chapter 19

"We got to get moving. A large group of zombies are coming this way. They will be here around tonight."
"What about Kaylee? We cannot be putting any more stress on her body."
"Damien, you can carry her for now, but we need to leave before tonight. We will get everyone up in a few hours." I feel the tent move and someone lay next to me.
"What are we going to do when that baby comes? I hope we are somewhere safe," Damien sighs. I cuddle up close to him.
"We will find somewhere someday," I smile snuggling my nose into his chest.
"Oh, so you're awake. I take it you heard our conversation?"
"I did. I can take care of myself though."
"You know you can't stress yourself. It is bad for the baby. We can worry about it later. We won't be leaving until later in the day. Get some more sleep," he lulls.
"I'm.. not sleepy..." I yawn. He begins humming. "You... are good at..." before I can finish my sentence, I am back asleep.
*Damien's POV*
I cautiously move away from Kaylee to let her sleep. For the past few hours she has been waking up crying; however, I do not think she remembers getting up. I push the tent door out of the way and step out. I still need to talk to George about places he might know that is safe against zombies. We need to find the perfect place for Kaylee to have our baby. I walk up to George.
"George, do you know a place where Kaylee can have her baby?"
"I know a place, but I don't know if it is clear or not. You remember the group I was in? I think that group might still be there; however, it will take longer than the place closer to here," George answers.
"How many months?" If it is too far then we will not take the risk.
"Five to six months, if we travel just in the day time. That is also if we don't run into any problems. I think we can deal with the walking to the camp, for her sake." He points towards the tent where Kaylee lay sound asleep.
I sigh," it is a risk I'm willing to take for her to have the baby safe without complications."
George clears his throat," that's not so true. Since she is pretty young, if she were to have twins then we could run into some complications; however, if we get her to the camp then we can prevent it. They have high-tech gear that can help," he whispers. I look back at Kaylee, who is sitting up with her knees to her chest. I walk back to the tent to find her crying.
"Kaylee, what's the matter?" She continues to sob into my arms, ignoring my question. She has done this all night: waking up crying, not answering my questions, and then falling back to sleep. "Why don't you go back to sleep?" She lays back down and I begin humming to her. For some odd reason, she likes when I hummed. I manage to get her back to sleep and go back to George.
"Take it she has been doing that all night?" He asks when I get to him.
"Yeah. I have managed to get her back to sleep every time though."
"It would not surprise me if she isn't traumatized. She might think that we will leave her in her sleep. It could also be..."
"The weird thing is, she just cries then goes back to sleep once I start humming. I ask her things, but she doesn't answer. It could be recurring nightmares. My mom is scared that she might turn in our sleep."
"Just keep an eye on her. If she starts showing any weird signs tell me. It looks like she is awake again," he points out. She is sitting up staring at her hand which is on her stomach.
"Okay, get some sleep George," I pat him on the back before making my way towards our tent. I climb in and close it behind me.
"Are you okay, Kaylee? Why don't you..."
"Do you think the baby is okay?" She quickly asks. She looks up at me with watery eyes. "Do you think the baby will survive in the outside world?" This startles me. She normally does not talk when she gets up.
"I think the baby is perfectly fine," I answer as I kiss her head.
"Can you lay with me?" She asks cuddling up to my chest. "Please stop leaving me."
"I haven't been leaving you," I say.
"Yes, you have. All night you have been leaving me to talk to people like George and Elizabeth."
"I'm sorry. We are trying to figure out a good place for you, me, the baby, and all the others. I won't leave anymore. Why don't you lay your head down?" I lean her back so she is laying down. She closes her eyes and falls asleep. She turns on her side so she was facing away from me. I wrap my arms around her waist and put my hands on her stomach where the baby will grow. This baby will grow big and strong, just like their mother.
*Kaylee's POV*
I wake to Damien having his arms wrapped around my waist and his hand on my stomach. The sun shines through the tent in which I have no idea how he is still asleep. Maybe I will bring him some breakfast. The tent has a zipper door. I fumble around with the door then fall through it. I get back up then make my way to where everyone is.
"Good morning," George says behind me.
"Morning," I stretch as I turn around. "Can I have some food to bring to Damien? I'm not hungry though." George grabs me a cup and pours some soup into it.
"This is all we have for now before we move on," he smiles.
"Where are we going anyway?" I ask.
"Somewhere safe," he answers. I leave him at that then go back to the tent. I climb in and set the plate down. He is still sound asleep so I straddle him.
"Damien," I coo. He wakes up with a start.
"What? What's going on?" He asks.
"I brought you breakfast," I smile holding up the plate. I get off of him and sit next to him. He sips some of the soup then looks at me.
"Why didn't you get any?"
"I am not hungry, but I knew you would probably be hungry so I went and got you food," I smile with my hands on knees looking him in the eyes. My eyes flicker with excitement.
"What are you thinking of?" He asks setting his plate down next to him after he finishes it.
"I'm wondering if it is a boy or a girl." He sighs and takes hold of my hands.
"Since we are going to be a family with the baby coming... I thought that we should be like a normal family."
"Damien, where is this going?" He takes a deep breath before looking me dead in the eyes.
"Kaylee, will you marry me?" He flips my hand over and places a ring in my hand. I cover my mouth. I know what marriage is and I have always dreamed of a beautiful wedding; however, that might not happen just as I planned.
"Where did you find this?" I ask choked up.
"While you were out we had to go get more supplies. Well, on the way there we got caught up in a group of zombies. I saw it glistening in the sunlight. Don't worry, I cleaned it off," he smiles as he places the ring on my finger. "So, what do you say? Will you marry me?"
"Yes!" I squeal. I hear people clapping and hooting outside of the tent. I look behind me and then back towards Damien.
"Yeah, I told them to wait outside the door to listen," he admits. I kiss him gently. Maybe we could live a normal life. Maybe a baby could live in a world like this.