chapter 15

A whole three weeks pass. It's been slow and steady. Lily Rin has been growing quiet a bit of hair. She is still kinda small. These days have been calm and collective. It is nice: no drama, no fighting, no infected.
I open my eyes to screaming and wailing. I feel the bed for Damien; yet, it is empty.
"Damien!" I scream. That's when it hit me. Something doesn't feel right. I do not have enough time to put clothes on. I pull Damien's shirt off the floor and grab my knives and guns. I strap them to my thigh with the gun and knife strap Jacob gave me, then proceed to make my way downstairs. The first person I need to find is Kayla. Damien can take care of himself, but Kayla cannot with the baby. I push the door open and see the chaos. People shooting, screaming and running. Ignoring them, I make my way to Kayla's house.
The first thing I notice walking into her house is the stench. I run up the stairs to find two infected eating at Kayla. I gasp and catch the attention of one of the infected. Then I hear the crying in the room next to me. The door is locked so I kick the door. The door's hinges are worn so they break off easily. I run into the room and quickly grab Lily Rin, who is bawling. Cradling her in my arms, I scan the room for any other forms of life but find none. I rock her back and forth then hear the infected at the door. It comes inside and lunges at me. I dodge it then bolt out of the door.
I find a fire blazing and the infected is back to Kayla. I cry as I think of how I am going to take care of Lily Rin. What if Ethan is dead as well? An infected gets in my path out of the camp. It is no longer safe here for the building is up in a blaze and infected now control our territory. After making my way out of the camp, I call for Damien. I continue calling his name until I finally heard my name being called. I turn to the left to find Damien running towards me. I hold Lily Rin as close as I can to me. I stand where I am until Damien gets to me. When he does, he wraps his arms around me. I bawl into his arms.
"Where is Kayla?" He asks.
"She's dead!" I exclaim crying even more. We both look back at the camp. The whole camp is up in flames. "Is anyone else alive?" I sniffle.
"I don't know." That's when we hear people yelling from the left of us. We turn to find a group of people. They run to us. I hear Ethan calling for Kayla from in the crowd. He pushes through the crowd then stop when he sees me cradling Lily Rin. He looks me straight in the eyes.
"Where is she?" He asks, choked up. I shake my head.
"I found two infected eating at her. Luckily I found Lily Rin in her crib safe from harm. The door was locked so I think Kayla knew they were coming," I feel the tears run down my face. He grabs Lily Rin from me and then hands her to Elizabeth. He turn back towards me and punches me. I fall to the ground and there is an uproar of voices.
"You let her die!" He screams while Jacob and Zachariah hold him back. I do not move. Why would I let her die? She was my friend. I stand up facing away from him with my head down.
"You think I would let her die? Do you really think I would let a friend of mine die?" I begin walking away. Damien grabs my wrist, but I shake him off. I continue walking until I am alone Then I lean up against a tree, slid down it, and cry. I do not cry in front of people, often. This gives me time to think. No safe home for me and Damien. I do not know how many people are still alive. As long as Damien is okay, I'll be fine. I place my hand on my stomach and looked down. What am I going to do?

*Note*

This is a very short chapter, I know.  I am so so happy I am at 600 views and to my new followers, I hope you guys are liking this book. Now, let the action commence!