chapter 3

We have walked around looking for a building to stay in at the worst time of the day: night. It is dark and hard to see. The moon gives us some light, but it is not full moon. Damien luckily finds a flashlight in a persons bag; yet, it seems to only illuminate a few feet in front of us. We haven't been attacked yet but we hear the infected close by. Every once in a while we hear the screams of people being killed for their food or worse, the infected get to them. By this time, my legs startbhurting and I start falling asleep. I trip over my own leg and fall to the soft, green grass.
"Kaylee, are you okay?" Damien ask. Rubble prances around.
"I'm fine, just let me rest here a bit," I respond already half asleep.
"I'll carry you until we find a building." I look up at him.
"No, you are already tired enough. You carrying me would make your feet hurt more and us go slower," I stand back on my feet.
"But for real I can..." He is interrupted by a high pitch scream. And it is nearby. Then the moans and snarls of the infected grow louder and more aggressive.
"I think it's time to run," I bolt down a pathway we have been following. Damien and Rubble are not far behind. The infected snarl behind us as we run. There is another scream in the distance. I stop and turn around. It sounds like it is close by. Maybe if I hurry I can save them. I bolt in the direction of the screams, which was right towards the infected.
"Kaylee!" Damien calls.
"I can save them, Damien!" I yell back as I run around the group of infected. Damien yells something else, but I can not hear him over the sound of the blood racing through my heart. I stop and listen for the screams. They are to the right of me. I sprint as fast as I can until I find a lady trapped in a tree that is surrounded by infected. The lady is holding a small child.
"Hey!" I scream. Some of the infected turn my way. I pull out my gun and shoot one bullet. That causes the rest of the infected to turn and face me. "Come and eat me, you slimy empty skin sacks!" They run towards me with such speed that I almost have to tuck and roll to dodge them. These infected are fast. I pull out my two favorite knives and start stabbing infected as I run. The infected are soon down to about three; however, these three were the fastest. For some reason, I feel like they are actually smart enough to not run head on with me. One of them goes behind me and lunges at me. I pull my arm back and stab it in the forehead. I pull my knife out and notice the other two are crouching side by side. I hear Damien yelling in the distance along with Rubble barking and the infected turn around. They rum off towards where Damien' voice was coming from.s
"Dang it Damien!" I run after the infected and manage to catch up to one of them. I swing my leg out and trip it. I step on its head, making sure to crush its brains in. I hear them close to me, which meant that the infected is ever so closer to Damien and Rubble. That is when I heard Damien yell.
"Damien!" I run as fast as I can to find Damien with a knife in the infecteds head.
"Is this what you went after?" Damien says, inspecting the infected closely.
"No, I found where the person was screaming from. If they didn't have a small child in their arms then I would have left them." I jog back to where the mother and the child are. I go to the base of the tree and hold my arms up.
"Here, hand me the child," I smile kindly. She hands me the child and jumps down. I move the blanket away from the child's head to reveal dead baby infected. It has been shot through the head.
"You need to get out of here," the mother whispers," they will take you, too, if you dont get out of here." I hand the dead infected back to the mother.
"Were those infected?" I ask.
"No, those were guys. They know that people will come and save a woman with her child."
"But it is okay. I already killed them all."
"No, there are more of them. There are more of them that come to take the person away," at that moment there were screams and whoops. "Go! Now! They are coming!" She yells. I instantly sprint towards where Damien is. He is still inspecting the infected. Rubble is now smelling it.
"Damien, we need to go now! That is not an infected!" I point at the person. Damien drops the person quickly and runs beside me. Rubble pants as he ran beside us.
"What happened?" Damien asks jogging beside me.
"It was a trap," I answer. Then I see a dark mass ahead of us. "There!" I point at a house just ahead of us. We run inside the building and slam the door behind us. Rubble lays down with his slobbery, wet tongue hanging out. Me and Damien slide down the back of the door. I lean my head back against the wall. I feel a hand rub on my neck. I glare over at Damien. He is not focused on me. He is focused on the cut on my neck.
"Why did you not let me help you?" He asks still focused on the cut. I push his hand away; however, he begins rubbing my cheek.
"Because you would have gotten in the way," I reply softly. "I didn't think you cared." It feels good when he rubs my neck and my cheek.
"I saved your life. You could have been tortured and used as a sex toy." He says. "I don't want to lose you." He began rubbing on my neck.
"I don't think they would do that. They would probably kill me and then take all my stuff." He stands up and holds out his hand. I take his hand and hop up.
"Let's go find a bed to sleep in," he smiles.
"You mean beds to sleep in, right?"
"No, I meant bed," he winks. He pulls me along and I snap for Rubble. He gets up and follows us. We walk into the main room and see tables and a bar. Damien let go of my hand and runs to the back of the bar.
"What are you looking for?" I ask.
"Sometimes there are is water back here," he pulls out a jar of water. "Here is a jar of water, do you want some first?" He asks. I take it and chug it down. I leave a microscopic amount for Damien. This water tastes really weird.
"Sorry, I was really thirsty," I giggle. Damien takes it from me and drinks the rest. He gives a weird look and then looks at me.
"That wasn't water," Damien says calmly, laughing.
"What was that?" I exclaim.
"Definitely not water," he smiles. What did I just drink?
"What could it have been?"
"Contaminated water, old wine, moonshine," he shrugs. I stick out my tongue.
"Damien, I feel funny," I giggle.
"Can you stand on one leg?" He asks. I attempt to do so; however, I nearly fall over.
"Nope," I giggle.
"I think that was moonshine," he laughs at me. "Let's go find a bed to sleep in," he smile.
"Yes," he takes my hand and pulls me along. Rubble follows us throughout the building. I am falling over my feet while we walked. Damien laughs and then he picks me back up. My vision is all wonky. He pushes open one of the doors; inside is a huge bed.
"I'm so sleepy," I stumble over to the bed and jump up on it, much like a child would on Christmas morning. It is so comfortable. I almost do not like it. I am so used to cheap beds. Damien laughs and shuts the door behind him. He set the bags by the door and puts a cabinet in front of the door. He walks over to the bed and pushes me off the bed. I flop on the ground and then spring back up. Damien is laying on the bed with his arms behind his head and his legs crossed. I peak over the bed. I squat down so I would have momentum and jump. Damien screams as I land on him. I growl at him and all he does is laugh.
"You're adorable now settle down and go to sleep," he commands. Rubble jumps up on the bed and lays down.
"No!" I argue," I'm not tired!" He grabs me and pulls me down.
"Lay down!" He retorts. I stand up and jump up and down. I manage to escape from his grasp and continue to jump on the bed. This time; however, he wraps his arms around my waist and holds me down.
"Awe," I whined.
"No, it is bed time." He pulls me close and holds me there. He is so warm and inviting. I cuddle up to him like I used to when I would have a nightmare when I was a kid. I inhale his scent and sigh. I feel so weird and am so sleepy that in a few minutes I fall asleep, even without my medicine.