16. Recovery

I slowly opened my eyes, which felt like they had been crusted over for years. I groaned and sat up, looking around the room. I resided in an unfamiliar place, and I felt a bit exhausted still. I felt something quickly shift beside me, and looked to see Rengoku with wide eyes, staring at my face. His breath hitched and he quickly stood up, opening his arms for me. I gave him a small smile and turned towards him from my previous position. I wrapped my arms around him as he squeezed me tightly, seeming to be excited for my awakening. "Y/N! It feels like its been years since I've seen you awake!" He said with excitement. I laughed a little and patted his back before trying to pull away. Rengoku hesitated, but let me go.

"Yeah. I feel a bit restless still too." I yawned. Rengoku crossed his arms and stared at me with a flustered expression, seeming to enjoy hearing my voice. "I would often worry for your death, but I always remembered that you can't die unless it is by blade." He spoke with sadness lacing his tone. I sighed and pushed my legs off of my resting place, before standing up. Rengoku cautiously held his arms out in case I needed support, and patiently waited for me to get steady. "Thank you, Rengoku. You really know how to be supportive!" I laughed at him. His face went cherry red as he nodded and rested his hand on my head. 

Looking at his face once more, I couldn't help but notice a very obvious scar left over the left side of his face, that went across his eyelids, and down his cheek. My eyes widened as I brought his face down to my level, inspecting him cautiously. "Rengoku!? Are you alright!?" I said in a concerned tone. He gave me a soft smile before speaking out. "Yes, I'm all right. I'm only recovering from an arm fracture. My eye has been gone since you first went to sleep. I'm working on a patch." He said and stood up straight. 

I sighed with content as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "Ah! Your love confession to me! We should go on a date sometime." He shouted. I quickly shushed him with a flustered expression and covered my face with one of my hands. "I forgot...I was so scared of dying that I let out all my feelings at once. It must have been overwhelming. I'm sorry." I said looking at the ground. Rengoku laughed and shook his head. "It only calmed the pressure I felt to hide my feelings until further notice. Oh! That reminds me. You have been asleep for 3.5 weeks, my dear." Rengoku said. My eyes widened as I looked up at him. He nodded his head and guided me around the area. I came to find that I was in the butterfly estate.

As we walked around, we heard many protesting screams and thuds from across the rooms. I sighed and opened the door which the noises had been coming from. There I found Tanjiro, Inosuke, and Zenitsu. "Oh! Um...h-hello, Mr. Y/N." One of the young girls spoke. They looked a bit afraid of me, considering I was a demon. I perked up with a bright smile and spoke happily. "Hello young ladies! What seems to be the problem with these boys." I asked and bent down to their height a bit. They loosened up before pointing at Zenitsu.

 "Zenitsu won't take his medicine! He may have suffered very minor injuries, but its just to ensure he doesn't get sick while recovering." One girl said. 

"Tanjiro is too persistent! He keeps on working out instead of resting when he needs to!" The shortest of the girls said. 

"And Inosuke is too loud and obnoxious! He challenges anyone who dares to look at him 'funny'! He's only bruised and here for moral support anyways..". The last spoke. 

I tilted my head while standing up before nodding my head, soon approaching Zenitsu. Zenitsu looked up at me as I loomed over him, his tear stained face glowing bright red. I sighed and sat in the chair beside his bed, picking up the medicine beside him. "Y-Y/N! I can't drink that stuff even once! How am I supposed to gargle and swallow that 2 times everyday for 3 days straight!?" He questioned. I squinted my eyes at him before blowing on the drink, watching it turn a bright pink color. The liquid now had a rosy pink shade, and smelled of cherries. 

"Here Zenitsu. This should be much better for you now." I held out the drink to him with a charming smile. Zenitsu stared at me with a flustered expression, and sniffled before taking the drink and hogging it down in one go. He sighed afterwards, before bowing and thanking me. "Thank you, Y/N! That was much more bearable!" He hugged me and stood up, prancing around happily. I laughed a bit before heading to Tanjiro. He had been doing a few push ups beside his bed. I squinted my eyes at him as he turned and looked at me, laughing with nervousness. He stood up and smiled at me. 

"Tanjiro. I really have a connection to you, and I care for you as well. So think of me as your new elder brother, and listen to me. As your older brother, I suggest you rest. Over working your muscles could cause you fatigue, weight loss, exhaustion, and a reduced appetite. It could especially cause you pain, and could make it harder for you to perform. If your muscles are too tight to allow you to stretch, how could you fight demons?" I spoke informatively. Tanjiro grew a little flustered by my sincerity, and nodded his head. "It may be beneficial to train your body to withstand fighting, but you have got to rest okay?" I said while gently seating him on his bed. Tanjiro nodded with a smile. "Yes I understand! Thank you so much, Y/N!" He said happily. I pat him on the head as he shut his eyes. I soon turned to Inosuke, suddenly growing stern.

He shook a little as I approached him, my eyes glowing red. I growled a little as I rose my hand and grabbed him by the back of the neck. I lifted him off the ground as a mother cat would with her children. He struggled to get out of my grip as I dragged him out of the room and passed Rengoku, who actually shivered a little. I carried him outside and plopped him onto the ground before cracking my knuckles. "You wanna fight and cause a ruckus? Lets fight then.."

^Rengoku POV^

I jumped as I listened to the sounds of crashing objects and broken pottery by the windows. I looked over and saw the silhouette of the boar child pressed up against the window through the curtains. He was then quickly pulled off the window as I heard more crashing and battle cries. I heard a few whimpers come out of the boy in yellow, before the sounds came to an end. It seemed as though the dust was beginning to settle. 

^Y/N POV^

I panted heavily and held my bruise cheek as I carried Inosuke back to his room. He put up no fight, and held his mask in one of his hands. I walked passed Rengoku once more with a frown on my face. I placed Inosuke on his feet and turned him towards Zenitsu and the girls. "Now apologize. And apologize for scratching me too." I stated firmly whilst crossing my arms. Inosuke looked them all in the eye, before hesitantly bowing and apologizing. Just for clarification, I did not harm Inosuke enough to traumatize him, or put him in too much pain. I just tossed him around a bit to satisfy his needs for a fight. He seemed pretty scared though. 

"Good. Now go lay down, and wait for the girls to assist you with your bruises." I pointed to his bed. He nodded and went over to his bed, laying down and covering himself with the blanket. I sighed and turned to Rengoku, who flinched and looked away from me. "Lets go." I said to him with a soft smile while grabbing his hand. He tensed up and walked beside me out of the room. "Y-yes sir!" He said. I laughed a bit before giving him a soft kiss on the cheek, causing him to heat up. Funny thing is, I could have sworn I saw steam pour out of his ears and nose. 

*To be continued* ((1443 words))