10. His Gift(s)

I sat in the tree above our cave, peacefully watching the scenery below. I shut my eyes and relaxed into my branch, the rustling of the leaves enveloping my ears. A sudden presence appears behind me, making my head perk up as I turn my head quickly. "Good afternoon, Y/N!" Rengoku shouted. I flinched and tilted over, beginning to fall out of the tree. Rengoku grabbed the back of my Haori and dangled me off the tree.

He pulled me back up near the middle of the tree which had more support, and gently sat me down. I looked over to the side and sat my hands in my lap. "Thanks." I say. He nods in response. He then cleared his throat and began to speak. "Y/N! Please accept my gift of gratitude for understanding the situation a few days ago, and accepting my apology!" He boldly spoke out before bowing a little and reaching behind himself. I tilted my head in anticipation and waited patiently.

His hands seemed to be a bit shaky, which made me assume the gift was quite fragile, which was wrong. He pulled out a small wooden box from behind himself, before looking me in the eyes and forcing the box onto my chest. I hesitantly grabbed the box and smiled at Rengoku. "Thank you, Rengo-" "Your welcome! I-I must be off now!" He cut me off..

I sighed as he hopped out of the tree and onto the ground below, waving at me before running away into the forest. I looked down at the box and opened it, coming to find a cute tiny version of Rengoku's sword. The grip had been wrapped in white string, meaning this cute little blade was meant to be worn as a charm or necklace. I picked up the small note left beside the blade, it read "If ever needed. Hand crafted with love and care, Kyojuro Rengoku."

I became extremely flustered and looked back to where Rengoku had ran off to previously before. I noticed a sudden flash of light from that direction, and a hard gust of wind. I fell out of the tree, but swiftly used my training to land on my feet. I sighed and swooned, walking happily with the blade held in my right hand. He got me a gift! How sweet of him. I held a bright Aura and smile on my face. Though I couldn't help but shake the feeling that I was being watched. 

!(Third person POV)!

Rengoku's heart raced as he stood beside a tree, happy to see Y/N enjoying his thoughtful gift. A few moments prior, Rengoku had ran away from his spot where he was looking at Y/N after nearly being caught. Thats what the loud rumble and flash of light was. Rengoku was so afraid of being spotted and showing too much vulnerability, that he had unknowingly used more of his ability than intended.

He sighed in relief and stood patiently, watching the demon in front of him. He smiled sincerely at the sight of the one who had caught his attraction. He stood up straight and took one last sight of Y/N, before wandering off to take care of his own personal affairs. 

#First Person#

I lay down on my bed of fauna, and thought about how to repay him for being so generous to a demon like me. After a very thoughtful 30 minutes, I had come up with the best plan to return the gift. I removed my Haori and proceeded to change my pants into shorts. Rengoku had purchased some clothing items that could hardly fit him a little while before we met, and it just so happens they fit me perfectly. Considering Rengoku has a much more muscular and firm build than I, I can't really imagine him buying the wrong size. 

Anyways, I made my way out of our cave, and got into a running position. I would time myself using my subconscious as a timer. I raised myself up , and began to count up the seconds in my head. I ran around frantically searching for edible herbs, spices, or whatever I could come across really. I managed to find some wild peppers and berries to use for the meal I would prepare for Rengoku while he was away. I found a few wild geese and ducks by a pond a few meters away from where I would normally bathe. 

I ended their lives quickly and painlessly, thanking them for their sacrifice, even if it was an unwilling one. I jogged back to the cave and began to prepare my gracious offer to Rengoku. This would be my final sign of trust to him. I put all of my cut up vegetables and meat into the pot we had brought over from the headquarters. The master had felt it would make our lives easier. I started the fire beneath the pot and added a bunch of water, and a bit of blood from the creatures I had decided to cook for him. I also added a bit of  "mountain potato" I discovered in a field near the base of our now native mountain. It smelled delicious. I sighed happily and held the blade Rengoku gave me in my hand. I had used it to prepare the meal we would be eating tonight.

Rengoku would normally do the cooking, which if I am being honest, he was kind of bad at. It was edible and tasted fine, but he made a few mistakes here and there. "I love him so much....he better enjoy this damned meal! I nearly broke my back searching for these ingredients." I ticked. I went over to the box I was always carried around during the daytime in, and grabbed my flute. Its been a little while since I held it in my hands. It felt bigger than I remembered honestly. I shut my box and walked to the near front of the cave, beginning to play my lovely songs.

I furrowed my brows and smiled a bit as the smell of the cherries filled my nose. Opening my eyes, I noticed a few woodland creatures nearby take interest in my playing, some daring to near closer to me. A deer trotted up to me confidently, and laid beside me, resting its head against my lap. My eyes watered at how cute it was, and how much it trusted me. The leaves in the trees above began a glow beautiful crimson and pink hues, filling my eyes with stimulation. 

The scent of the food invaded my nose, signifying it would be done soon. Tilting my head as I played the last few notes, a tit landed on my shoulder, curiously looking at me. I sighed and finished my last few notes. I looked at the tit and smiled, before it playfully flapped its wings in my face. I laughed a little before the deer slowly sat up, it moved over to lick my face, allowing me to pet its head in the process. The tit jumped onto the back of the deer, and they headed off into the distance. My heart skipped a beat as the voices of my deceased siblings ran into my head. 

'We pray for your safety, we will be watching over you

'We pray for your safety, we will be watching over you.' Spoke my eldest brother. 'We don't wanna see you face to face! You got that!?' My younger brother sternly spoke at my. My breath hitched as tears formed in my eyes. 'Ah....he means you shouldn't die to see us again. Goodbye, Y/N. We love you.' The image of them waving goodbye filled my mind. I sobbed a little and watched as the deer and the cute little bird faded off into the distance, seeming to fade from reality in general.

I can't believe they would come to me at a time like this. Why...why are they warning me to stay safe. Whats going on? And why did they come when I'm a demon of all times. After the death of our parents, they resented demons, and were soon slaughtered by them a few months after. I of course, had to be the only one to survive. It was a tragedy. My eldest brother, 24, and my youngest brother, 15, just came to warn me about death. 

What is going to happen to me..

%To be continued..% (1404 words)