chapter 13

My wonderland tears apart like a paper in a paper shredder. A woman is screaming. I shot straight up and open my eyes. It is still dark outside except for the moon. I shake Damien as hard as I can.
"Damien get up! I think Kayla is having the baby!" In a second he is sitting straight up. We both get up and run out into the courtyard. We dash into the hospital house to find quite a few people and by a few I mean a lot. Damien and I push our way though the tight crowd into the room where George, Elizabeth, Kayla, and Ethan are already preparing for the baby to pop out. How does a baby come out? My dad once tried to explain it to me, but I got annoyed and stopped listening to him. Kayla looks over at me and smiles.
"Hi Kaylee, long time no see." She smiles with a hurt expression in her eyes. Damien goes over by Elizabeth while George is down at the end of the bed and Ethan has a chair beside Kayla. I go to her side and hold out my hand. I smile at her, but she does not take my hand. "If I take your hand then I will squeeze it real tight. I don't want to hurt your hand."
"It's fine, Kayla. It is perfectly fine if you squeeze my hand. You are going through worse pain at the moment then my hand will feel from you squeezing it," I place her hand in my hand and she begins squeezing it as she grits her teeth from the pain. George comes up beside her and injects something into her skin.
"This will help with the pain."
"Just breathe, Kayla," Elizabeth calls calmly. She takes three deep breathes before squeezing my hand again. It is like a boa constrictor is tightening its grip around its poor, defenseless victim.
"Okay, you are good to push. You can push whenever you feel comfortable," George calls. She takes a deep breath as if she is going to dive into a pool, and is not going to come up for a while then she begins pushing. After about a minute of pushing, she gasps for air.
"Good. Only about two more pushes and your baby will be out," George smiles. She smiles in pain then takes another huge breath and dives back into the depths. She pushes with all her might. There is a soft crying. Kayla takes a deep breath then I look down towards where George is and see he is holding a baby. Kayla laughs softly and smiles. She loosens her death grip on my hand. George brings the baby to Kayla and she took it into her arms. The baby is covered in blood and liquid.
"It's a girl," George smiles. Ethan comes up behind Kayla and wraps his arm around Kayla's shoulder.
"What are you going to name her?" I ask. I have never seen a baby so small.
"Lily," Kayla replies. "Lily Rin." George hands Ethan the knife and he cut a cord. Elizabeth takes Lily and goes to take her to get her clean. I hug Kayla and congratulate her. After a few minutes, Elizabeth comes back with Lily all bundled up in a blanket. Kayla takes the baby back into her arms and smiles down at the tiny human. Damien lets a few people in at a time to come see the new baby. People awe then leave. After a while, George and Elizabeth usher everyone out so that Kayla can rest. The weird thing is that I did not see Cinna come visit Kaylee. The only people allowed in and out of the room are Ethan, George, Elizabeth, Damien, and me. Kayla cannot have more stress on her body. George and Elizabeth both clean everything up. George even says that she will be able to walk whenever she feels comfortable. I sit on a couch in front of Kayla's bed. Lily begins crying so Kayla tries rocking her and shushing her; however, nothing works. Then she moves her shirt and the baby attaches herself into her breast. Why is she letting the baby suck on her breast? George must have seen the disturbed look on my face because he begins laughing.
"What's so funny?" I ask.
"That's how Kayla feeds Lily. There is more than one way to feed a baby," he explains. Then he shakes his head. "Do you even know anything about babies and all that jazz?" I look away out the window at the rising sun.
"No, not really. I mean, I know a little, but my dad taught me the things I needed to live. Not some stupid, non-helpful information. He knew I probably wouldn't get to see any other living human being, but here I am," I laugh, feeling my eyes start to water. My dad taught me everything. My dad watched after me and picked me up when I got hurt. Although he did not teach me anything that I would not need for living during the zombie apocalypse, I still always wondered what it was like to see a living, breathing human being, how it was to interact with them, how to feel for someone other than my dad, and how to love.
"Okay, first, two people love each other a lot. Then they go into a bedroom and then..." Elizabeth softly hits his arm.
"George! Don't be talking to her about that! I'll explain it to her. She doesn't need a guy telling her all that stuff," she grabs my hand and pulls me out of the room. I glance over my shoulder and Damien looks at me. Help me, I mouth to Damien. All he does is shrug his shoulders and smiles. Elizabeth pulls me to a bedroom and sits me down on the bed.
"Why do you have to tell me? It's not very important," I shrug trying to get myself out of this meaningless lecture.
"Now, I am not here to lecture you. You need to know this stuff if you are going to be with Damien," I instantly stop trying to get out of this conversation. I became extremely alert. She laughs," that's better. Now, this is how you get pregnant..."
It takes forever for her to explain everything, and she does not just explain it briefly. She explained it in great detail. By the time she is done the sun is already above the horizon. I do not know that was how a person became pregnant. Is it possible that I could be pregnant? I do not want to say a single thing to Elizabeth about what Damien and I have done. It is okay, I will begin my period in a week or two and everything will be reassured, but what if I am? If I do not start my period I will confront Damien, maybe. He might leave me if he found out, but he is not that kind of person. There is no way I am pregnant. I am just not pregnant. I will see in about a week or two to prove my point. Elizabeth shakes my shoulders back and forth.
"Kaylee, are you okay? You look pale, are you feeling okay?" She runs her hand across my forehead. I push it away and utter I'm fine before leaving the room. I feel woozy and nauseous. I go across the courtyard to the house and then to Damien and I's room. I fall onto the bed and bundle up in blankets. I feel cold and sick to my stomach. I take a deep breath to keep anything from erupting out of my mouth. I hear someone coming down the hall. I cover my head with the blanket and roll over so I am laying on my side. I curl up in a ball. I feel a hand touch my shoulder.
"Kaylee, what's going on?" Damien asks in his sweet, tender voice.
"Nothing," I mutter. I do not have the guts to tell Damien that I could possibly be pregnant. No, I was not pregnant. Why did this keep crossing mind? There is no possible way I was pregnant.
"I know you are lying. Elizabeth came in to tell us that you were pale and stormed out of the room. Now tell me, what is going on?" I wrap the blankets tighter around myself.
"I am fine. Leave me alone." I hear Damien sigh then he pushes my shoulders against the bed. He moves the blankets away from my face so I was now looking him dead in the eyes.
"I know when something is the matter and I also know how to get it out of you," he begins kissing my neck.
"Damien stop!" I call sternly. He continues to kiss, bite, and suck on my neck. I push him off and bolt for the door. Tears are now cascading down my face. I run outside to one of the other buildings and hide in a closet. I hear Damien calling for me. I slide down the side of the closet wall and curl up in a ball to cry. My eyes sting and I can feel the saltiness of the tears stinging my cheeks. What was I going to do? I hear Damien's voice become louder then I hear a few other voices chime in. I sigh and take a deep breath. I try to make it so it does not look like I am crying. I come out of the closet I am hiding in and creep towards the door. I see them on the other side of the camp and then they enter a building. I make my way across the courtyard silently, then to the house. As I make my way upstairs I hear someone behind me. As quietly as I can, I get to the top of the stairs. At the last step, I step on it wrong and it creaks. I freeze but hear no one coming up after me. I sigh and get to Damien and I's door. I swing it open to find George and Elizabeth sitting on my bed. They both turn towards me. I shut the door back up and head down the hall. I hear them heading after me, but I do not try to pick up the pace. There is no point in running anymore. They always catch me. They both grab my wrist and pull me back to our room.
"What is going on?" Elizabeth asks. "First you push me away and now you are pushing Damien away. You hurt him a lot."
"It's nothing. I just don't feel good. I don't want Damien getting whatever I have," I lie. Maybe they would not catch that it isa lie, but I am very doubtful of it.
"You need to tell us what is really goin' on," George butts in. I cannot tell them. Not since I do not know if I am pregnant or not.
"I just don't feel good," I try again. Elizabeth puts the back of her hand up to my forehead.
"She is warm. Okay, lay down for a while. It might be from not getting to bed until late and then having to get up so early. Take a nap if you want and when you feel better come down and get some food," she smiles softly. She and George exit the room. I curl up into a ball with the blankets. I close my eyes and let myself drift to sleep.
I open my eyes to find myself in a forest. I am wearing a big, puffy black dress; yet, I have no shoes on. I scan the terrain and find a small black hole at the base of a tree. I take a step but instead of it hurting my feet, it actually feels soft like moss. It is quiet small, but I hear a soft voice coming from inside. I look down the hole but find no one in it. It is way too deep to see down the hole, but then something grasped my wrist and pulled me in. I began falling deep into the hole. The walls are coated with infected embedded into it. I try  to stay away from the walls, but one of them grasps my dress. I stop from my free fall. I thrash around trying to get away from it. Then I hear a slight laughter. That asshole!
"Daniel! Get me out of this!" I hear a snap and all the infected are gone. I, yet again, begin my free fall down the hole. I see the ground coming up fast. I embrace myself for the impact but feel none as I float to the ground. I land and see Daniel smiling.
"That was fun, wasn't it?" He grins. I run at him and nearly grasp his neck before something tugs me back.
"Why do you always do that to me?" I whine.
"Because you are confused about what to do about a baby," he points out. "Of course, you probably aren't pregnant. I should know," he chuckles.
"Wait, so you know if I am pregnant?"
"Why, of course, I do. I am in control of your mind and body."
"Then tell me! Am I pregnant or not?"
"It depends. I cannot decide if I want to make your life worse." At this moment, all I want to do was wring his neck.
"How would it make my life worse?"
"Oh, that's right. You don't know quite yet," he laughs. Now I am going to wring his neck. I lunge at him and push him to the ground. I begin betting at him until I finally open my eyes to find him missing. I turn around to find him smirking down at me. "You will find out shortly," he smiles. "Now wake up..."
I open my eyes to find Damien with his arms wrapped around me and his hand under my shirt, on my stomach. I push him off and fall to the ground. He gets up and picks me up off the ground. He looks me in the eyes. His eyes have sorrow in them.
"Love, what is the matter? Have I done something?" He asks.
"Nothing is the matter. I just didn't feel good," I smile. "Now let's go get some food." I pull him along and downstairs where I found Kayla walking around with Lily. It is so cute. That's how I would be if I had a baby. I look up at Damien and smile. He looks down at me and smiles back. He turns back to look at Kayla walking around. He wraps his arms around my shoulders. I stare up at him. As long as we are in these walls, nothing can hurt the people we love.

Sorry I have not posted in so long. I have been busy and I hate proofreading so my sister does it for me. I love ya guys!