Here

Bella and Edward were gone for a couple days the next week. When I mentioned this to Jake, he seemed to tense up. "What's wrong?" I asked him. "What if he turns her? I can't lose my best friend." Jake responded, a worried look growing on his face. A hint of jealousy started to grow inside me but I quickly pushed it down. I rubbed his back and he laid his head in my lap. I started playing with his hair until he fell asleep.

He looked so innocent when he was asleep. Calm. I wish he didn't have so much stress. Before I knew it, I had fallen asleep too. When I woke up, I was in my bed, Jacob's sweatshirt acting as a blanket. I smiled to myself, knowing he didn't need a sweatshirt and only kept it with him for me. I picked up the sweatshirt and put it on, breathing in his scent and fell back asleep with ease.

Jacob drove me to school the next morning on his bike. It was somewhat rainy out but I enjoyed the ride anyway. Right after we pulled into the parking lot, Jacob and I both saw Bella and Edward pull in as well. I saw Jacob freeze once more. Now was the time he would usually leave after giving me a kiss, but this was his first time seeing Bella in a while. I guess he wanted to see if she was still human.

Both Edward and Bella approached us, but I wanted no part in this fight, so I gave Jacob a kiss and left. Well, I tried to. I watched from the top of the stairs as Jake met the pair halfway. Jacob looked as if he was arguing with Edward and Bella looked shocked at what he was saying. Then Bella looked like she was lecturing Jake, probably about him avoiding her. Bella then climbed onto the back of his bike and Jake smiled.

I felt my stomach drop. There she was. My boyfriend's best friend turned crush turned back to best friend holding onto his waist as they drove away. I tried not to let it affect me, but it did. I felt tears well into my eyes as I tried to bite them back. I didn't even notice Edward walking towards me, a comforting expression on his face. He squeezed my shoulder and walked into the school.

I closed my eyes and swallowed the lump in my throat before doing the same. I passed the day in a trance, only speaking when spoken to, staring off into space, thinking of what Bella and Jacob may be doing. I know he would never cheat on me, but there was a little voice in the back of my mind saying what if.

I sat at lunch with Angela and the rest when Edward sat in the chair next to me. I knew he could hear my thoughts, so I tried to empty my mind, but it was impossible. I looked at him and gave him a small smile of apology, and he nodded back, knowing that I couldn't control it.

Alice and Jasper soon joined us, Jasper looking at me with worry, though I didn't know why. I saw him whispering to Alice and she took on the same look. I looked down at my hands in embarrassment. I wasn't used to having so many eyes on me, let alone Vampire eyes. This thought made Edward let out a short quiet laugh.

I didn't care though. All I could think about was Jacob and Bella. The uneasiness of my stomach halted and a wave of calm rushed over me. I blinked at the sudden change in my emotion and shook my head. I looked to the Cullens to see Alice smiling at me and Jasper giving me a quick wink. Can he control emotions? I looked to Edward and he nodded, "And he can feel them too." he whispered only low enough for me to hear. I nodded before returning Alice's smile.

As soon as I left their presence, though, my anxiety and sadness returned. I went back to how I was before lunch. After the last bell rang, I picked up my stuff and trudged through the hallway. Not long after, Edward caught up to me, "Hey, Y/N." he said. "Hey." I nodded, giving him a tight smile. "Do you want me to give you a ride home? Since..." he trailed off. He didn't have to say what he was thinking. I nodded.

We walked out to his car and both got in. His car was nice, of course. I told him my address and he pulled out of the parking lot. The car ride was short and filled with comfortable silence. He parked in the street outside my house. "Thank you." I muttered. "Of course," he responded, "and if you ever need someone to talk to, know that my family is here for you." I smiled at him before leaving the car and entering my house.

I set my stuff down and walked to my bedroom, grabbing my CD player and my "Sad Vibes" mixtape. I walked into the bathroom and started a hot bath before stripping out of my clothes. I put my hair up and put the mixtape in and hit play. With the bathtub full, I sunk in and closed my eyes. I didn't think of anything. I just listened to the music and felt it. Landslide by Fleetwood Mac came on and I listened intently. As if every word was spoken directly to me.

I was in the tub for a few hours, until the water went cold and the tracks stopped. I got up and wrapped a towel around myself before walking into my room. I put on an oversized t-shirt I got from a thrift store and a pair of sweatpants. Once dressed, I walked into the kitchen to see a note from my mom, saying she was going on another work trip and she left money for me.

I left the note there before retreating to my room. I didn't have much of an appetite. I laid in bed, staring at the shadows on my walls in silence. I was hoping that maybe a friend would call and ask why I was acting differently today. Hoping that anyone would call.

Nobody did. I felt as insignificant as I did when I was younger. When my dad never saw me. When I had no friends. When I only had my mother. And now, she isn't here because of how hard she works, and I couldn't blame her for that. I've been so used to having Jacob at my side that I forgot what it was like without him.

That night, I felt completely and utterly alone.