chapter 17

The Care Center, a huge white building, sits in the middle of a large plain. From where I am standing there were no infected; however, there are bodies scattered all across the ground.
"Where are all the infected?" I ask as we head out into the middle of this minefield. "This is like a buffet for infected."
"I don't know, but I have a feeling they will be here soon. Everyone, fan out and see what you can scrimmage up. Kaylee, stay with Damien," he points at me. I followed Damien away among the dead bodies. We can hear Jacob shouting orders," Try to get as much as you can rummage up then head for the Care Center before the zombies get here." Damien kneels next to one of the bodies and begins rummaging through the clothes of the body. I walk a short distance away from Damien to find out something.
"Damien, these are soldiers!" I yell to him.
"I know, what do you think went down here?" He asks.
"I have no idea. I think this was a massacre. There is no way this many died from the infected; besides, if that was the case the infected would still be here feasting on their flesh. Someone or a group killed all these people in cold blood," I stand there in awe. How could this many people be killed? I mean, these soldiers are heavily armed. I feel extremely uncomfortable rummaging through these bodies. I kneel down next to one of the soldiers. It is a female with long brown hair, freckles covering her face and her eyes are still open. I push her eyes closed. What happened here?
At that moment I hear a few scattered snarls and growls. Looking around us, I see infected heading our way. It is not the normal size for a group of infected. This group is at least six or seven groups of at least twenty each. They must have smelled the stench of death lingering in the air. We are in a heep of trouble.
"We have infected!" I scream spinning around looking at all the infected. We are completely gridded. They are coming from all directions; north, south, east, and west. We could try to fight our way through to the Care Center, but it is going to be hard.
"Head for the Care Center!" George yells to everyone. We all begin running to the Care Center, but are  cut off by infected. We are each surrounded by a group, but me and Damien; however, are surrounded by two groups. Damien and I go back to back for this fight.
"We are trapped." I call.
"I know, but we need to get you to the Care Center. It is important to protect you and the baby. I told my mom it was a bad idea to bring you along," he replies. We attempt to avoid the group of infected heading our way, but are stopped by a group of infected. I pull my knife and gun out of their strap and begin killing infected while Damien shoots at the infected. The sound of his shooting are catching the attention of another group of infected. I notice the group of infected making their way behind Damien.
"Damien! Behind you!" He turns around but is too late. The infected are on top of him. Oh please God tell me he is not bit. I rum over to him and stab the infected. Luckily, there are only five on top of him which make it easier for me to kill them. This is a relatively small group. He is on the ground panting, but has no blood on him. His eyes are a bit glassy, maybe from being hit in the head by all the infected. "Damien, are you okay?"
"Yeah, just a bit dizzy and blurry-eyed."
"Well, let's get you into the Care Center." I call softly. I put his arm around my shoulder and begin making my way over to the Care Center. He is not all that heavy which makes my life a whole lot easier until a group of infected catches up with us. Just as I am about to be flanked by the group of infected I place Damien down and stab the first one. I need to get them away from Damien. I manage to get out of the group and shoot off my gun three times and scream angrily. The infected come towards me, leaving Damien out in the open, but safe from the group. This is a group of five. It will not be hard to kill them; however, I can probably out run them. That is, until I tripped on a dead body. I am vulnerable on my back to the infected which are now on top of me. I stab the one to my left and shoot the one to my right. I sholt at the third one but miss its head. I kick it away but one of them dive at me.
I feel a sharp, excruciating pain in my side. I scream and sholt it. I fend off the last infected and look down at my side. All I see is blood. Please say I'm not bit. I slowly peel my shirt up to reveal a bloody bite mark. No no no. This isn't real. This is all just a dream. I pinch my arm as hard as I can. It hurt so much. Oh my God. I am actually gonna die from a bite. This is my worst nightmare. I run back over to Damien. When I go to reach for Damien, I notice the tips of my fingers already beginning to turn black. I ignore it though. My main goal right now is getting Damien to safety. The next goal is to rid myself of this world. I cannot take the risk of infecting anyone I love. It is hard to pick him up now because of my fatigue from being bit. It feel like he is five hundred tons. I look over to see the rest of the group run by infected.
"Guys! Get to the Care Center now!" I scream. They all begin making their way towards the Care Center instead of worrying about killing the infected. I carry Damien as fast as I can. First George makes it to the Care Center, then Zachariah, and then Jacob. They all cover me as I make it into the Care Center. They close the huge iron door behind me while I lean Damien up against a wall. Damien reachs his hand towards my side but I move back.
"Are you okay?" I ask.
"I'm fine," he answers rubbing his head. "Are you okay? You are bleeding."
"No, I'm fine. It is just the infected's blood. Let's just go look...
"Infected don't bleed. I am not stupid. Now let me see the cut!" He yells angrily. I stop and my eyes became watery.
"I am fine. I'm going that way. I love you and I'm glad you are okay," I smile sadly. I turn around just as a tear rolls down my face. I walk away into a room and close the door behind me. I need to do this quick. Damien already does not like when I'm alone, but since I am hurt and pregnant he has been even more protective. I take my gun out and put it to my head. My hands shake uncontrollably. I feel the tears running down my face. All I have to do was pull the trigger. It isn't that hard, is it? I fall to my knees and put my hands up to my face. How can I do this? No, I have to do this. My fingers are already turning black.
I put the gun back up against my head. Just as I am about to pull the trigger, the gun flings out of my hand. I turn to find Damien and George.
"What are you doing?" He asks angrily and upset. I ignore him and stand up with tears still running down my face.
"You won't get it." I begin walking away from him until I Jacob and Zachariah stop me at the door. They both grab each of my arms and hold me tight. I squirme and scream in their arms. I know I am not getting out of this. I finally give up and go limp. I feel a hand run across my cheek. It is not like Damien's soft, strong hands. It is slightly rough; yet, tender hand. I look up and see Daniel. He smiles.
"I told you I had a plan for you. Now, they are really coming."
"They are coming," I say out loud. At that second the sound of the iron doors slam against the opposite walls rings throughout the building. Jacob and Zachariah let go of me then shut the door behind us. The infected push up against the door.
"We are not going to be able to hold this long! Damien, get her out of here!" Jacob yells. Damien looks around the room but there is no exit. I guess I'll just have to make my own exit. I run at a window. Right before I actually hit the window I tuck and roll. I stand back up and wait for Damien. He jumps through the window and begins running. I run beside him and when he looks over at me, I smile. Right when I smile, I hear a piercing white noise, I cannot see, and have  a splintering headache. The infection is getting to me. I stumble around with my hands on my head. I hit up against a tree. This is when I feel a hand touching my leg. Instantly, my vision goes back to normal, my headache goes away, and the piercing white noise vanishes as well. I look up at Damien. He looks.... different. I can see all his features as if they were advanced. All my senses are heightened incredibly. He picks me up and begins running with me. I look behind us to see the rest of the group being followed by infected although they are very far away.
"Damien, put me down! We have to help them!" He ignores me. I shake my head. "At least give me a gun so that I can help them!" I scream. He hands me a gun. That is when I begin shooting out infected from over half a mile away without hitting anyone from our group. This is incredible. Is this what happens before you turn? No it was impossible. My mom died minutes after being bit. After four rounds the gun is completely empty. The rest of the group finally catches  up with us and the infected give up their relentless chase after fresh meat. Damien will not put me down even once we are safe. When we make it to "camp" Damien sets me down and reaches for my side.
"Stop it! I'm fine!" I yell pushing him away.
"No you aren't! The blood spot has gotten bigger and if you don't let me see I can't help you!" He retorts. He grabs for me, but I push him back harder. He is now fighting me to see my side. I scream and flarenaround as he tries to look at the bite. Jacob and Zachariah are at Damien side trying to lift my shirt off. Somehow, by some strange force, I am barely stronger than them even if they all three try at the same time. I feel a pinch on my left arm. I look over that way to see George pulling a needle out of my arm. I soon feel sleepy. Even as I am falling asleep, I still push them away. I fight the sleepiness as long as I can, until I cannot take it any more. The strain on my body becomes unbearable and unstable so I let the medicine take control. I fall asleep into a messed up wonderland.