Always

Over the next couple of weeks I had been working on myself. Finding out the stuff about myself that I didn't even know. I went through trial and error to see what I actually liked, and what I thought I liked.

This whole process was therapeutic, but nothing could numb the ache in my chest that the imprint was causing. If I was still in this much pain, I didn't want to imagine what Jake was going through. So I didn't. I did everything in my power to not remind myself of my soulmate.

I stopped going to the beach, I hid his clothes away in the bottom of my closet, I didn't talk to anyone on the reservation. But as much as I tried, I couldn't tear my thoughts away from him.

I would listen to a song only to want to show it to Jacob. I would see a trailer for a new movie, and immediately think of how I couldn't wait to see it with him, only to realize I wouldn't. This longing and wanting for him made me see how I truly couldn't live without him. I wouldn't.

I was thinking of a way to approach him, to talk to him about moving forward. I truly didn't know how. I sighed heavily before rubbing my face and going outside to get the mail. As I walked back to the house, I went through it. Bills, bills, junk mail, coupons. I stopped when I got to a white envelope addressed to me in calligraphy. I opened it carefully and took the paper out.

Isabella Marie Swan... Edward... Celebration of their marriage. I didn't bother reading the rest of the invitation before running inside, throwing the mail on the counter, grabbing my keys and running out to my car.

If I had gotten an invitation there was no doubt in my mind that Jacob had gotten one as well. I peeled out of my driveway and raced to Jacob's house. I turned the 15 minute drive into 10 with my driving and somewhere along the way it started to rain heavily.

I pulled onto the all-too-familiar property before parking my car and racing to the front door, pounding on it as hard as possible, hoping Jake was there. The door opened to a confused and surprised Billy.

"Is Jacob here?" I quickly asked, walking past him into the house and looking into the living room and kitchen. "In his room." Billy smiled in response. I nodded before going to Jake's room.

I didn't bother knocking, I just pushed the door open, accidentally slamming it. This gained the attention of a disheveled Jacob. He quickly sat up, "Y/-" Before he could finish I basically tackled him into a hug, which he quickly returned. I pulled away to look at him, but not out of his grasp.

His hair was a mess. There were dark bags under his dull eyes; his lips were dry and cracked. He seemed weak. I started tearing up at the sight of the boy I loved in such disarray, whether he deserved it or not.

I pulled him back into an even tighter hug and started to sob. I clutched at the shirt he was wearing, as if he would disappear if I hadn't. His grasp was firm around my waist and he dug his face into my neck, his tears joining mine.

After a while, we had both stopped crying. He pulled back to look at me this time. His coarse thumb wiped a rogue tear away from my face. He smiled gently. "You came back," he whispered, his eyes now full of love.

I leaned into his touch, placing my hand over his. "Always," I whispered back, "I will always come back to you." I leaned in and placed a soft kiss on his lips, making him smile harder. He pulled me back into a hug, laying us down.

We laid there for a while, wordless thoughts exchanged just through our gazes. After a bit, I spoke, "Just because I will come back doesn't mean you can hurt me again." His face broke into a pained expression. "Y/N, I know I told you this before, but I regretted it the moment it happened. I will never forgive myself for hurting you the way I did and for betraying your trust. You deserve the world, Y/N. I promise to give it to you, if you'll let me..."

I looked into his eyes and knew he was telling the truth.