.

However, I'm as nervous as ever. Tomorrow is my first day, the first day, at my new school. I felt like I was gonna throw up. I feel like I changed my outfit twenty times already. I finally decided on a sage green tank top, a green flannel, ripped skinny jeans, and my black vans. It's nearly mid-September already so it's getting pretty chilly out. I got up and walked to the kitchen and got a cold glass of water before heading back to bed.

The next morning

I woke up to my alarm going off. Ugh, it's too early for this. I quickly got up, brushed my teeth, and put on the clothes I had chosen the night before. I walked into my bathroom and did my hair, and finished off the look with a bit of mascara. It is 7:15 now and school starts at 7:30.

I was on my way out the door when I saw a brown paper bag on the counter with my name on it. I smiled to myself. Mom must have made it for me before she went into work. She worked as a record keeper for the logging company on the tribe reservation near here. I quickly grabbed the bag, put it into my backpack from next to the door, put it on my shoulder and rushed out to my car. I put my stuff onto the passenger seat and drove to school.

I parked and got out after grabbing my stuff. Walking into the school, I got many stares. I take it this town doesn't get many new people. I walked into my first class of the day, English, just before the bell rang. Because it's the first day of school I took a random seat.

The English teacher began the lesson, "Hello, Juniors! Welcome to English! First and foremost, I want to welcome a new student to the school, Y/N. Y/N, why don't you come up and introduce yourself?"

I internally screamed before walking to the front of the class, "Hi, I'm Y/N. I'm 17, I moved here with my mom, and it's nice to meet you all." I said with a quick smile at the end before returning to my seat. "Alright, class, today is Wednesday, September 12th..." the teacher then continued her lesson. This is gonna be a long day.

Hours passed and it was, thankfully, time for lunch. I'm starving. But now comes the question of where to sit. I looked around the crowded lunchroom and had no idea. Finally, I noticed an older looking white guy waving me down. Anywhere's better than nowhere.

I walked over and sat in the only empty chair at the table, that just so happened to be next to the guy who waved me over. Most of the table started at me, except for a couple who were seemingly engrossed in their own conversation. The boy then started a conversation with me.

"Hey, I'm Mike, you must be the new student, Y/N, right?" He asked.
I nodded, "That's me."
"Nice to meet you." He stuck out his hand, and I quickly shook it before looking around at the rest of the table.
The rest of the table introduced themselves as Jessica, Angela, and Eric. By the time we landed on the couple, it looked like they were done with whatever they were talking about.
"Hi, um, I'm Bella. This is Edward." The girl quickly informed me. I nodded at them.

The table seemed to continue whatever conversation they were having before I arrived. Great, I made some friends I guess. I then felt a hand on my chair. I looked over to see it was Mike's. He looked at me and winked before returning to the conversation. Ew, gross. I heard someone stifle a laugh, and turned to see Edward cough a couple times before clearing his chest. "Sorry, allergies," he explained quietly. I nodded in understanding. The rest of the day went quietly.

I returned home and my mom was still at work, which I was grateful for. I didn't wanna talk, I was exhausted.