ii. 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐲

Prompt: Meeting the Family

"Family is a life-jacket in the stormy sea of life." - JK Rowling

Luka gawked at the sheer size and elegance of the Manor

"Oh my-" Marinette's jaw dropped.

However, all that surprise disappeared once the nerves surfaced in his stomach. He was going to meet the rest of his family.

Marinette squeezed his hand and smiled at him. "Don't worry, it'll be fine."

Luka chose to believe her.

The car slid smoothly into the imposing gates of the Manor.

"If I may, can I say something?" Alfred asked politely.

Luka stared at him. He wasn't exactly sure how to talk to Alfred. "Yes?" It sounded more of a question than a statement.

"You shouldn't be so worried." Alfred put it bluntly.

Goggling at him, Luka wondered if he was so obvious. "I...uh-"

Alfred gave him a faint smile from the rearview mirror. "Master Bruce and the others are also...apprehensive. They have been waiting for a long time to see you."

That was...cryptic.

Exchanging a confused look with Marinette, Luka sighed. Strangely enough, he felt reassured by Alfred's quiet statement.

☆☆☆☆☆

Bruce sighed and rubbed his temples as he, along with everyone else (including Steph and Barb), waited in anticipation for his newest child.

"20 dollars he turns out to be as emotionally constipated as B," Jason said brashly into the silent room.

Looking up, Bruce gave him a glare with no real heat behind it. "Jason."

"You're on." Tim, who was scrolling through his phone with his trustee coffee cup by his side, said.

Bruce stared at him. He didn't expect Tim to agree - actually he was expecting Dick to.

"They're probably the most nervous out of all of us," murmured Dick.

At Bruce's questioning look, he elaborated. "The new kid? He's about their age. Well...at least Tim's. I think Jason's afraid he's going to be like Damian or something."

That, in Bruce's opinion, was a well-founded fear. At least Luka wasn't raised by assassins.

Anything else Dick was going to say was cut off by the door being unlocked and Alfred's gentle voice. "Come along, Master Luka, Miss Marinette. They are waiting in the hall."

If Bruce strained his ears, he could hear his son fumbling. "You don't have to call me that..." he was saying.

Bruce hid a smile. It was impossible to stop Alfred from doing that.